Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Annetta

Good Article for Young Women

Hi,

I stumbled across a good article for young women, i ran it past my doctor and she said

that it that it can help, but i should be aware of the negativities aswell.

what do you think?

http://www.pimplecity.com/birth-control-pill-for-acne.html

This sounds good. My gynecologist actually reccomended that I take birth control pills to regulate my period, which is what is probably causing me to break out anyway. I asked her if she could prescribe me one specifically for acne sufferers, so I'm hoping, once I get the OK from my neurologist, that I could start either Yasmin or Ortho Try Cyclen soon. The article said BC pills could be like a "miracle" for teenage girls going through hormonal changes. I can only pray it'll work for me. :pray:

I'm skeptical about the pill. I honestly don't recommend going on them for acne if you have regular periods, have no other need for them, etc.... There are no acne miracles.

I personally have never tried them, but in my experience, they are risky to take. I know women who cleared up on the pill but when they got off their acne came back worse because of the upset in their hormones. I also know women who never suffered from acne a day in their life and either broke out horribly while on the pill or broke out horribly when they got off the pill.

Too much messing with your natural hormones for me. I thought about the long term consequences and decided temporary relief that a pill might provide me isn't worth the future misery.

A year ago, I probably would have recommended going on the pill to deal with acne - my skin was totally clear for the ten years I was on it. Now, since going off the pill last year, my skin has been a mess and I'll likely be going on accutane. Of course, not all women who go off the pill will break out but it is a very real possibility - I know first hand :) I would suggest checking out all of your options before trying the pill.

well, i've been on pills for almost 2 years now, and on comedones for about 4 years now. i also hoped that pills would clear up my face, but it didn't. my comedones are still there.

but, the pill does help with the regular 'before period' breakouts (don't have any any more) and blackheads, which are visibly reduced.

Guest tired of this shish

well, I don't have regular periods--sometimes I will skip 2/3/4 months. Lately it has been regular..I am 25 years old. Ever since getting my period at 13, I've never had a regular year in my life. I've had blood tests done and nothing comes up. I don't know if they are looking for the right thing. I've been on Accutane and now I'm currently on antibiotics for the past 2 months. I don't want to be under them too long because it is not healthy, but at the same time I'm running chicken from Accutane again. Right now, my oil is out of control--it's chaotic! When I say that I grease up less than 1/2 an hour after washing, I mean I REALLY grease up! Nothing I do seems to control my oil which I've been told might be hormonal by members here. But isn't all acne/oil overproduction hormonal in the end? Why should I discriminate between taking antibiotics and birth control if all acne is hormonal? Should I do this to regulate my period at least? Do birth control pills work at the same level as antibiotics? I can't have anything less potent because my antibiotics are marginally doing the job...

well, I don't have regular periods--sometimes I will skip 2/3/4 months. Lately it has been regular..I am 25 years old. Ever since getting my period at 13, I've never had a regular year in my life. I've had blood tests done and nothing comes up. I don't know if they are looking for the right thing. I've been on Accutane and now I'm currently on antibiotics for the past 2 months. I don't want to be under them too long because it is not healthy, but at the same time I'm running chicken from Accutane again. Right now, my oil is out of control--it's chaotic! When I say that I grease up less than 1/2 an hour after washing, I mean I REALLY grease up! Nothing I do seems to control my oil which I've been told might be hormonal by members here. But isn't all acne/oil overproduction hormonal in the end? Why should I discriminate between taking antibiotics and birth control if all acne is hormonal? Should I do this to regulate my period at least? Do birth control pills work at the same level as antibiotics? I can't have anything less potent because my antibiotics are marginally doing the job...

That is pretty much the story of my life...since getting my period at like 13, i've never ever had a regular year in my life either. Sometimes i'd get them every 3 months, then miss 6 months, then every month, it's so all over the shop. I'm 19 now and haven't had one in about 4 months...not good i know, really bad for bone health and reproductive health too :( I'm not sure what my lack of periods is due to, because i had hormone tests and everything is fine there, but maybe it's due to being a bit underweight. I'm extremely hesistant to go on the pill because i hate all the synthetic shit and chemicals in it..my sister went on it a few years back and was very skinny and stacked on the weight, thus making me a million times more hesistant. And my skin is crazy oily too, extremely oily after an hour of washing...eww. I've also been on doxy for 7 months and it's awesome...does nothing AT ALL for oil though. At least having oily skin means you'll have much less wrinkles as you age.

Progestrone pills. 5 pills a month before bed.

Progestrone helps clear up acne. And prevent break outs. Kick starts your mentral cycle to get itself regular. I was prescribed it by my gyno.