Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unkn0wnmale

Just got back from my appointment

Ok guys.. i just got back from an appointment that took me 1 1/2 months just to get looked at for my scars... heres a few pics..

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

My doctor wouldnt go over all kinds of different methods of fixing those scars.. i had to bring up fraxel, tca cross and a few other methods like neeedling and stuff. He was shocked that i knew so much about it lol.. but the only thing he recommended was co2 laser for $1550 for 1 treatment...

1 Has anyone had co2 laser done before?

2 Does it work good?

3 Will it work best for me?

4 Is that a good price?

I was also wondering abotu this tca stuff.. im still confused on how to do it and ive asked at least 3 times here for someone to teach me but no ones given me a good answer.. do i use it like a glycolic peel?

please explain the steps and what its used for.. is it good for me to use? will it help me? :)

thanks alot guys.

Do NOT get CO2 laser! I can't believe in this day and age your derm. suggested this! You really only have an isolated problem spot that much less invasive and dangerous methods could take care of for you. You really only need spot treatment & if you are hell-bent on going the laser route, I'd opt for fraxel. I'd do a spot dermabrasion before I'd let a CO2 laser anywhere near my face!

1. CO2 laser did absolutely NOTHING for my existing scars, left me red for months, enlarged my pores and left me with additional rolling scars on my cheeks.

2. Have you done a board search for TCA Cross? There are several in-depth threads detailing the procedure. It is a method that a lot of people found great success. Personally it did not work well for me, so I always recommend a spot treatment to see how you are going to react.

3. Have you thought about subcision followed by a filler or the possibility of grafts or floats?

i thought about alot of things but the doctor charged me $50 to look at me and would only say co2 laser.. he was getting annoying.

can you link me to the thread that tells about tca and how to use it?

Read the FAQ. It has a link to the major CROSS thread. Also use the search function and enter "cross" not too difficult, yes? The thread is lengthy but you should really understand what you are getting into so read it.

Sorry but I get carpel tunnel from repetitive motion in my hands everytime I have to type 'use the search function' or 'read the FAQ'

The only reason why dermatologists use laser treatments is because it is easy and the profit margin is huge. It takes a lot of skill to do subcision, dermabrasion, etc. and a lot of doctors don't have that skill.

The only reason why dermatologists use laser treatments is because it is easy and the profit margin is huge. It takes a lot of skill to do subcision, dermabrasion, etc. and a lot of doctors don't have that skill.

Too true.

should i try tca cross on myself?

After educating yourself about the procedure and its associated risks, if you feel comfortable in your skills to do a tca cross, then it is definitely an option for you. However, do not attempt to do anything until you have the necessary knowlege about the procedure.

This doctor sounds like one of those that just wants your money. They charge for the consultation but tell you that they will apply the consultation fee toward a service -then they recommend a very expensive service that won't work. I'm sure he paid a lot of money for his laser and now he wants to use it. I would just cut my losses and find somewhere else to go. Be glad it was only $50 and not $1550!

I have had dermabrasion, TCA Cross and subscision. I have pretty deep ice pick scars and the dermabrasion did nothing for me (this was done by a plastic surgeon, and I don't think he knew much about acne scars). Subscision worked best for me. The derm cuts the fibrous bands that are holding the scar tissue down and then eventually the collagen builds back up filling in the scar. This was a lot cheaper than dermabrasion and worked much better - but it takes time (months) for the collagen to form. There isn't much down time with this procedure -maybe a few days because you get some bruising, but definitely not like dermabrasion. This is where I would start if I were you.

I have done TCA Cross a few times but I haven't seen much improvement and one of my scars turned really red. There are several people on this board that have really had great results though. Needling may also be an option. Don't try anything yourself until you feel very comfortable with it. Good luck to you!

Unknownmale,

Listen to my advice and it'll save you money, time and nightmares.

Your overall skin tone and complexion looks perfect. You do have some scars, but be thankful that it only afected a very small part of your skin. It's the least thing someone would notice. Even from the wrost angle, your scarring looks unnoticeable. Many people on this forum would die to have your skin. So far, absolutely nothing erases scars. Most treatments only help improve your skin tone.

Now let's see the options here:

Be very careful with some treatments such as CO2 lasers (and most abrasive lasers in general) It's almost like putting on iron on your skin. It produces the same type of burn, the only difference it that it's a "CONTROLLED" burn, but it's the same s***T! Your face will be extremely red for several months, even years, and there is a great risk of further scarring. As somebody already mention, CO2 lasers were created for unskilled and unexperienced doctors. Anybody can operate these machines. They follow a 3-hour course and they're ready to go. So you better forget about this type of laser.

Some people suggest you TCA CROSS. I would be very careful with that too especially if you use high tca concentrations. There are people on this forum who have obtained "GOOD" results, but none of them have posted convincing pictures. Or at least, I haven't seen it yet. (Personally), the CROSS thing still doesn't make sense to me. (Now I'm going to make some enemies.) I think its risks outweigh its benefits.

Dermabrassion, the whole intention behind it seems to make sense, Nevertheless, it's a barbaric and medieval procedure. What do carpenters do to make a piece of wood look good, smooth,spotless and flawless?? They sand it and sand it and sand it until desired effect is achieved. Unfortunately our skin is so fragil and thin. It's a super risky hardcore procedure. There is a high probability of infection and aditional scarring. Plus, you'll have a beet face for several months. However, with the right and experienced physician, some people have obtained good results. But , it's not that easy.

Unknownmale, you may ask: "What works then? " and I'll answer: "That's what the hundreds or even thousands of members on this forum want to know"

I don't want to dissapoint you or anybody. We have to keep our faith and hope. For the moment, we can do something something to "FAKE" or "CAMOUFLAGE" our scarring. Fillers are a good option for some people. I'm considering a forehead LIFT. Everytime I stretch my skin, it camouflages my scarring.

We all want to get rid of our scars, but let's be very careful at the same time.

you ask what works?

well I can only speak from my own experience as everyone skin is different.

(and i agree with smoothlover that your skin seems really fine. personally if i were you i wouldnt worry about it, but i understand its how you feel about yourself, not what we tell you.)

Its so early into my treatment for me to say "it totally works!", so i remain conservative in my judgement. So far tho i have seen a major improvement but that could change (ie skin is prob still a bit swollen). Im having isolagen and subcision done, with possibly tca cross and nlite after. The ongoing results can be viewed by clicking my link below.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. BUT one thing..I REALLY REALLY would say STAY AWAY From C02 laser! I had it 3 yr ago, its awful, major downtime, gave me demarkation lines and only a temp result. Personally i think its not worth the time, energy or money.

thanks guys.. so what is isolagen? a filler? arent those temporary?

What should i do then? maybe ask for subcision? tca cross ? i just dont know where to start :( i know none of you would really have an answer for me and i know my skin doesnt look that bad in photos.. but in person its horrible outside or under a lightsource

how about self needling... how do i do that? just take a needle and poke a lil scar 30 times?

i could always try it on a chicken pox scar on my forehead. maybe that will work :)

do i need a special needle? anymore suppplies?

all the info your looking for is in this scar forum. to break it down you can use the search function. Its far too much information to try summarize, at least for me, sorry. Maybe someone else has the time.

p.s isolagen is not a temp filler. its injecting your own cells (fiboblasts) back into your face, creating a regenerative collagen production with heals skin tissue (scar etc) from the inside. Again there is a detailed thread on this and also info from the official isolagen site. just google 'isolagen'.

Its worth taking the time to really study and read up on the various processes..it is after all very important to make informed decisions. In doing this will also help prevent unscruplous derms and cosmetic surgeons out to make a fast buck take advantage of you.

i tried to search for needling but no one really describes how they do it...

isolagen sounds cool but i doubt it will be in the us anytime soon. :(

I am not sure if i need tca on my face because most of my scars are very visible to me unless i have a horrible light next to me... does it work on shallow rolling scars?