Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
decadeacne

Calcified Scars from cystic back acne

Hi - many years ago I had moderate/severe cystic acne which was treated with accutane.

The reason I am posting is because after accutane, I was left with "calcified scars" which are the opposite of the "icepick" type scar... and almost more like a keloid. In every spot where I had a major cyst (and there are probably over 50) on my shoulders and back, I have a small white-ish raised scar. The scars do not get tan, and they are noticeable bumps which are very unattractive.

I saw Dr. Garden in Chicago who is very famous for his work with lasers but he said that nothing can be done for this kind of scar. He is the one that called them "calcified scars." I was kind of shocked. I am really unhappy with the appearance of my back and am very self-conscious about it. They almost look like I still have acne...frozen in time... especially up close.

I have gotten many opinions and thus far have heard that most treatments that work on the face do not work well on the back - including lasers, chemical peels, etc...

Anyway, despite him being a famous doctor - I still don't believe the "nothing can be done" line... (or maybe don't want to believe it).

I tried for the last 1/2 hour to get a decent picture, but the nature of the lighting and the camera made it impossible for them to show up - but they are basically mildly raised, white-ish, and somewhat harder in texture than the surrounding skin.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi - many years ago I had moderate/severe cystic acne which was treated with accutane.

The reason I am posting is because after accutane, I was left with "calcified scars" which are the opposite of the "icepick" type scar... and almost more like a keloid. In every spot where I had a major cyst (and there are probably over 50) on my shoulders and back, I have a small white-ish raised scar. The scars do not get tan, and they are noticeable bumps which are very unattractive.

I saw Dr. Garden in Chicago who is very famous for his work with lasers but he said that nothing can be done for this kind of scar. He is the one that called them "calcified scars." I was kind of shocked. I am really unhappy with the appearance of my back and am very self-conscious about it. They almost look like I still have acne...frozen in time... especially up close.

I have gotten many opinions and thus far have heard that most treatments that work on the face do not work well on the back - including lasers, chemical peels, etc...

Anyway, despite him being a famous doctor - I still don't believe the "nothing can be done" line... (or maybe don't want to believe it).

I tried for the last 1/2 hour to get a decent picture, but the nature of the lighting and the camera made it impossible for them to show up - but they are basically mildly raised, white-ish, and somewhat harder in texture than the surrounding skin.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Maybe having them injected with kenalog, cortisone several times will soften them. I agree with you there must be a treatment that can improve these. I also read the pulsed dye laser is effective on raised scars.This was an article by the famous Tina Alster in Washington D.C. On this site http://www.spectacularskin.com/forum/ a guy named JOe said he had great success on bumps on his face such as sebaceous hyperplasia and other types with vbeam and levulan. Good luck.