Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, first off 8 months ago I believed that there was no diet-acne relation. Now I see it as a cure (via prevention.

My acne is mostly mild, but I had very oily skin and large pores. I think the large pores prevented much damage to my face my letting the oil flow out...so I am thankful for that. What I am not thankful for is...large pores. Most of my pimples were the cystic kind, but I didn't get many of them. My family history of acne isn't too bad, my father never had a pimple in his life (my mother raved about his smooth skin), my brother does have light acne (milder than mild acne) but doesn't really treat his skin much, and my mother has bad skin...but not really acne skin.

I also suffer from eczema. It got so bad when I was younger that it was wet eczema...the type of eczema that really stained your clothes and such since you leaked out so much blood and plasma. Luckily most of it has receded. So for years I combated both eczema and acne...a tough and practically un-winnable war...so I thought.

I actually decided to start this regimen since mid March 2006...but I didn't think about posting my results. Most of my posts are in the diet/holistic forum.

Note that I did use B5 for a while. I started on December 20th, 2005...started 2g/day and went to 6g/day for 4.5 months...after mid-March I gradually settled down to .5g(dropping .5gram every 3 days). Then just 5 days ago I quit B5 altogether. Why? Because my skin kind of stayed constant...although the B5 did improve my skin significantly, it did not get it to the point I wanted it to...and the thought of ingesting even 1g of B5 the rest of my life (that's 10,000% the DV BTW) did not sit well with me. My skin stayed constant through much of the 4.5 month B5 course...but it did improve about the point I read a thread titled "Candida=acne", the link is here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=81929

It got so many hits that I thought it was worthwhile to check. In summary, Candida is a natural yeast that lives inside of us and prevented from being a mycelial fungus that causes disease by both our GI flora and immune system. If either one of these 2 are disrupted significantly Candida is likely to become invasive and cause disease. Though Candida, I believe, does not cause acne directly, I do believe it contributes to acne by spreading outside the GI tract and into the bloodstream where it puts extra stress on the liver and other bodily organs.

Anti-biotics usually are given to patients without much warning...I think they are dangerous if given in non-life threatening situations. Why? They can severely diminish your "good" bacteria population, triggering environmental cues for Candida to become invasive (called Candiasis...or more severely fungemia). The good bacteria crowds out Candida from ever growing. Steroids will also cause candiasis, mainly those that weaken the immune system like prednisone. When your immune system weakens, Candida thinks your body is dying and since fungus are natural decomposers they think its time to do their job...to decompose you...but you're not dead...you're well alive, just not at the moment. Because of my eczema, many doctors thought I had a staph infection...so I was given many courses of anti-biotics and steroids...AT THE SAME TIME. A double whammy. This has acne written all over it.

A bad diet is a 3rd factor contributing to candiasis, mainly a diet that is unhealthy (that weakens the immune system). Of course I am a culprit of a bad diet. So a triple whammy.

Candiasis is believed to cause many other symptoms (like my eczema), not just acne. This includes chronic fatigue, brain fog, and others. Just google it and see for yourself.

I thought about Accutane...the so called powerful drug that cures acne. The thing is, I don't have insurance...so no way I can afford it (especially not after buying a 2006 Honda Civic). But I did some research...became more interested in the diet forum (and less interested in the OTC forum) and came to the conclusion that: Cause of acne is right under your nose...and that these pharmacutical companies are more fraud than friend. Selling us a drug that costs $15/pill with the possibility that it might come back is wrong and immoral...especially since it's just Vitamin A.

No more drugs, no more looking for the next synthetic "cure" or treatment. I don't want to treat my acne, I want to get rid of it. Accutane has too many side effects and is too costly and too overated. B5 is unknown territory...but I don't like popping 20 pills a day for the rest of my life.

But now I'm fighting back. There are prescription anti-fungals like Nystatin...but it is too weak and too expensive to do much. More powerful anti-fungals are too taxing on the liver. So I looked for natural anti-fungals: Garlic (allicin), Coconut Oil/Goat Milk (Caprylic Acid), and Oil of Oregano (Carvacrol). Probiotics help too...and they are the biggest key to keeping you acne-free(along with diet).

Down side? Die-off. Basically symptoms get worse or appear before they get better. This can last for days to months depending on severity. Nutritionists claim that as yeast cells burst, their contents spill into the bloodstream all at once instead of gradually. So symptoms like brain fog and fatigue can become worse before they get better. This has been especially true in my case...and it's been 2 months...but luckily you can control the die-off by limiting antifungals. This regimen will take about 6-12 months...much longer than Accutane. However, you should see improvements within a month (sometimes significant)...and as long as you stick to a healthy diet the acne should not come back. In fact, if everyone followed this diet, I do believe the success rate would easily succeed Accutane and B5 combined.

Up side? You don't have to do this for the rest of your life. You may never have to worry about ANY acne medication. But you do need to at least stick with a healthy diet (some deviation is allowed).

The diet is simple: A anti-diabetic diet (candida diet). Choose foods that have low GI *glycemic index* or GL *glycemic load*, eat plenty of vegetables, meats and fish are fine, use anti-fungals, use probiotics, and use vitamins.

In fact, read the article below. 3rd world countries have virtually no incidences of acne (less than .5%). Though the website sells a book, the article itself is legit.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...van%20acne'

Results?

My pores have shrunk 60% and oil production is down by maybe 70%. Cysts that appeared are replaced my no-scarring pimples. Skin is MUCH smoother...I mean like, almost 180 degree turn. I don't have a digital camera, but I assure you that I am NOT lying...besides, I have no benefit from lying either. There is no sign that my skin will return to that ugly, porous, oily demon that was once my face. I am 7 weeks into the program and I expect 99% results in about 3 months and 100% results in about a year.

-----------------------

My Regimen

-----------------------

Morning: Green Tea, shredded wheat cereal, anti-fungals (Oregano Oil, with rotation of Pau D'Arco, Caprylic Acid, and Garlic). A B-10 (10mg or mcg of every B-vitamin) supplement, probiotic and an iron-free multivitamin. I also take Milk Thistle to help my liver and some Glutamine to heal my leaky gut.

Lunch: Same thing as above, except my meal is mostly vegetables and meat with some low GI carbs.

Dinner: Same thing as lunch.

Midnight snack: Usually a bowl of shredded wheat (100% whole wheat is the ONLY ingredient) taken after antifungals. After I take some probiotics.

You want to eat healthy to fix your immune system. You want to take probiotics to restore the intestinal flora that was unbalanced when your immune system was weakened or you took too many anti-biotics (I've taken 7 courses in my life...so naturally I suspect I have candida). This takes time, months to fully restore. But a few months for the rest of your life? Well worth it. I'll update when I feel appropriate (or when people ask questions that I'll gladly answer).

very intersting thread, where would i get antifungals, are they available in a pharmacy? ive always thought that diet was related to my acne, but i have never done anything about it because im a very poor eater. i just dont know how to start eating healthy

i took accutane and have not long finished, but skin is still not perfect, infact ive already started getting pimples again and my pores are bigger than when i started

i suffered very badly with excema as a child but it does not bother me anymore, thankfully. and i have taken a loads of courses of antibiotics growing up to fight off throat infections that i had every month

very intersting thread, where would i get antifungals, are they available in a pharmacy? ive always thought that diet was related to my acne, but i have never done anything about it because im a very poor eater. i just dont know how to start eating healthy

i took accutane and have not long finished, but skin is still not perfect, infact ive already started getting pimples again and my pores are bigger than when i started

i suffered very badly with excema as a child but it does not bother me anymore, thankfully. and i have taken a loads of courses of antibiotics growing up to fight off throat infections that i had every month

Garlic pills are widely available, but probiotics and oil of oregano is mostly hard to find. You can get them online at www.swansonvitamins.com, www.gnc.com, or www.vitacost.com But prescription anti-fungals, obviously, are found at the pharmacy via prescription...but they are often quite costly.

At least you aren't too fooled by "healthy." Many people just assume "cut the fat, cut the calories, and cut the sugar" means healthy. In fact, a recent study found that people had more severe cases of acne associated with skim milk...which is practically fat free. Healthy does not just limit itself to calories and fat.

But while my eczema still bothers me to this day, it has gotten better. In fact I use to hate taking showers because I get "hot water rash"...but I don't get them anymore! My skin isn't nearly as dry as it use to be either.

But my advice to you is to never take anti-biotics unless your life depended on it...or your limbs or whatever. Never use it for acne though...it's just not worth it.

However, you can take advantage of Accutane. Basically if you can start your healthier diet now, take some probiotics and antifungals...you stand a good chance of fighting acne via the drug method and natural method.

As of today, really no new pimples.

Of course my pores are still pretty big (average of around .3mm in diameter), but my skin isn't as oily as before.

I'm thinking of taking some chromium to help with my hypoglycemic conditions. I have been spreading out my carbs more as opposed to eating a lot in one meal...so we'll see if it helps. I'm getting the GNC brand, 200mcg Chromium Picolinate.

I've added some light exercise to my regimen. I'll mostly do 3 45-50minute jogs a week(splitting up between days) and hopefully one strength exercise a week.

So far, no new pimples and maybe 1 leftover pimple.

I got one new cyst on the bridge of my nose. Nothing to worry about. But my pores have shrunk again and skin tone is surprisingly even and pale...even though my face feels a bit flushed. I think it's because I had something with palm oil or rice bran oil (hydrogenated oils always make me allergic).

But things are going good so far.

I took antibiotics for years, and I've had many of those symptoms of a bad flora. While many of these symptoms are broad and most of the population has them, my health nut nature encouraged me to start taking probiotics.

As with any dietary supplement, be careful what probiotic brand you buy. According to consumerlab.com, many of the brands' bacteria are dead by purchase. Ie, expensive placebo.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/probiotics.asp

I don't have an account with them, but from other websites I gather that Sedona Labs iFlora has the most live cultures, and it's available on amazon.com for pretty cheap. Doesn't need refrigeration.

I've only been taking them for a week, but I swear my allergies are disappearing (one of the broadly listed symptoms). But I'm going to wait a couple of months before I make that kind of verdict.

I took antibiotics for years, and I've had many of those symptoms of a bad flora. While many of these symptoms are broad and most of the population has them, my health nut nature encouraged me to start taking probiotics.

As with any dietary supplement, be careful what probiotic brand you buy. According to consumerlab.com, many of the brands' bacteria are dead by purchase. Ie, expensive placebo.

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/probiotics.asp

I don't have an account with them, but from other websites I gather that Sedona Labs iFlora has the most live cultures, and it's available on amazon.com for pretty cheap. Doesn't need refrigeration.

I've only been taking them for a week, but I swear my allergies are disappearing (one of the broadly listed symptoms). But I'm going to wait a couple of months before I make that kind of verdict.

I have been taking UAS Labs' DDS Acidophilus. I hear it's a good brand that you have to refridgerate. But yeah, one should take probiotics for 1 month before calling back the jury.

As for my current state, nothing major. I did get a small whitehead, but with a little bp it went away overnight...surprisingly.

The improvements are like a marathon. The first 5 miles are much easier than the last 5 miles...so I expect to see slower and gradual improvement as my own diet goes on.