Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

seems like acne has nothing to do with sebum/dead skin/bacteria

when I use medications they improve acne slightly, but they don't do that much. I don't really get HOW food causes acne, but it's clear that it does. "Acne" refers to zits specifically caused by acne bacteria, or any random zits/cysts on your body?

Maybe it's sugar, maybe it's salt, maybe it's spicy food. I personally think that eating too much at once causes acne. Small meals = less acne. Of course the meals have to consist of healthy sugar-free, low-carb foods.

Are we wrong by calling it "acne" if it's not acne bacteria that's causing it?

i dont know, what about the people who live off of candy bars and soda, yet have really clear skin? that's the stupid missing lnik, because it ruins any diet or health theories about acne. i personally believe it might have something to do with lack of exercise, but then what about the people who never exercise and have, duhr, nice skin?

maybe back in the day people did more manual labor, so they didn't have acne, because the sugar got all burned off.

when I use medications they improve acne slightly, but they don't do that much. I don't really get HOW food causes acne, but it's clear that it does. "Acne" refers to zits specifically caused by acne bacteria, or any random zits/cysts on your body?

Maybe it's sugar, maybe it's salt, maybe it's spicy food. I personally think that eating too much at once causes acne. Small meals = less acne. Of course the meals have to consist of healthy sugar-free, low-carb foods.

Are we wrong by calling it "acne" if it's not acne bacteria that's causing it?

Nope, there are over a dozen types of acne (have a small list somewhere) and each has their own description, cause/trigger, and location on the body!

In regards to the bacteria theory...did you know that you can also take anti-fungals to treat acne? Of course antifungals only kill fungi, not bacteria so when you use them...p.acnes are intact! Therefore, it appears that anti-biotics and anti-fungals work beyond just killing their specific microbes...they also work at reducing various types of inflammation that's associated with the production of acne!

Int J Dermatol. 2003 May;42(5):366-9. Related Articles, Links

Increased hydrogen peroxide generation by neutrophils from patients with acne inflammation.

Akamatsu H, Horio T, Hattori K.

Departments of Dermatology and Pediatrics, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Reactive oxygen species generated by neutrophils are closely correlated with the pathogenesis of a variety of inflammatory skin diseases. The aim of this study was to investigate the possible role of reactive oxygen species generated by neutrophils in the mediation of acne inflammation. METHODS: Bacterial phagocytotic stimuli, mediated by opsonin activity, were applied to whole blood, and neutrophil hydrogen peroxide production was measured. RESULTS: Patients with acne inflammation showed a significantly increased level of hydrogen peroxide produced by neutrophils compared to patients with acne comedones and healthy controls. There were no marked differences in the level of hydrogen peroxide produced by neutrophils between patients with acne comedones and healthy controls. In addition, patients with acne inflammation treated by oral administration of minocycline hydrochloride, a drug [antibiotic] that inhibits hydrogen peroxide generation by neutrophils, showed a significant decrease in the ability of neutrophils to produce hydrogen peroxide in accordance with a decrease in the inflammatory activity of acne lesions. CONCLUSIONS: The present study seems to suggest that acne inflammation is mediated in part by hydrogen peroxide generation by neutrophils.

2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Phytomedicine. 2003 Jan;10(1):34-8. Related Articles, Links

Inhibition of Propionibacterium acnes-induced mediators of inflammation by Indian herbs.

Jain A, Basal E.

Department of Microbiology, King George's Medical College, Lucknow, India. [email protected]

Propionibacterium acnes, an anaerobic pathogen, plays an important role in the pathogenesis of acne by inducing certain inflammatory mediators. These mediators include reactive oxygen species (ROS) and pro-inflammatory cytokines. In the present study, ROS, interleukin-8 (IL-8) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) were used as the major criteria for the evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity. To prove the anti-inflammatory effects of herbs, polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNL)and monocytes were treated with culture supernatant of P. acnes in the presence or absence of herbs. It was found that Rubia cordifolia, Curcuma longa[Turmeric/curcumin], Hemidesmus indicus, and Azadirachta indica caused a statistically significant suppression of ROS from PMNL. Sphaeranthus indicus caused a smaller, still significant suppression of ROS. Aloe vera had no effect on ROS production. In the case of proinflammatory cytokine-induced monocytes, maximum suppression was shown by Azadirachta indica and Sphaeranthus indicus, followed by Hemidesmus indicus, Rubia cordifolia, and Curcuma longa. Aloe vera showed insignificant inhibitory activity. Thus, these herbs shows anti-inflammatory activity by suppressing the capacity of P. acnes-induced ROS and pro-inflammatory cytokines, the two important inflammatory mediators in acne pathogenesis.

4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Dermatology. 1998;196(1):82-5. Related Articles, Links

The possible role of reactive oxygen species generated by neutrophils in mediating acne inflammation.

Akamatsu H, Horio T.

Department of Dermatology, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the possible role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated by neutrophils in mediating acne inflammation. Antibiotics used for the treatment of acne significantly inhibited ROS generated by neutrophils, when compared to other antibiotics. Metronidazole, which is effective in the treatment of acne, markedly inhibited ROS generated by neutrophils. The drug is known to have no significant effect on the growth of Propionibacterium acnes. The proportion of linoleic acid is markedly decreased in acne comedones. Linoleic acid significantly suppressed ROS generated by neutrophils. The ability of neutrophils to produce ROS was significantly increased in patients with acne inflammation. These results seem to reveal the involvement of ROS generated by neutrophils in the disruption of the integrity of the follicular epithelium, which is responsible for inflammatory processes of acne.

*Metronidazole is an antifungal and anti-parasitic drug

Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Panonica Adriat. 2005 Jun;14(2):39-42. Related Articles, Links

Superoxide dismutase and myeloperoxidase activities in polymorphonuclear leukocytes in acne vulgaris.

Kurutas EB, Arican O, Sasmaz S.

KSU Medical Faculty, Department of Biochemistry, TR-46000 Kahramanmaras, Turkey.

BACKGROUND AND DESIGN: Acne vulgaris frequently occurs in the second decade of life. The pathogenesis of the disease is multifactorial and in the present study, we aimed to investigate the role of reactive oxygen species in the inflammation of acneby determining the activities of myeloperoxidase (MPO) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) in polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMN). MATERIALS AND METHODS: Forty-three patients with acne vulgaris and 24 healthy controls were enrolled. The severity of the acne was categorized from mild (subjects with only comedonic lesions) to severe (subjects with nodulocystic lesions). SOD and MPO activities in PMN were measured spectrophotometrically. RESULTS: There was no significant difference in the activity of MPO between the patients and controls.However, SOD activity in PMN was significantly lower in the patients than in the controls (p<0.001). Nocorrelation was detected between the activities of enzymes and the severity of the disease. CONCLUSION: Propionibacterium acnes may not play a primary role in the pathogenesis of acne as a bacterium. However, the low activity of SOD in PMN may be responsible for the increased levels of superoxide anion radicals in the epidermis. New anti-acne drugs should include substances with lymphocyte stimulating and anti-oxidative properties.

When you look at it in that respect....that inflammation is associated with acne and....that acne IS an Inflammatory Skin Disease....it starts to make more sense. The Diet Acne link works for certain members because it reduces various forms of silent inflammation within our system that is caused by one or a combination of:

Hypersensitivity Reactions (to chronic stress, a skin care ingredient, a food, a nutrient, detergeant, microbe etc)

Hormonal/Health disorders possibly brought on by Hypersensitivity Reactions.

Thus why a lot of popular and seemingly unrelated products, supplements, and diets can work....Accutane (multi-talented), B5 Therapy, Nicomide, Green Tea, Red Tea, NAC, ALA, Boswellia, Tylenol, Glucocorticoids, Soluble Fiber, Blueberries, Brocolli Tablets (sulphoraphane) etc because in one way or another....they work on preventing or reducing....inflammation. ;)

This is quite confusing but acne is and is not caused by bacteria. Lets explore this a little bit further. Yes, like your derm and doctors have told you, bacterial inflammation in clogged pores leads to pimples. There's not doubt about that. If that would be the only thing there is to it medicines would have already wiped out acne long time ago. Modern medicine has become quite efficient in killing bacteria, but yet they haven't even managed to make a dent into acne. More and more people are geting acne despite all of the medicines and 'cures' available.

I don't know about you, but for me it's pretty clear that there's something missing from the equation.

I'm putting together a book on acne and natural acne cures (which I'll distribute for free to anybody who want's a copy). I did lots of research on this subject (plus my own personal experience) and it's painfully obvious to me now that bad diet is the main cause for acne (and for most other diseases also).

Here's a draft chapter from my book that explains what causes acne.

What causes acne?

I think that the prevalence of acne is largely due to misunderstanding of the real cause of acne. It is really unfortunate that the mainstream dermatologist and medical community has became obsessed with eliminating bacteria, reducing sebum production and keeping your skin pores open.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't claim to know the exact cause of acne. I believe that the exact mechanism varies from person to person. However, through research and personal experience I have realised that certain conditions in your body make it more susceptible to acne.

Whether I'm 100% correct with this - I don't know. But using treatments that address these conditions in my body has cured my acne amazingly fast. It has also worked for other people using this or similar treatments.

So what exactly is happening inside your body that is causing acne. For that we have to explore what's happening in your gastrointestinal (GI) track (i.e. food digestion mechanism).

At any given point your body contains about 10 times more bacteria than you have cells.

Now this is completely normal. You live in symbiosis with those bacteria and they perform many vital functions in your body. In fact you wouldn't be able to survive without bacteria in your body.

We can crudely divide these bacteria into two categories:

- Probiotic or beneficial bacteria (i.e. the good guys)

- Pathological or harmful bacteria (i.e. the bad guys)

Healthy human GI track contains around 75% beneficial and 25% pathological bacteria. This is when things are working fine and you are healthy and vibrant.

Still with me? OK, let's set bacteria aside for a while and take a look at how food is digested.

Digestion is unbelievably complicate process, and I doubt that anybody understands it perfectly. However there are few simple basic truths that help us.

First of all, complete digestion requires help of multiple enzymes. Some of these enzymes are manufactured in your body, some we have to get from the food we eat. Secondly these enzymes are very delicate and are completely destroyed by heat during cooking. Thirdly these enzymes are activated only under certain conditions (in most cases they require certain pH-value). Finally your body can not use food that is not completely digested. Partially digested food passed through your GI track but it can't be utilised by your body.

In later chapters we'll explore digestion in more detail, but now let's carry on with these simple truths and see what happens when your food is only partially digested.

Undigested food passes through your stomach and small intestine to your colon. Your colon is like a waste management station. Whatever food has not been digested in your stomach and small intestine is handled in your colon. Your colon absorbs what nutrients in can from food passing through. Rest gets dehydrated, compressed to faeces and expelled through rectum.

Now your colon walls are lined with protective mucus that prevents harmful bacteria and toxins in your colon from entering your blood stream. In healthy colon this mucus is mainly colonised by beneficial bacteria, but it also contains harmful bacteria.

Harmful bacteria feast on undigested food in your colon. Undigested food putrefies and ferments in your colon. This putrefaction creates many toxins as by product.

It’s much like what happens in the garbage bin in your kitchen. Leftover food and trash starts to rot and before you know it stinks like hell.

The only difference is that your colon has much more bacteria than your garbage bin has. Your colon is also warm and humid, which makes it an ideal environment for bacteria to strive.

If this would happen only once in a while the beneficial bacteria in your colon would be able to keep the harmful bacteria at bay and repair the damage toxins have caused.

However, if this onslaught is an everyday event continuing week, months and even years it has dangerous consequences.

With abundant food and fertile environment harmful bacteria in your gut multiplies in number and gain larger and larger foothold of your colon.

The toxic by products of putrefaction and fermentation of undigested food create an environment that is lethal to beneficial bacteria. Toxins also destroy the protective mucus your colon walls are lined with.

As more and more undigested food enters your colon, some of it gets stuck to the mucus on your colon walls. Little by little the diameter of your colon is reduced and it takes longer for food and faeces to pass through. This gives more time for harmful bacteria to create havoc.

Underneath the protective mucus your colon walls are lined with blood and lymphatic vessels. In healthy colon these vessels pick up nutrients that are passed through by beneficial bacteria.

Toxins, harmful bacteria and parasites in your colon damage the protective layer of mucus. Before long they destroy this protective wall exposing the blood and lymph vessels underneath it.

Now you have what is called the leaky gut syndrome. Pathological bacteria and toxins can enter your body through the exposed blood and lymph vessels.

Blood and lymph carries these toxins to your liver and kidneys to neutralise. Unfortunately your liver and kidneys can only handle so much toxins. If this toxic cycle is allowed to continue their capacity will be reached.

Your body does everything it can to protect itself from these toxins. If your body would allow these toxins to roam freely they would cause serious damage to your organs and eventually kill you.

Since your body’s primary elimination mechanisms (liver and kidneys) are fully utilised it has to turn to secondary elimination mechanism (skin and lungs). Now all those toxins that your liver and kidneys can't neutralise are pushed through your skin and lungs.

Your body also stores these toxins into your fat cells, joints, muscles and bones. By capturing the toxins into these cells your body ensures that those toxins can't harm you.

Good analogy would be nuclear waste. We bury nuclear waste deep into mountains until we figure out a better way to deal with it. Burying nuclear waste deep into mountains ensures that it can't harm us, but it does nothing to neutralise that nuclear waste.

Meanwhile toxins that are roaming free in your blood and lymph streams are disrupting functioning of vital organs.

These are few possibilities of how this toxic condition in your body results to acne. One explanation is, that toxins that are pushed through your skin, create a fertile environment for acne causing bacteria to settle in. Another explanation is that toxins disrupt hormone production. Many people claim that acne is due to overproduction of certain hormones that causes your body to produce more sebum and shed skin cells.

The exact mechanism is unknown and probably varies from person to person. However, it all stems from the same basic cause: toxic colon that leaks poisons into your body.

These toxins have a tendency of attacking the weakest link in your body. As that varies from person to person it explains why some people get acne and others don't under same conditions. Instead of acne, other people get different symptoms (weight gain, yeast infections, bad breath, frequent headaches, infections, rash, allergies, chronic fatigue, etc).

The main reason why I believe that toxins in your body are the root cause of acne is that treatments that address this condition work amazingly fast. Under proper detoxification treatment you can literally get rid of pimples in 3 to 5 days. These treatments work on all types of acne.

Another reason is that should you continue with the diet and lifestyle, which caused this toxic condition, your acne will come back.

:clap:

Wow...my mind doesn't think that way and so I highly commend your efforts! While there are a few other ways to develop LGS, I think you did excellently in regards to explaining the role of bacteria gastrointestinal-wise instead of cutaneously as older studies and some members continue to only focus on. Now, if you haven't already done so, perhaps you can futher combine the above with what I discussed regarding Hypersensitivity Reactions, in a more simplifedand easier to visualizemanner. If so, you would have why the sources of Non-Self are resulting in constant Inflammation throughout the body and thus, possible organ damage (incl. hormone dysregulation), cell inflammation, disruption of the glucose metabolic pathway, etc.

It is these sources of Non-Self that slip into the blood stream via Intestinal Hyperpermiability or a Leaky Gut such as:

Microbes - bacteria, fungi, parasites

Undigested Food Particles, allergenic food proteins

Toxins

That cause the PMNL or Neutrophil (a leukocytes or white blood cell) to go on attack mode, engulfing the offender, becoming oxidized, bursting & spilling their contents (i.e. hydrogen peroxide), and further extending the inflammatory events.

Hence why you see all sorts and forms of silent inflammation in various "preventable" health conditions, acne, arthritis, etc

Here's a link that might help you out, it shows the process of how this type of white blood cell respondsto Non-Self http://www.fertilityforall.com/hiw/index.htm

Again, the immune system is extremely complex but inflammation can be stimulated very easily. The main ‘inflammatory’ elements of the immune system are the white cells or leukocytes, of which the granulocytes, the eosinophils, basophils and, especially the neutrophil, are of particular interest. The granulocytes contain chemical ‘granules’ that are used in the destruction of ‘non-self’. Following a number of different ‘pathways’, granulocytes can become activated and work together to protect the body from potentially harmful invaders. Because it is the first white cell to react and is present in vast numbers both in the bloodstream and in the tissue, the neutrophil or PMN is the epicenter of inflammation.

Again, The Insulin Time-bomb, features a comprehensive explanation of this highly complex system. Essentially, the neutrophil is designed to detect and engulf potential ‘non-self’ pathogens (i.e. ‘non-self’ material that may cause disease). It does this by forming and extending ‘pseudopods’, arm-like protrusions, which surround the pathogen drawing it inside the cell membrane where it is then dispatched by the granules. At this stage, the neutrophil undergoes a process called ‘apoptosis’ (literally, programmed cell death) where it, in turn is engulfed by the much larger macrophage to be disposed of safely.

These granules are extremely dangerous and can cause damage to body tissue if they are released from the PMN. Two events make leakage more likely. If a PMN encounters non-self material that is too big to engulf, it will tear itself apart and ‘fire’ the chemicals at the material, this has the effect of signaling to other PMN to join in, greatly increasing the destructive potential of the response but also increasing the opportunity for collateral damage to body tissue. Of even greater danger is a process known as ‘delayed apoptosis’. The immune response can damage the sides of the blood vessel leading to the activation of the platelets* (again, this is dealt with in greater detail in The Insulin Time-bomb), in turn the activated platelets cause delayed apoptosis in the PMN – whereupon the PMN completely degranulates releasing all its chemical components into the bloodstream or tissue.

PMN can also undergo complete degranulation without encountering large pieces of non-self or involving the platelets. A PMN can be activated but not to a point where it appears to respond; a second activation of this type can cause a much bigger response that immediately causes complete degranulation**.

Almost any PMN response causes the release of chemical whose sole job it is to recruit other PMN. This increases both the strength and duration of the response. Such recruitment can happen in the bloodstream and any tissue, including the gut. The gut wall is only one cell thick thus white cells can migrate into the gut and create inflammation in the gut wall – this decreases gut barrier integrity making the transmission of food to the bloodstream, in the form of non-self, more likely.

Because the immune system is able to cause damage to the body, as well as any invading pathogen, it is strictly controlled by a positive feedback mechanism, i.e. when the pathogen is overcome, the system returns to its ‘resting state’. However, if the pathogen is constantly replenished, the inflammatory response will continue creating chronic inflammation. This chronic inflammation can then induce a number of ‘events’ that can prolong the response almost indefinitely.

Inflammation, increased blood viscosity, FOR damage

* Because of their ability to become ‘activated’, like the granulocytes, provoking an increase in blood viscosity, platelets are of considerable interest, too, in the context of the EPC test.

** This is one of the reasons why other supposed tests lack sufficient specificity to be used in the context of the A New Dawn and The Insulin Time-bomb

Some Acne may be result of a Type III Hypersentivitity Reaction for which you can take a food intolerance test for, but based on the studies and the way members acne and mine develops, it seems more indicative of a Type IV Hypersensitivity Reaction, which their is no officially (and affordable) accepted blood test for.

Doesnt this hypersensitivity thing point to liver "issues"?

Some Acne may be result of a Type III Hypersentivitity Reaction for which you can take a food intolerance test for, but based on the studies and the way members acne and mine develops, it seems more indicative of a Type IV Hypersensitivity Reaction, which their is no officially (and affordable) accepted blood test for.

Umm...........I don't know. Let see, the liver works to aid in metabolism and detoxifiction. If the liver is unable to detoxify due to damage (possibly caused by inflammation or some defect) or due to being overburdened by toxins, etc...the liver will store these toxins etc in fat cells (to detoxify "later"). However, for those believers, the liver and/or gallbaldder can also contain stones with toxins, bacteria and parasites within....

These things aren't supposed to be there and their continued presence can enlist a host of immune responses. Hypersensitivity reactions are immune responses gone haywire. So, this may explain why when people do liver flushes, detoxify, cleanse etc, they are less sensitive to foods, etc, due to removing some or all of the triggers of this immune response or the irritants causing continued Intestinal Hyperpermeability or LGS.

So it does play a role, which is why this is enough for some people, but it's not quite all there is to it. Some people may still need to focus on replenishing healthy bacteria and healing their intestinal lining in order to possibly see complete relief of all signs or symptoms.

This is my quickie resposne since I'm at work, but I'll mull it over more. Take Care ;)

[quote name='Asher2' date='May 13 2006, 12:28 PM' .

Umm...........I don't know. Let see, the liver works to aid in metabolism and detoxifiction. If the liver is unable to detoxify due to damage (possibly caused by inflammation or some defect) or due to being overburdened by toxins, etc...the liver will store these toxins etc in fat cells (to detoxify "later"). However, for those believers, the liver and/or gallbaldder can also contain stones with toxins, bacteria and parasites within....

These things aren't supposed to be there and their continued presence can enlist a host of immune responses. Hypersensitivity reactions are immune responses gone haywire. So, this may explain why when people do liver flushes, detoxify, cleanse etc, they are less sensitive to foods, etc, due to removing some or all of the triggers of this immune response or the irritants causing continued Intestinal Hyperpermeability or LGS.

So it does play a role, which is why this is enough for some people, but it's not quite all there is to it. Some people may still need to focus on replenishing healthy bacteria and healing their intestinal lining in order to possibly see complete relief of all signs or symptoms.

This is my quickie resposne since I'm at work, but I'll mull it over more. Take Care ;)

thats exactly what Im thinking, now I havent done any flushes but have done things to improve liver function and have found some of my sensitivities lessened.

so if its undigested food thats creating toxins, we have to question why is there undigested foods? I think that perhaps the gallbladder is clogged with sludge and stones and is unable to create enough bile necessary for fat digestion.

Thanks for the great information!

The undigested food theory makes a lot of sense. I've been suspecting that my acne might be related to the fact that I eat 2 giant meals per day, while it is suggested that you eat about 5 small meals. It makes your metabolism better. Maybe half of the food is not getting digested.

But the strange thing is, I'm still getting a small amount of acne even though I eat a 100% raw food, low carb diet. Maybe it's not WHAT you eat, but HOW MUCH and WHEN you eat.

Sepsi, you're my hero :D

Unfortunately, given the many different things that can cause acne, it might be that 18 different factors are contributing, and taking out any one by itself just isn't going to do the trick.

Unfortunately, given the many different things that can cause acne, it might be that 18 different factors are contributing, and taking out any one by itself just isn't going to do the trick.

It depends on whats your weakest link. If a sluggish liver that fails to properly digest fats and detoxify the posions your body naturally generates is an issue, then targetting that would be great benefit. Unfortunately, things like candida can wreak havoc on the whole system, most obviously messing with the flora and thickness of your gut but causing the liver to get overloaded as well, in turn leading to 'dirty' blood and lymphs, sluggish bowel elimination, autointoxication etc. Diet is only one treatment.

That's a good point. It took me four years of effort before figuring out my exact acne triggers. What's interesting is that all the foods that cause me acne are ones that I disliked as a young child. My mother couldn't get me to take one bite of beef or more than a sip of milk. Even when she'd load up the milk with chocolate, I still couldn't drink it. Maybe as kids we have a stronger instinct for what's bad for our systems.

Thanks for your comments Sweetjade. I can take a look at those points a little bit later. Now I'm just focusing on getting the book out to people.

One thing I do have to point to you. I intentionally didn't want to take it 'too far' into what's happening inside you. I wanted to keep the book simple and write in such a language that everybody could understand it easily. Other and perhaps more important reason is that *I believe* that those things that you mentioned are mainly caused by toxic colon.

I didn't want to get into explaining all the immune reactions and such what's happening. I'm afraid that it might lead people into searching for 'magic bullets'. You know, if this 'magic herb' takes care of that reaction and my acne disappears.

So people think that they have cured their acne, but the underlying causes still remain. In that case the 'cure' is no better than Proactiv or other crappy acne products that do nothing but temporarily mask the symptoms.

My two pennies, but I could also be wrong.

That's true that there can be many factors contributing to acne. However, one thing remains. Acne is an indication that your system is malfunctioning. And that is almost always caused by toxicity/acidity.

Then we have to see what causes toxicity/acidity in our bodies.

I have singled out diet because *I believe* that it's the single most important factor for most people. Granted there are other sources of toxins also; air and water pollution, exposure to heavy metals and radiation, etc.

Another reason I chose diet is that it's the thing that people have most control over. It's also important that people understand that they have to take responsibility for their own health.

*dogsncats* good point mentioning that we are more sensitive to unhealthy food items when we are young. Our systems are still in good conditions and respond strongly to unhealthy foods.

Though a bad thing is that child/babies are pretty effectively desensitised by parents. Babies are fed with meat, milk, cooked stuff that are filled with chemicals and in horrible combinations.

After that kind of onslaught do you still wonder that by the time we are old enough to understand all those unhealthy foods 'seem normal and ok' to us.

And parents wonder why their babies are crying every night.

Regarding the cause of indigestion. I'm talking about it also in the book, but main reasons are

- bad food combinations

- lack of digestive enzymes in food (destroyed by cooking)

- chemicals and preservatives in food

- food is not chewed well enough

- too much food at one time

- stress

Again those are my two pennies. I'm sure there are other reasons also.

Sepsi, do you think a high fiber diet is important to "scrape" the bad stuff from the surface of your intestines?

That's a good point. It took me four years of effort before figuring out my exact acne triggers. What's interesting is that all the foods that cause me acne are ones that I disliked as a young child. My mother couldn't get me to take one bite of beef or more than a sip of milk. Even when she'd load up the milk with chocolate, I still couldn't drink it. Maybe as kids we have a stronger instinct for what's bad for our systems.

I totally agree with this. I never ate seafood because I found it gross and very unappealing. About a year ago, I started eating healthier and wanted a good protein source as I started to get into lifting. I started eating fish regularly and guess what? I got the first cysts of my life even though my acne was very minimal, almost non-existent at the time. I stopped eating fish, taking fish oil, flax oil (I'm thinking it must have something to do with EFA's) and I stopped breaking out.

Guest Stu :-)

I apologize if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but as i have found a 92.5 % cure :D i tend to flick, but any one know why we get acne in particular zones?? My head if not is greasier than what my cheeks are yet they have got all the abuse over there years, Forehead is fine.. goes for my nose, i used to get spots there too..

Im sure if i went back to some of the old foods i used to eat i probably could make them reappear in those places, but why is this??

I think high fibre diet is important to keep your colon in good condition and 'stuff' moving. Whether it helps to scrape away bad stuff from your colon? I don't know. I wouldn't count too much on diet to properly scrub your colon. Firstly I don't know how well you can do it with diet only. Secondly I colon cleanse is so much faster and gives you almost a 'clean start', after which it's easier to start eating healthier. Plus you get positive reenforcement because you feel so much better after it.

I've been thinking also why pimples appear on certain zones. I used to have plenty of pimples on my back and face, but after Accutane my back has been clear. After a while they started appearing on my scalp. So much for that 'miracle drug'.

Anybody has an answer to this?

Nope, wish I knew why when I eat nuts, peanut butter, coconut oil or pork products I break out on my neck in about 6 or 7 red and painful pimples that take weeks to go away? Didn't used to bother me when I was younger and I used to be able to eat chinese food and also fish but now no way. So any thoughts on that one?

Acne forms by the reasons every doc mentions or possibly you have read- but it can really be aggrevated by food and create more break outs.Atleast in my cause everytime i eat oily,fried food i could feel the oil in my face,and if i rubbed my face with my fingers i could see/feel the oil.So its better if you had some oily,fast food to straight away wash your face with a cleanser.