Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey just wondering- does alcohol cause ppl to break out? i drank a lot all throughout last year and had bad acne and stopped drinking about 10 monthes ago and didnt notice much of a difference. my acne has gotten better (mostly in the past 3 monthes) since then but thats just b/c of the more intense treatments i've had (i think). but i just read another post saying that alcohol can cause acne. just wanted to hear some other ppl's take on it. i guess the alcohol could have caused my acne, b/c my definetley acne definetly got ALOT worse last year, but i dont know if alcohol was a factor in that...obviously there were several things that could have been factors.

Quite simply alcohol puts a terrible stress on your liver, which means that your liver has less time to neutralise other toxins. Alcohol is also highly acidifying dropping the pH-levels in your body. Acne causing bacteria strives on acidic environments and alcohol is directly contributing to that.

Mixing it with fibre and lemon juice can help a bit, but not too much. Fibre probably bind some of the alcohol so that it's not absorbed and lemon juice has an alkalising effect. But don't count them to completely counterbalance the effect of alcohol.

Alcohol also dehydrates you ... dehydrated skin is more prone to comedone formation.

That being said, I have never personally noticed a link between alcohol consumption and acne.

very true

we all know that its not going to be "good" for your skin

however ive never noticed any sort of link with getting drunk, and getting acne. :cool::dance:

party on ! :)

When I used to drink, I noticed tht beer made me break out worse than hard alcohol drinks.

Consider the secondary results of alcohol consumption and it's effect on acne:

When you drink, especially heavily, you're REM sleep is affected, as in you get less of it. Less REM sleep, less rest. I personally notice that my skin does better when I'm well rested and get enough sleep. And actually, "well rested and get enough sleep" is actually a redundant statement. Because getting enough sleep, with the proper amount of REM sleep, results in being well rested.

You get dehydrated when you drink. We all know what wonders being well hydrated with simple water can do for skin. Some people will live off of diet coke, coffee, tea, alcohol....but hardly ever drink a nice glass of water. Our bodies need water -- our liver and kidneys need water. Being dehydrated from alchohol consumption works against that.

And of course, the obvious problem with alcohol is that it puts stress on the liver. Now if you are taking accutane or antibiotics or one of these people who insist on overdosing on vitamins, consider that your liver is already in far too much stress as it is. Why give it added burden?

And I have a questio for all the carb/sugar experts: Doesn't alcohol convert, at least to some extenet, to sugar in our system? With all these candida debates going on, wouldn't alcohol be one more thing on the "don't consume" list?

I haven't had a drink in awhile and plan on keeping up with abstaining until I do a few more liver flushes. But what are some other ways to reduce harm caused by alcohol?

I know saturated fats like coconut oil can help when you consume them before drinking, so a nice meal of fat + fiber before drinking could be the first step. Vegetable juices the day after are a great way to put nutrients back in the system, give much needed anti oxidants to the liver and rehydrate. N-Acetyl Cysteine increases gluthathione levels which protect the liver as well. And like someone said, lemon juice can help with vitamin C + it's akalizing effect and general benefit to the liver.

drinking doesnt ALWAYS affect your skin "ihatespots"

cat_power drinks like a fish and she has lovely skin hehe

and i enjoy getting rather wasted on weekends and my skin isnt bad.

dont let acne live your life for you man!

You know if you drinks some liquid or mix some powder Chlorella it can help prevent any acne breakouts. Chlorella is known to detox your body, improve digestion, helpful in fighting cancer, has natural digestive and other enzymes, balance your body's ph, and normalize blood sugar and blood pressure. If you drink a lot chlorella is known to reduce your hangover. "Chlorella is capable of removing alcohol from the liver. A Japanese study showed that taking 4-6gm of chlorella before consuming alcohol can prevent a hangover 96% of the time!" Thus, reducing stress on your liver. Chlorella contains more chlorophyl than any known plant.

http://www.ugamedia.com/links/chlorella.html

http://www.healingdaily.com/oral-chelation...f-chlorella.htm

Guest ihatespots

lol lucky her and u! nah my skin was great last week then i got wasted on monday and thursday and on friday major break-out :( i think it affects me,exactly what takes my mind off it.bummer.

of course it does

Few reasons - High sugar link - Generally when ure out drinking u get hot etc - Stress on liver or body in general

I have been told that drinking clearer spirits or organic wine is best (obviously organic wine is impossible to get in clubs!).

I tried going to whisky but seems to cause breakouts

I guess most things that are fun / tasty for teenagers and alike are bad for the skin but sometimes you have to indulge

All these "yes it does, and here's why" reasons might make sense on paper, but having lived in a dorm for quite a few years and participated wayyyyy too many times with the binge drinking common among college students, I can contest that drinking alcohol has never caused my skin to worsen.

I started a thread recently about alcohol too-I really didnt want to have to become a teetotaler (!) but at the moment I am.The last time I drank alcohol was about 3 weeks ago.So, I'm gonna leave my skin recover and then maybe go out for an (alcoholic) drink with my friends and if my skin gets a lot worse, I think I'll probably have to stay away from alcohol on a long-term basis! :rolleyes:

The old statement "Everything in moderation" is a practical piece of advice too.Don't drink too much in one night and don't drink every night!If you get completely inebriated on a regular basis its gonna wreak havoc on your skin!...Or at least thats what my experience has been.

I used to think I needed alcohol to enjoy a day/night in the pub.But its actually probably even more fun to watch other people make complete drunken idiots of themselves while I maintain my dignity and I also have the ability to drive home afterwards while other people have to spend 20-30 euro on a taxi! :cool:

Yes i do (about the drinking like a fish bit lol)! But i'm unsure whether it has an effect or not on my skin given that i'm on doxy as well...who knows, acne is as fucking random as they come