Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan T.

Punch Float Question

What type of scar is treated with a punch float and where is the punch graft taken from? Is Dr. Y pretty much the authority on this?

Thanks

Dan,

Punch floats and punch grafts are two different things. Floats use the existing skin and it is punched and lifted. Punch/skin grafts are where pieces of skin normally taken from behind the ear are inserted (after being liquified somehow?) into the scar.

I think Dr. Y does mainly punch floats and not grafts. I believe they are mainly for icepick and small boxcars.

I do wonder in a punch float how are they lifting the skin? Do they pull on it with something after the skin is punched, does the punch pull up the skin, or is it purely the effects of the tape applied after the skin is punched? I wonder if it would be best to subcise the scar first to really cut it free then do the punch float.

Primarily ice picks; occasionally box cars if they are symetrical and small enough. I know he didn't punch a very shallow box car as he said they don't typically lend themselves well to this treatment. Yes, Dr. Y has been doing these for decades; I had some done in Januaryby him, but they didn't turn out well; I'm thinking now it was my fault in the post-op care, so I'm going to give it another try on just 2 and be totally neurotic about the healing process for a full 2 weeks after treatment! I'll keep you guys posted and try and get some pics.

Colin, the way Dr. Y described a float to me was he punched the scar until it hit the scar tissue underneath & then he grabs hold of the skin beneath the scar tissue and pulls it up to where it is flush or slightly above skin level. The tape is supposed to hold it in place until it fully grafts. I think they can easily sink back down and/or be pulled out if not handled with EXTREME care. That's what I think happened with me.

As I said, I'm going to try it again, but this time be extra careful. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. My appt. is in 2 weeks.

Primarily ice picks; occasionally box cars if they are symetrical and small enough. I know he didn't punch a very shallow box car as he said they don't typically lend themselves well to this treatment. Yes, Dr. Y has been doing these for decades; I had some done in Januaryby him, but they didn't turn out well; I'm thinking now it was my fault in the post-op care, so I'm going to give it another try on just 2 and be totally neurotic about the healing process for a full 2 weeks after treatment! I'll keep you guys posted and try and get some pics.

Colin, the way Dr. Y described a float to me was he punched the scar until it hit the scar tissue underneath & then he grabs hold of the skin beneath the scar tissue and pulls it up to where it is flush or slightly above skin level. The tape is supposed to hold it in place until it fully grafts. I think they can easily sink back down and/or be pulled out if not handled with EXTREME care. That's what I think happened with me.

As I said, I'm going to try it again, but this time be extra careful. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. My appt. is in 2 weeks.

extreme care for the rest of your life or the 1st few weeks?

Hey butterflies -

You may want to sleep in a recliner to protect those punch floats, if that was a problem.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Dan

this is a very timely topic, I just had punch floats yesterday. Total of 65 punch floats. Will post pics later. Butterfly, what happened to your punch floats, your comment about them not turning out well kinda scares me.

^ Who did your floats? I thought 23 was a lot! Good luck w/ your healing!!

Dr Y did my punch floats. It was $50 each so I paid $3250 for 65 punch floats.

I am suppose to have dermabrasion on June 27 but decided to postpone it until I see what the punch floats would look like after they heal. Also, I just got assigned some field work in Houston for about 3 months so I will be exposed under the sun, definitely a no-no for dermabrasion.

My face was initially cleaned with alcohol, using a sterile pad. Then the scars that are to be punch floated were marked by a regular blue sign pen. I was then asked to lie down and each scar was injected with anesthesia. The application of anesthesia was more painful compared to the punch float procedure. One side was done first. I had a total of 31 on the left side of my face and 34 on the right side. A special tool was used. It is like a metallic pen that has a hole at the end. Vanessa described it as a "cookie cutter". They are in different sizes, 1 1/2 and 2 millimeter, I guess they are the sizes of hole at the end.

Each scar was poked with the tool, once the skin is broken, I felt Dr Y making a twisting, circular motion. The punched circular skin is then raised and made flushed with the surrounding skin. I dont know how the punched skin is raised (obviously I cant see it while it is being done on face) but Dr Y would say "beautiful, all flushed". Each scar took about 10 to 15 seconds to do. After all the scars are punched on each side of my face, they were cleaned using cotton buds and the sterile strips are applied using skin glue.

Today, my face is a little swollen. There is no pain but my face is a a bit itchy. The punched scars have also bled a little, so you can see some dried blood at the edges of the bandage stips.

buknoymaster - did you read animegirle's thread about "punch floats with Dr. Y"? She gave great advice for post-op care of the punches, none of which I did b/c I didn't know about it at the time. Sleep with your FACE UP and protected; DON'T TOUCH the tape & let it stay on as long as possible. Don't let the water hit them in the shower or even bump or rub them AT ALL; In fact, I plan to just NOT MOVE when I get the next round done. Apparently, you have to be REALLY careful b/c the float is so fragile; I THINK that is what I did wrong. I'll know in 2 weeks when I have a couple re-done. DON'T WORRY, JUST BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL and pm Misty (aka animegirle) if you have any questions - she's the punch float guru!!

p.s. did Dr. Yarborough do yours?

We must have been writing at the same time b/c I saw your last post after I'd applied mine. Anyway, JUST BE CAREFUL! Do you live in New Orleans or did you have to fly home with a throbbing face? I told the airline I'd been in a car wreck & I got to pre-board! First and only time in my life, I was just afraid someone might bump into me...Happy Healing!!

Yes, Dr Yarborough did my punch floats just yesterday. I told Dr Y to punch float as many scars as he can so that once I have the dermabrasion, I will have best results. I had a total of 65 punch floats. As you will see in the photos (see link below), not all of my scars were punch floated. I guess the ones that can be diminished by dermabrasion were left. I am expecting about 50% to 60% improvement.

I'm from Dallas, and I just drove coming and going from NO. I am very careful not to move or touch the strips. I had a shower this morning, facing away from the shower.

The post op care advised by Dr Y are as follows:

- not to touch the strips

- when taking a shower not to let the water directly hit my face

- just let the water flow down my face when washing my hair

- let the strips on for a week, once they start to fall off that I can gently peel them away

- just pat my face with towel to dry it off, do not rub the towel on my face

I was not given any oral or topical medication, and was told to just let the wounds heal by themselves.

One thing I noticed is that every time I eat I think the punch floats get aggravated because they seem to bleed. So now I bought some ensure and just plan on eating only liquid food. I am also trying to avoid talking too much as it seems that any facial movement causes the punch floats to bleed a little.

3 weeks before the surgery I have been on a high vitamin C diet, eating mostly fruits and drinking plenty fruit juices. I have also been taking Zinc supplement.

Here is a link to photos I just uploaded. Please note that this also include pictures of my scars before the punch float. Note that some of the strips cover more than one punch float.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/buknoymaster/album?.dir=2fa6