Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone know if the price of accutane or it's generic gone up since the ipledge program was implemented? I don't have insurance that covers prescriptions. I was anticipating about $400 a month. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the price of accutane or it's generic gone up since the ipledge program was implemented? I don't have insurance that covers prescriptions. I was anticipating about $400 a month. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

I may sound ignorant, but can't you just change insurance company's/coverage plans?

I don't have insurance, and I'll tell you right now accutane is expensive. Don't even think of using anything but a generic. My half dose of 40mg of the generic Sortret was $260. So next month, when my dose gets doubled it will be 260*2=$520 at the counter. Plus the $80 in monthly lab fees to take a pregger test and get my blood work done. So $600 a month times 5 months = $3000.

Do yourself a favor and research pharmacies because not every pharm charges the same price for the exact same prescription. My brand was cheapest where I got it, at Costco. Also, the different brands of generics come in different mg amounts. One brand may have a 10mg, 20 mg and 40 mg while another comes in 30 or 60 mg. Do the research ahead of time so that when you talk to the derm you can tell him which brand to prescribe that would make the cheapest combination for your dosage and you can save yourself $100 or $200 every month.

If you can't afford the rx you should go to Roche site and download the applicaton for indigent patients drug program-you fill out info then give to your doc, he should fill it out and send in....they will send your entire course supply to doc with zero costs! I did this during my first course of accutane because I had no insurance then. That was 5 years ago but I'm sure they still offer it. It is not hard to qualify for this assistance. Good Luck!

That may prove very difficult these days thanks to the new demon that is iPledge. The only way to get accutane now in the US is thru ipledge, which only gives you a 7 day window from the day prescribed in which to fill your RX. On top of that, your doc can only write it for a 30 day supply. Each month you have to go in, get blood work and get a whole new prescription. If the paperwork for indigents takes longer than that to process, you are simply screwed.

If you can't afford the rx you should go to Roche site and download the applicaton for indigent patients drug program-you fill out info then give to your doc, he should fill it out and send in....they will send your entire course supply to doc with zero costs! I did this during my first course of accutane because I had no insurance then. That was 5 years ago but I'm sure they still offer it. It is not hard to qualify for this assistance. Good Luck!

Actually, this was stopped July '05 IPB Image

Here's how I did it...I applied for and bought insurance.

My premium is $122 a month. I have a $1000 deductible, but this does not go towards prescriptions. I JUST got my first prescription for Accutane, and paid only $15 for a month of the generic. Basically, I am paying $122 + about $100 for the doctor/blood work + $15 for the generic drug. This is much less expensive than flat out paying for it out of pocket. Plus, I have insurance in case something happens to me, and once I hit $1000 (if I do), doctors visits and such will be at a 20% copay or something like that!! I highly recommend it. PM me if you have any questions...

Come to the UK. It's all completely free on the NHS if your are 18 or under :dance: and if you're not, then the state still pays a large portion of it.

For real, this drug is so expensive. I would get insurance first to cover for the derms visits, blood tests and medicine. Mine even covered facials YES!!! My treatement was like $1,200 a month. Not kidding. I do have insurance though, so I only paid like $80 in copayments, plus whaterver I pay in insurance.

Actually, this was stopped July '05 IPB Image

Here's how I did it...I applied for and bought insurance.

My premium is $122 a month. I have a $1000 deductible, but this does not go towards prescriptions. I JUST got my first prescription for Accutane, and paid only $15 for a month of the generic. Basically, I am paying $122 + about $100 for the doctor/blood work + $15 for the generic drug. This is much less expensive than flat out paying for it out of pocket. Plus, I have insurance in case something happens to me, and once I hit $1000 (if I do), doctors visits and such will be at a 20% copay or something like that!! I highly recommend it. PM me if you have any questions...

I've tried telling others this same thing on a couple other threads.

Getting insurance for yourself is cheaper in the short and long run.

The premiums and out of pocket amount to a lot less than paying in cash for doctor visit, blood test and total Rx cost. Not to mention the added benefit of being covered by insurance in case something else comes up, including annual exams, accidents, etc.

It definitely is the smarter choice.