Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mman

My prescription/regimen dilemma

Alright, so I am sick and tired of my acne, and I would really want to clear up fast. (Don't we all)

I have been following Dan's regimen for 3 weeks, and have been using BP for at least a year. It really isn't keeping me clear, though I did only start Dan's regimen 3 weeks ago. I haven't really seen results yet, and around the same time that I started the regimen, my doc prescribed me retin a creme at .025%.

I went and picked up the creme from the pharmacy, but have not used it. I just continued to follow Dan's regimen.

Now, my acne is getting worse and spots DO NOT go away on the regimen for me. Not at all. They don't even turn to red marks, they stay raised, inflamed, and painful.

Since it was getting worse, I called my doc today and got him to prescribe me 100 mg of Doxycycline daily, and he also gave me .1% differin gel.

I will be using the Doxy for sure, but what do you think I should use as my topical? Should I stick with the regimen? (Gently Cleansing, BP twice a day with Eucerin Skin Renewal moisturizer) or should I use the differin? What about the retin-a? Please give me any input that you have...

Also, another main question I have is this.... I know everything seems to have an initial breakout. People say that the initial breakout is just the acne underneath your skin getting pushed to the surface. If that is the case, and I have been experiancing the IB on Dan's regimen, then if I switch meds, I shouldn't see another IB, should I? Since the acne has been pushed to the surface with BP, there is no more to push to the surface with Differin or Retin-a, right?

The only reason I would want to switch is because I have used BP for a long time and it doesn't seem to help too much. Also, I have mild freckles and I know that differin and retin a are supposed to fade freckles and balance your complexion.

PLEASE GIVE ANY AND ALL INPUT YOU HAVE! I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

If you have used the BP for awhile and it hasn't worked for you, maybe you should give the Differin a try? I would imagine you might get an initial breakout - how intense or how long really seems to vary a lot though. I started Differin about a week and a half ago and am on doxy too. I mostly have non-inflammatory spots, but I have had occasional problems with inflammation in the past, so I am taking the doxy too just to be sure! My acne problem is very mild, but I have had some purging - not really bad so far, but more spots than I usually get at once. If you try the differin, make sure you use it long enough to see if it is working (I've read that it can take 10-12 wks). I also started off using it every other night rather than every night to avoid irritation.

Good luck!

If you have used the BP for awhile and it hasn't worked for you, maybe you should give the Differin a try? I would imagine you might get an initial breakout - how intense or how long really seems to vary a lot though. I started Differin about a week and a half ago and am on doxy too. I mostly have non-inflammatory spots, but I have had occasional problems with inflammation in the past, so I am taking the doxy too just to be sure! My acne problem is very mild, but I have had some purging - not really bad so far, but more spots than I usually get at once. If you try the differin, make sure you use it long enough to see if it is working (I've read that it can take 10-12 wks). I also started off using it every other night rather than every night to avoid irritation.

Good luck!

Hmmm....I think I'm going to start differin tomorrow night. Do you moisturize after putting the differin on?