Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyMacbeth998

Orthotrycycline anyone?

Sorry about the new thread--the previous ones didn't anser my questions :)

Anyways, my gyno wants to switch me from Yasmin to Ortho due to spotting between periods. I have been on Yasmin for years, and it helps my skin a lot. My breakouts are much less frequent. However, I have also been on Seasonale, Mircette, and Estrostep which were AWFUL.

I have heard some horror stories about ortho, and how it makes your skin worse instead of better. Any experiences/advice? thanks

I found both of those bc pills to be helpful in clearing acne.

In fact, I found Ortho tri-cyclen to be more effective of the two. Just don't take the Tri-cyclen LO (I think that's what it's called), which is slightly different from the original Ortho Tri-cyclen. The hormone balance in it may only aggravate acne.

If you're patient, you'll see best results after a few months of being on it.

Although no personal experience, Lady, OTC is the ONLY BC on the market that is also FDA approved for acne. I've seen some pretty positive results from this med. Of course, it doesn't work for everyone and, as all of us men understand...or should...no two women are the same...Good luck

Although no personal experience, Lady, OTC is the ONLY BC on the market that is also FDA approved for acne. I've seen some pretty positive results from this med. Of course, it doesn't work for everyone and, as all of us men understand...or should...no two women are the same...Good luck

My sis-in-law, a pharmacist, says the only reason OTC is touted as a BCP that can help to control acne in its advertising is due to the fact that the manufacturers went through all of the proper trials and testing to get the FDA to sanction it for that use. Pretty much all BCPs can influence acne to some degree. OTC just made sure it was legal for them to say so. However, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best one for controlling acne.

Anyway, my experience w/OTC wasn't too great. My breakouts were just more regular, and more concentrated around the sides of my chin. I also gained about 15 lbs. It also managed to effectively destroy my sex drive completely. I'm on Yasmin now and loving it.

I took OTC for almost 13 years, was off of bcp for about 4 years and am currently taking OTClow. Never saw any improvement.

I was on OTC for 2 years. I don't recommend it. It did help my skin, but the other side effects weren't worth it. I got migranes while I was on it, experienced really bad mood swings, and it also took away my sex drive. I've been off of it for 2 years now, but feel as though I haven't fully recovered.

What sucks is that my breakouts are without a doubt hormone related, and that's why bc worked. My skin was fine without the bc, but just recently I started breaking out again-which brought me here.

I didn't see the results I wanted with bp, so I broke down and saw my dermo, but I'm also seeing a Natropath doc as well. My skin is almost clear.

I would just be careful if I were you.

Good Luck!

ew ew ew i HATE OTC i got off it as soon as i could and have been on Diane 35 for about 8 years now. i adore it.

get off that OTC if it isn't working for you, it sure as hell did little for me and the whole purpose whas to regulate my period in the first place (mine used to be 12 days long!!!)

Carys is right. Yasmin is actually the #1 prescribed birth control for acne sufferers. I've been on Yasmin for several weeks now, and I'm having excellent results. My oil production is reduced to what it was before I got acne, which means I can now go back to washing my hair only every other day, thank goodness. Yasmin has been excellent. If you've found something that works decently well for you, I would not advice switching.

I was on OTC for a few months before I went on Yasmin. My acne only got worse during that period. The only thing OTC did for me was make my breakouts regular (the last week of active pills every month). The breakouts got progressively worse, until the spots were staying on my face month-long. I'm not a huge OTC fan, but again, different women respond differently to birth control.

Good luck!

Hi for all those who had success with bcp, is your skin oilier/more breakout prone during placebo week?

My sis-in-law, a pharmacist, says the only reason OTC is touted as a BCP that can help to control acne in its advertising is due to the fact that the manufacturers went through all of the proper trials and testing to get the FDA to sanction it for that use. Pretty much all BCPs can influence acne to some degree. OTC just made sure it was legal for them to say so. However, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best one for controlling acne.

Anyway, my experience w/OTC wasn't too great. My breakouts were just more regular, and more concentrated around the sides of my chin. I also gained about 15 lbs. It also managed to effectively destroy my sex drive completely. I'm on Yasmin now and loving it.

Your sis-in-law is exactly right...any BCP will help with acne...because it's really all the same stuff, or mostly - dosages are different and (ever-so) slightly diff APIs.

And yes, just because OTc is FDA-approved doesn't mean it works the best - and I'm sorry if it came off that way. As mentioned...every woman is different, hence the different dosages associated with BC.

Your experience with the weight and sex drive are also common. I've found it takes women 2 or 3 tries to find the 'right fit' for them. As mentioned Yasmin and OTC tend to be the popular ones. Start with those, and work out from there if they don't work - there are probably 50 different types of BC on any given retail shelf...each doc has a fav based on their experiences...