Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fthea118

Why only 2.5% BP?

I read that it is recommended that we use 2.5% BP because it yields the same results as anything higher and it leaves your face less dry. I tried 10% BP (Clean&Clear Persa-Gel 10) and it does dry my face, but moisturizer takes care of it. I only used it for a couple days this past week and it seems to reduce the appearance of my pimples a lot better than 2.5% CSR gel. Should I continue using the CSR gel (i'm on my 4th week)? The only reason I made the switch was because it took a looong time for my CSR gel to come in so I was out of BP for about a week.

I read that it is recommended that we use 2.5% BP because it yields the same results as anything higher and it leaves your face less dry.

Exactly. I have also used the 10% and have found that it dries your skin out to the point that it causes your skin to only break out more as a result. With the lower percent of BP, you get excellent results (as I have) and you don't get the dry skin. Of course, a good moisturizer is the important final step to the regimen.

Follow it and you will have the same wonderful results as many of us on this forum have! Good luck.

I read that it is recommended that we use 2.5% BP because it yields the same results as anything higher and it leaves your face less dry. I tried 10% BP (Clean&Clear Persa-Gel 10) and it does dry my face, but moisturizer takes care of it. I only used it for a couple days this past week and it seems to reduce the appearance of my pimples a lot better than 2.5% CSR gel. Should I continue using the CSR gel (i'm on my 4th week)? The only reason I made the switch was because it took a looong time for my CSR gel to come in so I was out of BP for about a week.

Some people seem to be able to smear 10% BP all over their faces, but I'm not one of them. The overdrying and irritation from 10% BP outweigh the faster clearing action for me. If possible, I'd like to avoid having both pimples and red flaking skin, and 2.5% BP seems to be that middle way. Also, while I have no evidence to support this, my guess is that once you have cleared up active acne, there's no difference in the level of acne prevention between the BP concentrations. I can see why 10% BP might clear you up faster, but I don't see why it would keep you more clear than using lots of 2.5% BP in the long run. Perhaps this is not the case, but I have no inclination to switch from Dan's gel just to avoid the occasional tiny pimples that surface.

well quinoderm's the best product for me here in the UK and it's lowest strength is 5% which I'm happy with but see no need to jump to the 10% one.

If you use a high dosage of BP it can dry your face out really bad. Nothing has been proven but I think when your face overdry's too much, it becomes harder to actually get rid of the acne. I used 5% and my face was fine.

I think we all have to find our own leverage.