Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had the worst day ever today. I had an oral presentation and I had the worst anxiety attack after it. I was shaking and everything. It was the worst attack ever. I despise presentations. Everyone staring, judging. Nerves build up, you begin to stutter, can't even talk properly. It's fking hell.

Does anyone else experience these attacks? how do you deal with them? I just broke down and cried in a little corner of my uni. :(

I have anxiety attacks depending on my stress level. I have found a lot of my attacks are related to being hypoglycemic and VERY stressful things in my life (Mother-in Law, moving). Usually they happen right after i lay down for the night, or just finish something and can finally relax. When I do have an attack I have found drinking water helps and laying down or sitting down. I try to think of peaceful things. Try not to think of things like when is this ever going to end, or things you need to do I have found this only makes it a lot worse. I started getting anxiety attacks at age 15 while in an abusive relationship. So I have had a lot of them, mine are very painful, my chest hurts afterwards. I am seeing my horrible Mother In Law in 2 days and the panic attacks have already started up. I think a lot of it is getting the stress out that you are keeping inside if that makes sense. Sometimes, I just really need to cry or scream into a pillow and that helps or talking to my husband about what is bothering me helps A LOT. I'm sorry you had a really bad anxiety attack, I know how hard it can be at that moment and wondering when the next one might happen. I applaud you for getting up in front of people and delivering a speech, i'm sure you did a lot better then what you thought you did. Good luck and I hope I helped some.

I had the worst day ever today. I had an oral presentation and I had the worst anxiety attack after it. I was shaking and everything. It was the worst attack ever. I despise presentations. Everyone staring, judging. Nerves build up, you begin to stutter, can't even talk properly. It's fking hell.

Does anyone else experience these attacks? how do you deal with them? I just broke down and cried in a little corner of my uni. :(

I often feel very nervous and burn up, but I never get the shaking that sounds horrible. You should talk to your doctor about it, their is medication that can help you. I hope you feel better now anyway, just think its over, fuck it and start again. :comfort:

Guest ilovepancakes

Unlucky, I mess up all my presentations, its kinda funny how bad i am, but i always become a nervous wreck. One time my spanish teacher told me to read a paragraph to the class, I read the first sentence, my hands were sweaty and shaking, then stopped. When my teacher asked me to continue, i ignored him until he chose someone else to read.

People say that practice is the only thing that will help, but ive given up on speaking.

ps. Dam Posh shes hot.

i go tthat shit, i don't like thinking about it because i looked like an utter idiot? Nahhhh...

yeh yeh yo u no wut am sayn yes gozza gedda gp inta da grooove be seeing them hardcore inda house of pills, n be tellin dem straight how it iz for real n they be checking ya owt two times, three times, n dey mite being givin yes all some strong meds you take right before a presentatoin or a general anti anxiety thing to take all the time repsect

i feel for you brother. sometimes you just have to just say forget it and just do it. and most of the time its us that make it hard for ourselves. once you get over the mental barrier, everything should feel better. its all in the head. i just tell myself notthign these ppl can say to me that i haven't said to myself if you know what i mean

i go tthat shit, i don't like thinking about it because i looked like an utter idiot? Nahhhh...

yeh yeh yo u no wut am sayn yes gozza gedda gp inta da grooove be seeing them hardcore inda house of pills, n be tellin dem straight how it iz for real n they be checking ya owt two times, three times, n dey mite being givin yes all some strong meds you take right before a presentatoin or a general anti anxiety thing to take all the time repsect

kids stay away from the weed!

Dude i have the exact same problem as you do. Once my teacher calls on me to read my heart rate immediately jumps to 30000000 beats per minute. When i read it sounds like i am crying and hysterical because my heart beat is so intense that it literally interrupts my speech. I end up having to clear my throat about 25 times per paragraph just to maintain an understandable voice. I went to my doctor and asked him about it and he prescribed me inderal which worked more than i could have ever imagined. It's a beta blocker that lowers your heart rate even when your are nervous. When i finally tested it out i was nervous at first but when i realized that my heart beat was normal i was able to remain calm and speak.

Guest tired of this shish

Man, I just got back from an oral presentation also. Don't ask...went horrible. My problem is that I have trouble assimilating with other people period. Not even when I have to get up and do a speech in front of people. Even when I'm talking face to face on a one on one you can barely understand me. It's like I blank out and don't know what to say next--happens when I'm feeling anxious or when I'm not feeling anxious; don't matter. And I don't even think it's acne related because I don't think about my acne when I'm in a convo. I'm too focused on the fact that I don't know what to say next to the person after they are done with their sentence...I may consider going to a speech therapist or psychiatrist. I had a teacher tell me that once in front of the class--he said, "You really have a problem, don't you? You should take those foreign student english classes. You know, they're free..."

!&*$I've been living and speaking in this fucking country for 20 damned years!!*^$%

tired_of_this_shish i believe you are talking about "mind blanks" or whatever u call em.. I used to get that sort of shit.. The solution to this problem is EASY

1 - Read more books

2 - Engage in conversation with people you love/trust.. Practice makes perfect

3 - Don't put everyone else on a pedestal.. nobody is superior to you.. you shouldn't feel like you have to engage in the perfect conversation every time u talk to someone.. treat it casually.. as if you are ready to walk away and do something more important.. shit don't even matter :P

I often feel very nervous and burn up, but I never get the shaking that sounds horrible. You should talk to your doctor about it, their is medication that can help you. I hope you feel better now anyway, just think its over, fuck it and start again. :comfort:

yeh same here i used to go bright red, like :wub: without the hearts

Guest beanz

OMG, I'm so bad about this stuff. Speech class was horrible. It was like some days, I would be fine, but other days, I would completely freak out and start shaking and whatnot. It sux so bad. For speech in college, we only had to give 2 speeches the entire semester so it wasn't TOO bad. The first one, I completely bombed. And the second one, I did really well on. I was really proud of myself after that. But my advice is to talk about something you know a lot about. I talked about home decorating because I work in a home decorating store. It's hard for me to go blank when I know all about the stuff. But if you can't do that, research as much as possible so that you DO know alot about the stuff. I understand that doesn't apply to every situation but that's what helped me. I didn't shake near as much and my voice didn't crack at all.

But if it's like in everyday life that you get these attacks, you might want to see a doctor. Hope it gets better for you! ;)

I just try to think of it like this:

You're the expert of the subject you're talking about. You've done the research and for those 5 minutes (or how ever long the presentation is) you are the person in control.

Don't worry about what the audience might say because they aren't the experts...you are!

If that doesn't work just blaze a doobie or get slightly buzzed (not drunk) before your presentation. That should relax you. It's worked for me and I graduated college!

.....I'm just kidding about that last piece of advice :wall:

i've never had an anxiety attack before but my mother has. she gets them sometimes when she's out by herself. I recommended to her that when that happens to take a few deep breaths and to program her mind by telling herself she's alright and that nothing is wrong. she's mentioned to me that this method has worked for her.

as for doing presentations, the majority of people have the fear of public speak. unfortunately the only way to get over that is by doing more of it. try taking a few deep breaths right before the presentation. try rehearsing the presentation before hand out loud and in your mind. visualize yourself up there doing the best presentation with confidence. eventually your subconsious mind with accept it and it will happen.

I had a conference in one of my university classes, and it required a presentation. I had anxiety and no longer will take classes that require me to present. It is debilitating since you can't get ahead because of your anxiety. You can know material really well, and rehearse as much as you can, but anxiety will still kick in and ruin your performance.

I think maybe what you can do is go to your school's mental health professionals. Anxiety disorders are one of the most treatable disorders, so there is hope. The first step in dealing with them is probably realizing that people really aren't judging you. Let me know how it goes.

look, if its for a degree, go to your doc they can prescribe you a one off dose to take right before the presentation...

Guest beanz

If that doesn't work just blaze a doobie or get slightly buzzed (not drunk) before your presentation. That should relax you. It's worked for me and I graduated college!

My best friend tried this and from her experience, it doesn't work. She smoked a bowl in her car before class and said she completely sobered up the moment the teacher called her name. :lol: I know Verdizzy wasn't serious but it's just a lil advice ;)

I've always found smoking crack is really helpful before a big important presentation. Something about the plastic burning.........

:rolleyes: