Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
buffalowings

I got sick, and now my skin looks great

Ok, so about a week ago I got really sick. I had a stuffy nose, a very sore throat, a bad cough and headaches. I hardly ever get sick during the winter, and I don't have allergies, so this was very unusual for me, especially around this time of the year.

Along with my other symptoms, I noticed that my skin, which is usually very oily, became overly dry. My cheeks looked wrinkly when I smiled, and the skin under my eyes was very wrinkly when I squinted. I cut back on benzoyl peroxide and started to moisturize 3x a day. I prepared for another big breakout -- but it never came. A couple days passed, I started get better, and still no new breakouts.

I changed nothing from my regimen (except for the more moisturizer and less benzoyl peroxide). Here it is if you're interested:

-- Wash with Head & Shoulders, then apply Jojoba Oil mixed with Tea Tree Oil and wash off

-- Spot treat with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

-- Moisturize with Cetaphil Moisturizer

In addition to my cleansing regemin, I've been on an anti-candida diet for one month. I did a spit test, and I passed with flying colors (however, I don't know how reliable that test is). So I started to take Probiotics, Garlic, and Pau D'Arco twice a day, and I avoid wheat/yeast products. Ever since I started the anti-candida diet, I never experienced the breakout that I expected to follow "die-off," but I also never experienced any dramatic clearing.

I have had no new breakouts since I got sick (except for irritation due to shaving -- also very unusual for me). My skin also feels very different -- much firmer and smoother than before.

So... my question is, was my recent spell of sickness a result of candida "die-off," and is the clearing of my skin proof that I am eliminating the candida infection?

from what i've gathered in the previous posts....

candida "die off" shouldn't be something that happens instantaneously. in fact, it should be gradual, slow, and grueling (sticking to your diet for a little more than a year..that's the grueling part).

I'm not an expert though, so don't quote me...but maybe it was just the change in your facial regimen. when i stopped using BP all over my face and what not, i didn't experience a breakout---that is until I took the damn ACNEpill, sent my diet to hell, and stopped exercising. Oh brother, back in square one.

but anywho, candida die-off would probably feel a bit more nauseating than sore or aching with cold symptoms---if you felt anything at all.

i could be wrong though. congrats on your find!

When I did a Candida cleanse I got a severely bad cold, sore throat, lost my voice runny nose and that whole story. It got so bad I had to take antibiotics. A month or so later I repeated the Candida cleanse because of the antibiotics I had taken and got a bad cold again (I hardly ever get colds). I associated that with another coincidence but now with your post I’ll research it. If I find anything I’ll let you know.

(You use head and shoulders? On your skin?)

candida "die off" shouldn't be something that happens instantaneously. in fact, it should be gradual, slow, and grueling (sticking to your diet for a little more than a year..that's the grueling part).

I didn't experience immediate die-off (I.E. happening on the same day), it kind of accumulated. I'm still feeling fuzzy headed...and it's exam week too. Although I feel a little bit better...the feeling is still there. So I really plan on upping the anti-fungals once exams are over...basically to get it over with quicker. Fatigue is also a common symptom as well...and it has hit me pretty hard.

Of course my skin is gradually improving...with noticable results every other week or so. Accutane, according to people, takes 4 months to work. I'm willing to stick to this natural approach for 4 months (mid-July, when Summer classes end) to see how it goes. So far, *thumbs up*. But I did get a moderate pimple this past week...but eh.

(You use head and shoulders? On your skin?)

Head & Shoulders contains an active ingredient called Pyrinthione Zinc...an anti-fungal. Most dandruff shampoos do...another anti-fungal is Selenium Sulfide, but they pulled that off the shelves around here.

Ok, so about a week ago I got really sick. I had a stuffy nose, a very sore throat, a bad cough and headaches. I hardly ever get sick during the winter, and I don't have allergies, so this was very unusual for me, especially around this time of the year.

Where on earth is it considered winter in May? Even in the southern hemisphere, it should only be mid-fall.

It feels like it' semi winter @ 40ish degrees in the middle of May.

40 degrees is awefully hot

I'm not an expert though, so don't quote me...but maybe it was just the change in your facial regimen. when i stopped using BP all over my face and what not, i didn't experience a breakout---that is until I took the damn ACNEpill, sent my diet to hell, and stopped exercising. Oh brother, back in square one.

but anywho, candida die-off would probably feel a bit more nauseating than sore or aching with cold symptoms---if you felt anything at all.

i could be wrong though. congrats on your find!

the whole time i was sick, i didnt even think of candida -- although i was still poppin' pills. i only thought of it a week later, and i really think the anti-candida part of my regimen is what is really helping me. but i don't think that the change in my regemin is what is responsible. moisturizer and bp have always been present in different amounts, but just to be sure, i will experiment with this more in the future.

When I did a Candida cleanse I got a severely bad cold, sore throat, lost my voice runny nose and that whole story. It got so bad I had to take antibiotics. A month or so later I repeated the Candida cleanse because of the antibiotics I had taken and got a bad cold again (I hardly ever get colds). I associated that with another coincidence but now with your post I’ll research it. If I find anything I’ll let you know.

hey ell :D ! definitely stay on the candida cleanse, but hopefully you wont need antibiotics this time. i went on a course of minocycline and thats why i originally thought i had a candida infection. but when you got sick, did you notice if your skin became any clearer? thanks ell.

I didn't experience immediate die-off (I.E. happening on the same day), it kind of accumulated. I'm still feeling fuzzy headed...and it's exam week too. Although I feel a little bit better...the feeling is still there. So I really plan on upping the anti-fungals once exams are over...basically to get it over with quicker. Fatigue is also a common symptom as well...and it has hit me pretty hard.

Of course my skin is gradually improving...with noticable results every other week or so. Accutane, according to people, takes 4 months to work. I'm willing to stick to this natural approach for 4 months (mid-July, when Summer classes end) to see how it goes. So far, *thumbs up*. But I did get a moderate pimple this past week...but eh.

when you say accumulated, does that mean your die-off symptoms continue to get worse -- or is it more of a bell curve? i still feel kinda crappy, but better than last week. i hope this doesnt last. and also, how long have you been anti-candida--ing? congrats on ur success, and good luck with ur exams :clap:

Where on earth is it considered winter in May? Even in the southern hemisphere, it should only be mid-fall.

haha... ok maybe i wasnt clear. i meant that i never get sick in the winter (when one would normally get sick)... and i dont have allergies (which is a reason why someone would get sick in the spring)... and since its spring, it was really weird (and sucky) that i got sick

Thanks for your replies, and I'll keep you posted on my results.

Congratulations! It seems to me that you are well on your way to get better. Here are my two pennies on the subject.

I think the reason you got sick was your anti-candida diet and probiotics. And it's actually a good thing. Your diet and probiotics are cleansing your body from all the harmful stuff that you have indigested throughout the years. Now that it's coming out it's causing some discomfort. This reaction is actually called 'healing crisis', and it is going to happen if you are fasting or detoxing.

Just bear with it and stick with your diet. It's really a good sign and means that you are making progress. It should get over pretty soon. Though you may get sick somewhat later again as your body continues detoxing. Future outbreaks should be easier to bear and pass faster.

Taking antibiotics would be a really bad idea at this point of time. Antibiotics kill everything (including the probiotic or beneficial bacteria). Probiotic bacteria actually protects you against candida and other harmful bacteria and parasites. Killing off that protection with antibiotics leaves you vulnerable and it is likely that candida will come back, and you are likely to see pimples again.

when you say accumulated, does that mean your die-off symptoms continue to get worse -- or is it more of a bell curve? i still feel kinda crappy, but better than last week. i hope this doesnt last. and also, how long have you been anti-candida--ing? congrats on ur success, and good luck with ur exams :clap:

It didn't get worst immediately and they piled up...so yeah, they did get worse over time...until it kind of hits its peak (I hope I'm over the peak). That peak lasted for about 5 weeks...an eternity if you ask me. I do expect some fatigue and fuzzy-headed ness to last for the next few months...but I also decreased my antifungals. I'm going to up the ante a bit to see if this really does affect my condition.

It's really bad when I have to drive to school and work everyday. For instance, one time I shifted from the 2nd gear all the way up to the 5th gear...It almost shut down my car and the cop behind me felt like he was going to pull me over. I don't know what the heck I was thinking...it takes quite a conscious effort to actually skip 2 gears when you're shifting too...so I don't know how I did it exactly. So yeah...the worst seems over, but that's because I lowered my anti-fungals to help me concentrate more on school.

I've been on this Candida regimen for about 7 weeks now, basically since mid March. Although I did do the probiotics and garlic thing in late Feb, I didn't change my diet until mid March. Honestly though, I expect to be completely acne free in about a year. Of course things should improve gradually by then.

I'm really encouraged about my progress...even though those on Accutane will see results quicker. I really want to be that success story that doesn't involve Accutane...so good that my skin looks better than Accutane skin...but we'll see.