Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D@n

Low doses of isotretinoin proven to be effective for moderate acne.

Low doses of isotretinoin proven to be effective for moderate acne. =)

http://toronto.fashion-monitor.com/news.ph...ne-isotretinoin

Thanks for this. I've read this before. Derms don't seem to believe it though. When she asked about low doses he just said "oh no, I don't think that would be good". Accutane cleared my daughter (very temporary) but it was after 5 -6 months of pure hell. I think it was just too strong for her. We are going to the derm tomorrow and maybe I can get her to ask about this. Actually, I'll print the article and send it with her.

Low doses of isotretinoin proven to be effective for moderate acne. =)

http://toronto.fashion-monitor.com/news.ph...ne-isotretinoin

Thanks for this. I've read this before. Derms don't seem to believe it though. When she asked about low doses he just said "oh no, I don't think that would be good". Accutane cleared my daughter (very temporary) but it was after 5 -6 months of pure hell. I think it was just too strong for her. We are going to the derm tomorrow and maybe I can get her to ask about this. Actually, I'll print the article and send it with her.

Its supposed to be a strong med. You have to expect some side effects, then you know the med is working. Its harsh for a reason but you do have to ride the storm out. Low doses of tane my derm told me are usually prescribed to people who have already been on a proper course, sometimes some people need to go on prolonged low doses to stop the acne from re-occuring and because their skin is still very oily. Otherwise it is not effective apparently to just start on a low dose

AandD,

That is simply not true re: low doses being ineffective.

As a matter of fact, the relapse rate for people who go on a "normal" course of Accutane is shockingly high.

The 20mg/day dose recently tested was also carried out for 6 months, rather than the usual 4-5 months.

AandD,

As a matter of fact, the relapse rate for people who go on a "normal" course of Accutane is shockingly high.

The 20mg/day dose recently tested was also carried out for 6 months, rather than the usual 4-5 months.

It is the people who relapse who most commonly go on low dosage accutane courses. I guess you know more though so I am not going to argue, I just listen to my derm, take my tane and ride it out... The majority of these people harping on about low dose tane are mainly the people with mild acne anyway, who thinks its an easy option, which it is not...

AandD,

It was effective for maintaing control and/or keeping my skin clear for almost two years and I took less than 40mg a week.

The problem with some hormonal acne is that it is resistant to treatment no matter what. Within months of going off accutane, I break out again. Maybe not as bad but, after 28 years of dealing with it, any little pimple gets on my effing nerves.