Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
depressed17

personal question...

welllll i have been on tane for approx 6 months now and i have 6 weeks worth left until my course is complete!

im feeling pretty good about my skin at the moment :D and iv also got a new boyfriend.its been a few months now and its pretty obvious what we wanna do....butttt im not on any contraception..is it safe to just use a condom whilst on tane?iv heard stories sooo i just thought id ask for a bit of help.

thanks

Absolutely not.

It's not worth taking that chance.

And pregnancies are one of the reasons (if not the biggest) that it's so hard for people to get Accutane as it is. Please be sensible in this situation. Sex can wait until your course is over.

It's probably best to wait until you've finished your treatment.

Even if a girl was taking oral contraception I'd still use a condom, always! If she didn't like it then no sexytime.

welllll i have been on tane for approx 6 months now and i have 6 weeks worth left until my course is complete!

im feeling pretty good about my skin at the moment :D and iv also got a new boyfriend.its been a few months now and its pretty obvious what we wanna do....butttt im not on any contraception..is it safe to just use a condom whilst on tane?iv heard stories sooo i just thought id ask for a bit of help.

thanks

How did you get accutane if your not on any BC? If I remember right you have to be on two forms of BC.

Ditto the other poster, you do have to take the risk of pregnancy, but to answer your question just double up on the contraceptives. No need to be totally abstinent, I mean come no NO BC is totally 100% so the risk is ALWAYS there. Condom with spermicide and YOU use a cup/sponge whatever the hell they call it. Or get an IUD. Non-Hormonal IUD. I have the Copper-T it's the only Ipledge approved IUD.

Agreed with everyone else. TWO forms of BC. If you can't do that, then tell him to keep it in his pants. If he loves you (or even just really likes you) he'll wait. Don't be stupid.

"All good things come to those who wait"

How did you get accutane if your not on any BC? If I remember right you have to be on two forms of BC.

I wasn't required to be on BC before tane..he told me to use 2 forms of contraceptive but I didn't and he didn't force me.

You are allowed to choose abstinence. It's cases like this one that make me think that option should be removed - many of the isotretinoin fetal exposures occur when women do not remain abstinent as they pledged they would, and when there's a new man in your life it's soooo tempting.

Wait the 10 weeks (remember you need to wait one month after your last dose before it's safe). You can reduce it to 4 weeks if you begin hormonal birth control immediately (assuming you are at the right point in your cycle to begin immediately), but you will need to add a barrier method in addition to the hormonal one. This is all explained in the IPLEDGE materials if you are in the US program.

Remember at the end of the day it is your own choice.

If you are happy to rely on condoms and thats an allowable option in your part of the world then no one here has the authority to tell you not to.