Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
206bear

Yasmin and low dose Spiro

is this a good combination? Im worry to start two new medicines together? any input would be helpful.

thanks

is this a good combination? Im worry to start two new medicines together? any input would be helpful.

thanks

Is yasmin a med, Thought it was some herbal thing. My experience is herbal remedies are a waste of time. Spiro nwever heard of.

The only thing that would make me hesistant in trying to meds at once is I would like to know what med is helping me out. If I were in your predicament (which I wish I was b/c i've been wanting to get on spiro for a while), I would try out Yasmin alone for 3months to see how it has helped you. Maybe after those 3 months you'll realize that perhaps you don't need spiro. You might also take into consideration the dosage of spiro: Is it 50 or 100mg. I've heard 50 mg doesn't do much, so would it be worth taking it with Yasmin?

Everyone is different though.

I've heard very good things about mixing the two meds together. You should check out the book The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman by Geoffrey Redmond. Look up his name online to check his info out.

Good luck! :D

I agree with the last post...hold off on the spiro until you've given Yasmin a try. It took me 8 months to see the full benefits of my BCP, Diane-35 (which is similar to Yasmin). Yasmin and spiro essentially do the same thing...block androgens, so Yasmin alone may be sufficient for you. Spiro also may cause breast cancer...I wasn't allowed to take it because I have a family history of breast cancer, so I would hold off on it unless you really need it.

Hi all,

I have heard of taking Yasmin and spiro together. Usually the docs give you the BCP to regulate your periods as spiro alone can really throw them out of sync. Mine are all whacked up, but I have PCOS and am entering meno at 37 so it's to be expected. I also take 200 mg of spiro daily, lower doses just didn't do it for me. I still have oily skin but my pimples are fewer, although I do get big chin cyts with the start of my once monthly (now bi-monthly) cycle.

Best wishes from bookyone :)

I agree with the last post...hold off on the spiro until you've given Yasmin a try. It took me 8 months to see the full benefits of my BCP, Diane-35 (which is similar to Yasmin). Yasmin and spiro essentially do the same thing...block androgens, so Yasmin alone may be sufficient for you. Spiro also may cause breast cancer...I wasn't allowed to take it because I have a family history of breast cancer, so I would hold off on it unless you really need it.

Hey skeptik!

My mother suffered from breast cancer, but my derm never asked me about that when he prescribed it to me. I've never heard of spiro possibly causing breast cancer! :shock: Is this common? This definitely worries me. Do you have a book or a link I can go to with more info on that. This is scary.

Anyone else with any info?

Hey skeptik!

My mother suffered from breast cancer, but my derm never asked me about that when he prescribed it to me. I've never heard of spiro possibly causing breast cancer! :shock: Is this common? This definitely worries me. Do you have a book or a link I can go to with more info on that. This is scary.

Anyone else with any info?

My derm didn't ask me about my family history of breast cancer either when he prescribed it to me. Sometimes we have to take our health into our own hands. I think the problem is that derms don't deal with breast cancer and it may not be on their mind when treating you.

So, I filled my prescription for spiro and read the patient info where it indicated that the drug should not be taken by those with a family history of breast cancer. I went back to my derm and he said I definitely shouldn't take it.

A study showed that breast cancer occured at a higher frequency in patients taking spironolactone, but the cause and effect relationship has not been established. The reason breast cancer occurs more commonly in this group may be due to the fact that this group already has "abnormal" hormone levels when compared to the rest of the population to begin with. Many people who take sprio have PCOS, which may also be linked to an increased risk of breast cancer, so it is difficult to determine if spiro is a cause or not, but for me it wasn't worth the risk.

I'm on Yasmin birth control (acts like 25mg of Spiro) and 150mg of Spiro...it works for me. You just have to figure out if your acne is hormonal or not. I notice that when I skip the spiro, acne and the oilies come back.