Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrFell

the enternal problem of tanning

it is no secret that tanning/sunbathing hides the brown marks a bit, because the surrounding skin gets toned.

but, i read on this forum that tanning actually worsens your marks, how can it do that?

the marks are already hyperpigmenteted to the max, sure, sunrays causes melaninproduction, but you cant produce more melanin in a hyperpigmented area.

And the discussion that marks will get worse when of tanning. Thats just because the surrounding skin losses its tone, if your lucky, timehealing will have fixed your marks by the time the tone goes away.

Am i right or wrong?

i think they mean tanning irritates your skin and if you happen to get acne, then since your skin is in a worse off condition your more susceptible to getting marks, im not entirely sure of that though

yeah i would like to know this aswell since i used to go on the sunbeds to hide the marks a little. However ive stopped since i read on here it would be worse for me in the long run

Tanning, whether through a tanner or naturally, will result in sun/age spots. So the question would be: Is it worth it to you, for the temporary reduction in the visibility of your red spots, when you will later just have brown spots to replace them? Not to mention pre-mature aging and the risk of developing melanoma.

you ppl are such sticklers when it comes to tanning ... tanning once ina w hile in the summer isnt goign to kill you especially for some ppl who have naturally dark skin and is made to withstand the suns rays. Yes some ppl are super sensitive to it like my b/f he has had 2nd degree burns form ther sun juss from playing outside as a kid and he has suntan lotion on. I dont think red marks become darks with tanning from my own personal experience bedies exfoliating makes everything fade faster including the tan. Yes there are risks witht anning like gettign cancer but same with cigarrettes and not everyone gets cancer juss like tannign not every1 will get sunspots, wrinkles or cancer it smore or less a chance. And isnt that what life is one big chance? one big risk? just enjoy life .. dont abuse it .. but do things in moderation. i know i am going on it juss gets me angry hwo ppl tend to say do this and you will caner or something else .. but soem ppl dotn do anything never smoked, drank or tanned and they still get cancer well what about them? others smoke, drink, excessively tan and nothing happens .. hence sometimes things just happen.

It's true that tanning may mask the scars a little, but it does not make them heal any faster. In fact, it makes the healing process slower. Why tan your skin when there are so many other treatment options available?

There are so many side effects of tanning which make it not worth it. Would you go have a chemical peel done if they told you it would hide the marks a little bit (not get rid of them) and the side effects were age spots, deep wrinkles, thickening of the skin causing more clogged pores, and possibly cancer? I don't think so!

Besides all that, I see women all the time in their fifties with that "orange peel" look on their face. It's because they had acne scars when they were young and they have tanned so much that their skin has thickened causing the scars to look indented. Yuck! No thanks.

could we plz stay on-topic and not discuss cancer and stuff like that.

in which way would tanning make the healing process slower takara?

they dont fade but tanning makes ur complexion one .. for some reaosn when i tna my co9mplexion is perfect but when i dont tan you cna see some of the discolortaitons .. its sad truely sad to bad you couldnt tan all year round and have no risks .. i noly tan in the summer and so far it sbene like what once a week! ugh no job.. well i guess its self tanner for me on prom nite woohoo nice and orangey lol :dance:

Tanning will only make actual melanin hyperpigmentation(brown) marks look worse because UV damage (yes, tanning is a response to injury) stimulates melanin productio, so those brown marks will get darker too along with the surrounding skin.

For red marks without added melanin, tanning serves as a camouflage because those marks don't have more melanin than surrounding area, so the darker skin that results make the blood vessels harder to see, hence a very effective temporary camouflage effect.

But, tanning IS VERY bad. Even if you don't get skin cancer, just look at some of the tanned caucasions at the supermarket with leathery faces. Why on earth would you want to do that to yourself? I bet you they are actually much younger than their faces look.

lol bc those ppl are CRAZY and i think they have OCD bc they msut do it everday of thier lives! i will never do that personally i dont wan tto look brown like that i mean it isnt tan its like shit brown almost lol like that women in Something About Mary . .any1 seen it? Well i do tan its bene like what onc e aweek int he past 2 months lol and it hides my red amrks super well .. thats y i love the sumemr bc my compelxion looks flawless. But tanning doesnt give you cancer necessarily bc tannign does give you all the UV rays there is only one UV that the sun gives off that gives you cancer .. tanning booths dont have that. It depend on your skin, your body and juss everything .. some ppl cant even ahndle being outside for 5 min others cna b outside all day and not get burned at all .. its a risk like life in general. I think its fine if you tan in the summer .. i mean ebing outside for a half hour isnt gvoing to kill you ro goignt anning ever onc eina while .. every1 always looks better with a tan .. i must say thsoe who tan all year round like some ppl in my clas .. well umm let sjuss say they will have premature wrinkels very soon and i will laugh lol.

lol bc those ppl are CRAZY and i think they have OCD bc they msut do it everday of thier lives! i will never do that personally i dont wan tto look brown like that i mean it isnt tan its like shit brown almost lol like that women in Something About Mary . .any1 seen it? Well i do tan its bene like what onc e aweek int he past 2 months lol and it hides my red amrks super well .. thats y i love the sumemr bc my compelxion looks flawless. But tanning doesnt give you cancer necessarily bc tannign does give you all the UV rays there is only one UV that the sun gives off that gives you cancer .. tanning booths dont have that. It depend on your skin, your body and juss everything .. some ppl cant even ahndle being outside for 5 min others cna b outside all day and not get burned at all .. its a risk like life in general. I think its fine if you tan in the summer .. i mean ebing outside for a half hour isnt gvoing to kill you ro goignt anning ever onc eina while .. every1 always looks better with a tan .. i must say thsoe who tan all year round like some ppl in my clas .. well umm let sjuss say they will have premature wrinkels very soon and i will laugh lol.

This is very misguided.

UVA is what contributes to tanning, while UVB is what causes burning.

Tanning booths sometimes filter out UVB because only UVA is needed to tan.

BOTH UVA and UVB (along with UVC if the ozone layer gets even more screwed up) cause

DNA damage, UVA moreso than UVB because the longer wavelength penetrates deeper into the skin.

Also, UV damage is cumulative.

So, even if you are not outside long enough to get a tan, you're adding up the damage.

Sun exposure is NEVER without damage, unless your skin is pitch black. Today the ozone layer is much thinner than it was 30 even 20 years ago.

There was a paper i read awhile back (can't find it right now) that had dermatogists skin discussing skin aging.

Chronological aging (natural aging from time passage) and photo-aging(from UV).

It was basically agreed that if one were to remove most of photo-aging, an elderly person would not have wrinkles at all.

Wouldn't you then try hard not to contribute to your photodamage? If you got a tan at all, you've got damage that's gonna build, no ifs, ands and buts.

My point is really lthat it is irresponsible to promote minimal tanning just to look better temporarily.

Well you can't avoid the sun the whole summer can u? Well u can but it's quite sad to do that. Ur face will get whiter then the face of a dead guy..

Well you can't avoid the sun the whole summer can u? Well u can but it's quite sad to do that. Ur face will get whiter then the face of a dead guy..

Yes, it's sad..I just use self-tanner, rather not have leathery skin and wrinkles if i can help it. Plus i can burn pretty bad.

Well I saw my dermatologist for the first time the other day, I didn't like him to be honest, he was kinda nonchalant since in his opinion my condition was not bad enough to see a doctor about it (I was acne free - however I do have red and brownish marks). Anyway I asked him very throughly if it's safe to tan to help hide the marks. And he actually recomended it. I told him i've read the marks gets even darker when you tan so it's not worth it. He said I shouldn't worry that much.

Anyway i'm desperate to hide my marks on my chest, so i'm going to give a tan bed a try next week. Even if the healing process get's slower in the long run I still think it will be worth it cuz it's summer now and just the thought about not being able to take off my shirt, swim etc. is depressing. So i'll gladly mask the marks for a couple of months to be able to enjoy the summer fully. The marks will have plenty of time to heal during the fall when i'm going to have my shirt on at all times anyway.

it is impossible to avoid sun exposure .. unless you live in your house and never leave it .. but i have read that even tsanding in ur window feeling the wamth of ur sun is "dangerous" soo you want to be wrinklef ree and perfect i sugest you move to Seattle where it always rains and hardly is sunny then make sure you buy thick curtains so that no sun comes in. Now does that make you happy? Or you could sleep during the day and live life at night. Even if you wear sunscreen it wears off and doesnt protect you fully .. i juss saw an episode on tv and they mentioned sunscreen that it helps but not enuff. So i doubt many of you ahve the time to cover your entire bodies in sunscreen ever 10 -20 minutes... and if you do u are a very paranoid person. Bc the sun isnt meant to be hidden away from ..you get Vit D from the sun and infants soemtimes born with yellow pigmentation must go outside in the sun every day for a while so that it clears up. You cannot completely say the sun is bad bc it isnt blame the morons on this earth who pollute the air and are destroying the ozone bc im sure if our ozone wasnt ebing destroyed this sun problem wouldnt be so great.

Anyway i'm desperate to hide my marks on my chest, so i'm going to give a tan bed a try next week. Even if the healing process get's slower in the long run I still think it will be worth it cuz it's summer now and just the thought about not being able to take off my shirt, swim etc. is depressing. So i'll gladly mask the marks for a couple of months to be able to enjoy the summer fully. The marks will have plenty of time to heal during the fall when i'm going to have my shirt on at all times anyway.

I self tan my face nearly every day, and I go to a tanning bed once a week. After I say that, you would assume I am ungodly tan/wierd colored, but my skin sucks and doesn't tan well, and it doest't hold a sunless tan too well. I'm still not that dark, and I'm not orange.