Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Post your DISASTER Scar treatments here

PLEASE - do NOT post questions here, just facts. Thanks.

Thanks to Niko for suggesting this.

Me: Skin Culture peels were a disaster, not only the 10 day downtime, but my face was left with more scarring than before ..... and it broke me out.

Not a disaster - but Elicina does NOT work

Picked at cheeks while still slightly scabbed which left little indented scars. Then, took sandpaper to do a home dermabrasion. Left with larger indented areas. I am sooooo depressed over this.

At Home Micrdermabrasion rendered several scatch-like scars. What a mistake!!!

Two Cortisone Shots left several unattractive small scars along my left jawline that look like one huge scar! devastating :)

Attempting to manipulate a cyst by squeezing it until the pus came out while on accutane left me with most of the scars I still bear 3 years later. I manipulated several on my left cheek which left me with 5 hideously noticeable pockmarks. I had a similar breakout on my right cheek and did not manipulate. Consequently, the scars are very shallow and hardly noticeable on my right cheek compared to my left one. A personal experiment on my skin and a bad experience. I still feel the pain from doing that to this day!

Also, tried mederma skin care for scars and it broke me out and did nothing to improve the pockmarked scarring. I used it for a whole year to no avail. What a waste of time. It's crap.

I had Erbium:Yag (ablative laser) and my ice-pick became ~3 times wider!!! It also left me with some hyper- and hypopigmentation. Very long downtime!

Laser just don't work on deeper pits! A V O I D!!!

I'd say that's good advice Maria.

I also had a full facial Erbium peel, and I too wish I never would have done it, for all the reasons you said.

First off, it cost me 4000. Then, it didn't even improve my deep scars at all, and even made one much much more noticeable. To top it off, I too have areas of hypo and hyper pigmentation, which are ugly and a real pain in the butt. Not to mention, like you said, a very long and nasty down time.

Avoid ablative lasers, the cost and side effects are not worth the potential improvement which you most likely would not see anyway.

My problem is not so much of a 'disaster'.

I used diluted apple cider vinegar on my face and a few days later got dark patches on my forehead. What's strange is I completely avoided going out and I still got patches!

Thanks to isotretinoin, they have faded.And hopefully mandelic acid will finish the job.

Mederma is good for scars everywhere except the face (or places where you are acne prone). It causes me to break out a LOT.

I tried the tape method hoping to get rid of the red marks faster. My skin was sensitive from Differin. I yanked the tape off and end up pulling skin off. I have a small scar on my left cheek. Luckily I have a dimple there so it sort of not too noticeable.

My face was RED from using apple cider - again hoping to get rid of the red spots.

So far the only thing that I found works wonder for my skin is drink a lot of lemon juice. Lemon juice and exercise make my skin radiant.

I had CO2 laser resurfacing and only got minimal improvement in my forehead area. But most areas were worse, as the scars became bigger and more noticeable. I am left with orange peel looking skin.

The down time was very long--a little over a month, plus there was so much you had to do post-op. I wear contacts, and I couldn't put them in for about 2 weeks. Nor could I wear my glasses for a month because of having Aquafor on my face. So my husband had to change my dressings for the first week. This is not something you can do by yourself if you wear glasses or contacts.

Then a month and a half after my laser resurfacing, I broke out all over with cystic acne. HUGE cysts, plus medium small ones, all over my face. My doc said I would get millia, but instead I got the worse flareup of cystic acne ever. To emphasize how bad it was, I went in for a post-op checkup at my laser doc's office, wearing no makeup. The nurses and desk clerks gasped when they saw my face. The esthetician (who works for the doc), kept trying to console me. I LOOKED AWFUL, and the cysts left me with new scars, which negated the resurfacing.

Things got even worse, which leads me into the next disastrous treatment: CORTISONE SHOTS. My laser doc injected the biggest cysts with too strong a cortisone solution. I had four dents in my face, included one that is an inch long by my mouth. Three dents finally raised up after 6 months. But the biggest and longest dent is still there. My doc has injected me twice with Radiance filler, but the dent comes back. It does not seem to be filling in much.

Two dermatologists claim the cortisone dents will fill in, but the doc who performed my laser resurfacing says it is permanent.

My laser doc wants to take an after pic of me, but I don't think so, as my "after" is worse than my "before."

I did laser resurfacing because I suffer from such a low self-esteem. I have had acne since I was 9 years old (I'm 45), so it's so depressing to see all these scars. My laser doc initially predicted an 80% improvement, but it's been one year already and I'm afraid it is only about 15% mainly in the forehead area. Cheeks, the side of my forehead and my chin look WORSE, and I'm stuck with a big dent near my mouth from the cortisone.

About 18 years ago, I did a dermabrasion, but after the swelling went down, I only had 10% improvement in the acne scars.

Needless to say, DO NOT believe what these cosmetic surgeons say about laser resurfacing or dermabrasion. You will NOT get 50-80% improvement of your scars. You'll be lucky if you get even 20%.

IPL 6 treatments / no improvement

Skin Culture Peel / no improvement and couldnt leave the house for 1.5 weeks!

Lactic Acid 50% Peels / very little improvement

retin-a (isotrex gel) / used for 1.5 years and no imporvement, just gave me lots of acne for 2 months initially

microdermabrasion made my scars look worse. I had alliderm injections cost $700.00 no improvement not one bit. Live and learn.

My scarring is/was relatively moderate. Mostly boxcar, some icepick and a few rolling scars on my left cheek.

The first doctor I went to (Dr. Jacobs, Skokie, Il. "Harvard Graduate"...big deal..) did a subcision treatment on rolling scars and about 5 punch excisions on icepick scars. Subcision seemed OK, but 2 of the 5 excisions opened back up leaving me with a bigger more noticeable scar. (I had also had had a C02 apnt. scheduled with her for 6 mo. post accutane)

I went to a different doctor (Dr. Lack, Des Plaines Il.) for a second opinion. Learned that my skin was too sebacious for the punch excision and that I should wait AT LEAST a year before the CO2. So I let this doctor do more subcision. This would have been OK but he literally made a tear on my face in one area that he was treating (the right side of my furrow between my eyebrows enhancing a deep wrinkle) with the needle he used for subcision. Immediately after treatment I asked about it (with my face blown up with all the swelling) his exact words to me were

"that doesn't exist!"

My next appointment was a Botox injection which his partner

(Dr. Rachel), at the office, ended up giving to me.

I decided I liked Dr. Rachel better and continued my treatment plan with him. Next we did 2 TCA spot treatments. (have you ever heard of TCA "spot treatments".) The first one seemed OK, the second one I wasn't too happy with. He used a higher concentration the second time. I decided not to continue with the TCA. The last treatment I had was a VLS laser treatment. It was only one treatment and I think he used a low dose. Can't really see any improvement. Basically I've stopped all treatments since last spring because I felt that though there were small mild improvements in some areas overall I had (maybe) bigger or just different scars than what I started with. It is hard for me to say if there is any improvement at all compared to what I started with. I've since gotten cold feet. But am feeling more hopeful with this new information about the Smooth Beam.

I deffinitely would not reccomend these doctors for acne scar revision.

This is actually a post in the smoothbeam blistering thread, I think it is appropriate to post it here too.

Micro Dermabrasion

I had 3 micro derm in 2003, about a month apart each. The purpose was to thin the epidermis a little, so that Retin-A can be absorbed better. As a result of the micro derms, a lot of my narrower icepicks (especially the ones on my nose) became huge pore like scars. That led me to resort to smoothbeam ....

Smoothbeam

I had SB at setting of 12 in October 2003.

1. It left a large dark patch below my right cheek.

2. My treated skin has a slightly unatural, melted look like burnt scar. They no longer blend with my normal skin like before.

3. Area below both cheeks becomes very wrinkly.

4. There is no improvement whatsoever on the icepicks, but that is the least of my concern now. I just want my pre-SB skin back.

It has been 3 months, and I have had 3 TCA Complexion peels since December, and have used Mandelic acid on a regular basis. But the dark patch has not faded a bit. This area's skin feels a lot thinner and weaker than before the SB.

I am 37 and have medium asian skin.

Do not do laser resurfacing with any of the lasers.

These made my face break out. Some of the breakouts caused new scars. For the old scars, none look any better than before. I believe I had the Yag laser.

I don't even know why lasers are considered as an acne scar treatment... who in the world classified lasers as acne scar revision. This is such bogus. The pulsed-dye laser and smoothbeam is the same crap i think... carbon-based lasers... the risks are that they cause infection such as more break outs. A recent study was presented at a dermatologic conference regarding the before and after results of smoothbeam - the dermatlogists laughed becuase they couldn't notice any difference in the photos.