Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R.S.

Going to try to start on a new diet

Well, I've decided I want to be much improved / as close to as clear as I can by the time school gets out and summer begins. And my diet has seriously been slipping lately. With no more holidays until Father's Day in June and nothing after that, I think tomorrow will be a good day to start. I'm creating this thread to try and keep myself motivated and sticking to my diet.

It's basically going to be a raw fruits/vegetables diet with some modifications. Fermented dairy products, soaked/sprouted grains/legumes, and lacto-fermented vegetables are going to be included too, as well as lightly steaming my vegetables occassional. Coconut oil and olive oil will be the main sources of fat. And I'm going to go lacto-ovo vegetarian for a bit. All processed / premade foods (except a store bought salad or something along those lines are out of the question. Beverages will be things like veggie juices, herbal/white/green teas, kefir, and water of course.

Basically I'm trying to speed up healing with this diet, while still having a wide enough range of foods to have good energy throughout the day and still do athletic things.

By the way, following too strict of a diet can result in binging later on and I've taken this into account so I've tried to come up with a good way to keep sweets limited. I'm going to allow myself no more sweets then what can fit in one hand, per week. So that'd break down to something like 1 bar of dark chocolate eaten slowly throughout the week, or 3-4 scoops of ice cream (the brand I buy is really low in sugar by the way / no artificial sweeteners), or one handful of dark chocolate covered ginger / berries. That way I've still got enough sweets to reward myself while otherwise staying the course of a somewhat strict diet plan. The type of 'junk food' I like isn't as bad as what a lot of Americans eat either way. I don't like Oreos or any of that mass produced shit anymore, lost my taste for chips long ago, stay away from candy bars / pretty much all candy unless it has dark chocolate, and religiously avoid trans fats.

Anyways I'm always open to new ideas and criticisms on the ones I already have. Does anything have anything to suggest? Thankssss. :):):)

Organic, free range, vegetarian-fed, omega 3 (god damn, when did buying this shit get so complicated???) raw eggs for protein. Maybe lightly cooked as well.

I'm trying to steer clear of meat and fish right now, for a couple reasons. Meat is expensive, harder to digest, doesn't help with colon or liver health (two things I'm aiming at further healing right now), and generally is recommended to be avoided during detox diets. I'm not a vegan or full time vegetarian by any means, just trying to lay off for a few weeks / a month.

Fish I'm still considering, it's more so healing then any other meat available because of the EFA's but for some reason I can only find farmed fish right now (lower in EFA's, possible antibiotic content), and fish can be really expensive too...

Yeah, I mostly avoided meat for almost a year for the same reasons as you. But I don't think that a vegetarian diet is the healthiest in the long-run.

Just make sure you get enough vitamin b12, iron, and protein.

To be honest, I never had any real trouble sticking to the candida diet. My motivation? Most of the damage on your face can reverse itself.

I had some pitted scars, or so I thought, and much of them healed. A co-worker said my face looked "fatter"...which I suppose is a good thing considering I'm 6'(183cm) 119 lbs(54kgs). My mother even agreed that "My skin doesn't look a little better, it looks A LOT better." That is my motivation for sticking to the diet. I still get an odd pimple every now and then, but it's not a cyst like before...it's not burrowed deep beneath the skin.

It's amazing though. Just 8 months ago I thought diet had nothing to do with acne...now it could be the cure to acne (via prevention).

Why don't you start with a colon cleanse to get a clean table (and face). Then you are in a much better position to succeed with your diet. A proper colon cleanse will ease the cravings and make you more sensitive to unhealthy food. Makes things a lot easier than trying fight all craving at once.

I've been doing P&B shakes for months. I've also done one liver flush and plan on doing the next one this saturday.

Your diet plan sounds really good. I followed well Im -following- something very smiliar to that and finally got clear skin.

I had some weird dessert yeserday with a lot of whipped cream on it, today for the first time in a while I got a blemish and my skin was oily. My skin reacts really quick to dairy, I'm gona have to try harder to stay away from it.

Good luck with your plan, keep is updated on your progress.

Exclude wheat, sugar, legumes, soy, red meat and nuts from your diet.

You'll see dramatic improvement.......I hope.

Worked for me, mabye for you to

Maybe you break out from dairy products if not yoghurt is the best kind of dairy you can take, well except for kefir

^ ^ ^ For sure, I regularly avoid nuts as I'm allergic and have excluded meat out of my diet as of today.

I figured for the first three days (today through Wednesday) I'll stay as close to raw juice / vegetables / fruits / plain yogurt and kefir (for the probiotics) as I can (too keep things from getting boring, I dip raw veggies in hummus), and then figure out what to do from there.

i think if someone spent time on figuring out a diet for acne it could cure it. My skin clears up when i dont eat junk apart from the odd small pimple so if i can figure out a diet that can help my skin that much surely some scientist or dieticions or whatever could find out a diet that would cure it.

I know some diets advocate cutting out legumes, but they don't cause me a problem, and I think if you're going to eat veggie, you need beans. Mung beans are great for alkalinizing and they're easily digested. I usually cook up a pot with some onions, and then add a liberal amount of butter or ghee and whatever spices or herbs sound appealing. Cilantro or parsley and lemon juice as a garnish is nice.

Exclude wheat, sugar, legumes, soy, red meat and nuts from your diet.

You'll see dramatic improvement.......I hope.

Worked for me, mabye for you to

Maybe you break out from dairy products if not yoghurt is the best kind of dairy you can take, well except for kefir

That's a lot! So what do you eat for specific meals?

Could you give me several breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas?

It's basically going to be a raw fruits/vegetables diet with some modifications. Fermented dairy products, soaked/sprouted grains/legumes, and lacto-fermented vegetables are going to be included too, as well as lightly steaming my vegetables occassional. Coconut oil and olive oil will be the main sources of fat. And I'm going to go lacto-ovo vegetarian for a bit. All processed / premade foods (except a store bought salad or something along those lines are out of the question. Beverages will be things like veggie juices, herbal/white/green teas, kefir, and water of course.

But how do you take a general list like that and make a daily meal plan out of it?

I know I keep asking this but I guess it's something I just can't wrap my mind around. This list includes some foods I'm not even sure if I've ever ate -- I need to be spoon fed (pardon the pun) on how to put it together to make it work, for example. Theoretically, I could compile a list, go to a natural foods store and buy stuff, get a candida free cookbook but that won't help me as much as it does some people. I don't have the time or energy, I guess.

But making simple changes based on meal suggestions? That's a bit easier to adapt to, I think.

What exactly is a fermented dairy product? What's laco-fermented?

Any good links that help form meal plans?

My suggestion is go oriental

Im trying it now cooking pure vegatable stir-fry for dinner each night sometimes with lime and chilli sauces

Cooking it with extra virgin olive oil but thinking about switching to cononut oil due to many threads on it

Other then that look into salads and brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds

if u need specific recipes

www.acne-advice.com (the book) is gd thou the diet regime is kinda strict so adaptations are sometimes needed to gain great meals

My suggestion is go oriental

Im trying it now cooking pure vegatable stir-fry for dinner each night sometimes with lime and chilli sauces

Cooking it with extra virgin olive oil but thinking about switching to cononut oil due to many threads on it

Other then that look into salads and brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds

if u need specific recipes

www.acne-advice.com (the book) is gd thou the diet regime is kinda strict so adaptations are sometimes needed to gain great meals

^^^^ Cooking oriental style food as suggested above is a great diet/nutrition idea.

I've been having trouble coming up with creative meal ideas that exclude dairy, grains and contain small amounts of carbs. I purchased some oriental style cookbooks, they've helped sooooo much. If I could afford it I'd take some oriental cooking classes but the cookbooks are a big help so far.

So invest in a few and you'll find it much easier.

But how do you take a general list like that and make a daily meal plan out of it?

I know I keep asking this but I guess it's something I just can't wrap my mind around. This list includes some foods I'm not even sure if I've ever ate -- I need to be spoon fed (pardon the pun) on how to put it together to make it work, for example. Theoretically, I could compile a list, go to a natural foods store and buy stuff, get a candida free cookbook but that won't help me as much as it does some people. I don't have the time or energy, I guess.

But making simple changes based on meal suggestions? That's a bit easier to adapt to, I think.

What exactly is a fermented dairy product? What's laco-fermented?

Any good links that help form meal plans?

Learn to look at vegetables as a viable option for a substantial portion of your meal. Get some vegetables - bok choy, mustard greens, kale, chard, zucchini, broccoli, whatever. Stir-fry them or steam them and dress them up with oils, lemon juice, vinegars.

Other options (for carbs and proteins) will depend on what you're going to cut out of your diet. For most people, the big ones are wheat, sugar, and dairy. It will take experiemntaion to figure out what works best for you, but if you haven't already cut out refined sugar, I would start there. For best results, use only stevia or xylitol as sweeteners. You MUST read labels, or eat everything from scratch to be successful at this. If you're not willing to do that, it's hardly worth the effort to experiment with cutting out wheat, grains, etc, UNLESS you have a specific allergy.

I find also that its gd to eat oatcakes (biscuits are whatever they are!), oranges / apples as snacks through the day oh and buy organic on these if your in UK then Tesco sell these all in organic ranges

It takes 3 days to break any addiction. Sugar is addictive. Too recently, I've added it back into my diet in much larger amounts then I should be eating and my minds been convincing me this is fine. Yet one thing addiction does is rewire your brain like that.

So now I'm on day 2 of a 3 day mostly vegetable fast and craving sweets / chocolate but not succumbing to the urge. It's hard but hopefully pays off.

Eat fruit = natural sugars

Its not the same but helps a little ie strawberries, pineapple

Also you should maybe try some detox diets cos its gets rid of initial cravings. One way is to fast for a day just drinking water - there will be side effects maybe headaches but its just the body wanting the additives / toxins but ull feel better the next day.

Try to eat healthy most of the time. That is your diet.

Fad diets don't work as you will not stick with them, and if you deny yourself food you will most often end up binging on that same food you were trying to avoid.

Eat fruit = natural sugars

Its not the same but helps a little ie strawberries, pineapple

Also you should maybe try some detox diets cos its gets rid of initial cravings. One way is to fast for a day just drinking water - there will be side effects maybe headaches but its just the body wanting the additives / toxins but ull feel better the next day.

I've been following what's basically a detox diet the last 2 days now, going for another day. It goes like this: any veggie is fine, dairy only if it's fermented (yogurt / kefir because I need the probiotics), and to spice up the veggies I either dip them in hummus or drizzle coconut oil / garlic over them. I'm eating 2-3 small meals like this, with plenty of water / herbal teas in between. And I've been getting detox symptoms - piercing headaches and nausea. But I've been through this before - I did a 3 day juice fast near the end of Spring Break, no solid food allowed.

Yeh ive done the 3 day juice cleanse .. found it extremely hard especially with the hunger but was worth it in the end. I found that keeping ureself occupied is really hard, sometimes i stem my face etc or just go to bed early.

I find it really benefits the skin in the end thou its just a pain in the ass for the 3 days.

I've been following what's basically a detox diet the last 2 days now, going for another day. It goes like this: any veggie is fine, dairy only if it's fermented (yogurt / kefir because I need the probiotics), and to spice up the veggies I either dip them in hummus or drizzle coconut oil / garlic over them. I'm eating 2-3 small meals like this, with plenty of water / herbal teas in between. And I've been getting detox symptoms - piercing headaches and nausea. But I've been through this before - I did a 3 day juice fast near the end of Spring Break, no solid food allowed.

I've done a Yoga fast (Yoga Journal) that is very similar to this a few years ago that ONLY included fruits in the morning and vegies from noon on -- there was no limit to how much you could eat. And there was this kind of tea (can't remember what it was called) that you were supposed to drink but I could never find it. Anyway, I had none of those detox symptoms people keep talking about.

Another question: What exactly is kefir? Forgive me for sounding dumb but I've never heard of it before coming to this board.

Which herbal tea are you drinking?

I eat yogurt in the morning for breakfast sometimes, with a banana. I'm guessing this qualifies as a good choice? If you say yes, I'm going to whoop for joy, LOL, as I feel totally lost with some of the things you guys mention.

Another question: What exactly is kefir? Forgive me for sounding dumb but I've never heard of it before coming to this board.

Kefir is a cultured/fermented food very similar to yogurt. It is usually made from milk (although you can make it with fruit juice and other things, but milk works best). It's made with these things called kefir grains. Once the milk is made into kefir, it's way easier to digest, has very little or no lactose, and has a lot of beneficial bacteria in it.

I eat yogurt in the morning for breakfast sometimes, with a banana. I'm guessing this qualifies as a good choice? If you say yes, I'm going to whoop for joy, LOL, as I feel totally lost with some of the things you guys mention.

That sounds like a good breakfast to me... as long as it's a good kind of yogurt (from organic, preferably non-homogenized milk). My breakfast is often kefir blended with a banana and honey.

Which herbal tea are you drinking?

Whew, Day 3 of this little detox diet. It's making me break out :(

The herbal teas I'm drinkin are: peppermint (helps digestion / nausea), chamomile (relaxing, keeps stress at bay), ginger raspberry (similar to peppermint), and white tea (higher levels of antioxidants then green tea, very negligible amount of caffeine).

But yeah, that breakfast sounds like a good choice to me too.