Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest runnerB

accutane and the runnahhh

Guest runnerB

hello all, my name is brian and i recently started on accutane! before i start, i'd just like to say how glad i am i stumbled across this website! i've read a bunch of the logs, and the results so many of you have had are amazing and inspiring! first, here's a little background on my struggle with acne...

basically, im fed up. i'm in my sophomore year in HS, and ever since 7th grade or so, i've had acne. i first started using johnson and johnson continuous control facewash and benzoyl peroxide cream when i was in 8th grade. i suppose it helped a little bit, but i continued to have acne. at this point, it really didn't bother me too much, as it was really just the occasional few pimples here and there, and i was just a little chillin. freshman year, acne stepped it up. i became more and more aware of it, until one morning, very frustrated, i told the madre that i wanted to do something about it. i took minocycline for a while, which cleared up my acne nicely, but my derm wasn't very clear on how long i should be taking it. i ran out of the stuff and didn't think twice about it. durp. he also prescribed 2 different topical meds, which i forget the names of. i don't really thnk the topicals do much without the aid of the antibiotics though, and before i knew it, i was having acne trouble again. back to the dermatologist, and back to the minocycline, but this time with tazorac and duac topicals. this time i didn't see the results that i had had before. i suppose it got a little better, but i was still having pretty moderate breakouts. not to mention, tazorac is really tough on the face at night! a few months later, in march of this year, my derm decided to move me to minocycline AND doxycycline, which isn't exactly an orthodox treatment, but she said it had worked for some of her other patients.

my face blew up.

it had never been that bad, but i was willing to give the new plan a few weeks. 3 weeks later, nothing had really changed. My derm had suggested accutane before, but i immediately waved her off. i was very wary of the side effects, which i had read about. now it seemed i couldn't get on it fast enough. acne has really started to effect my self esteem, and i'm just not who i was before.

SO!

i popped the first 40mg pill on may 4th. for the first month or so i think i'm doing 1 40mg a day. she (derm) told me to keep using the topical meds for the first week or so, until i start to really dry out. right now, i'm on day 4/5, (i'm posting real late at night) just waiting for the storm that is the initial breakout to hit my face.

i just want it to come already, you know?...the sooner it comes, the sooner it goes.

i don't really know what else to say, i think i've probably bored most of you already...but it's always such a great feeling to have people who can relate.

hello all, my name is brian and i recently started on accutane! before i start, i'd just like to say how glad i am i stumbled across this website! i've read a bunch of the logs, and the results so many of you have had are amazing and inspiring! first, here's a little background on my struggle with acne...

hey brian ;)

Hmm I think you had just become a member of the best accutane log page on the web..hehe I realy think there're so many nice people around here who post their experiences with tan..That's very helpful ;)

acne has really started to effect my self esteem, and i'm just not who i was before.

Yes I know what your talking about..acne is a realy huge burden for the soul..but hey it might change our appearence but it doesn't change our innermost. So we should try to enjoy our life despite acne...lol that's easier said than done, I've often huge problems with it too. I'm on day 96 of my journey and still get some breakouts..But hey do you know something I think the last weeks had made me stronger..I'm more positive then before...We've to focus on the good things that's my opinion...at the end we'll win :D

i don't really know what else to say, i think i've probably bored most of you already...but it's always such a great feeling to have people who can relate.

haha..I know what else to say...Good Luck with your treament dude...Hope it'll work for you soon..All the Best.. ;)

cj

Guest runnerB

DAY 5

Thanks for the support guys, good luck with your own treatments as well.

My face really hasn't changed much. I guess the only thing I've noticed since I've started with the accutane is that it's a lot more sensitive. In terms of acne, maybe a little better or worse, but nothing that I could really notice. Sometimes it's hard to gauge where your face is at though.

Has anyone had trouble sleeping as a side effect of accutane? It could just be other factors, but it seemed to me like it was harder to fall asleep in the past few nights. This and the sensitivity are the only things I've seen so far.

OH YEAH!

has anyone seen that commercial for Goodyear (I think it's goodyear) with the black guy in a pinstriped suit doing a hiphop/rap to this "wheel goes round" song? the guy creeps me out because he has a really big head, mouth and teeth. kinda reminded me of jim carrey in the mask. yes, like this: http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celeb.../jimcarrey2.jpg

well that's all for now

-brian

Hi Brian! Welcome to ACCUTANE LIFE! Yay!

YES, insomnia is a part of accutane sometimes! It sucks but it's true! Just try different methods - soft music, dimming the lights an hour before bedtime, taking a hot bath (when you get out, your body temp lowers and it tells your body it's time for bed)... but other than that, I just hope it goes away soon!

Good luck! Be sure to PM any of us with questions concerning accutane! Hooray for getting clear!

Guest runnerB

thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to put it to good use. i really don't have time for an update, i'll just say i think i'm starting to get the IB, but i'm not really sure. i hope it is because then i don't have to be waiting for it any longer.

-my face has been really itchy and it's hard not to itch. is this what i shouldl use something like cetaphil cream for? (i'm already using the cleanser)

-i read somewhere, i don't remember who said it, that accutane makes it hard to regulate the blood sugar? is this true? if so, i'm going to have to watch myself extra carefully, as i'm a type 1 diabetic (since nov. 27, 2005 :shock: )

-i read somewhere, i don't remember who said it, that accutane makes it hard to regulate the blood sugar? is this true? if so, i'm going to have to watch myself extra carefully, as i'm a type 1 diabetic (since nov. 27, 2005 )

Yes, it's true. Be very careful! :) Mine was always too low and I craved sugar like crazy.

Guest runnerB

day 7

acne about the same.

side effects hitting hard. back pain, dry, itchy skin.

Guest runnerB

days 8 and 9

back pain is kinda annoying, but i can handle it. acne getting worse, but at this point i dont really care anymore. whenever i am washing my face, i shudder because i can't stand the feel of all the bumps, simply because 1) it reminds me of how bad it is and 2) it hurts.

think i'm gonna update weekly, or biweekly.

Guest runnerB

scratch that last thing i said about the updating. sometimes i just feel that if i'm posting a lot it will make my time on accutane go slower.

days 10, 11

my acne has never been this bad before. it's pretty depressing. i don't feel like doing anything, going anywhere. i'm starting to develop some bigger, nastier acne that i haven't had in the past...at least i only have 10 more days of regular school and then finals, which is sort of a double edged sword. i'll have the summer to recover, but i dunno if i'll be able to bring myself to go out if my skin is this bad all the time.

putting pics in the gallery after i post this.

-b

scratch that last thing i said about the updating. sometimes i just feel that if i'm posting a lot it will make my time on accutane go slower.

days 10, 11

my acne has never been this bad before. it's pretty depressing. i don't feel like doing anything, going anywhere. i'm starting to develop some bigger, nastier acne that i haven't had in the past...at least i only have 10 more days of regular school and then finals, which is sort of a double edged sword. i'll have the summer to recover, but i dunno if i'll be able to bring myself to go out if my skin is this bad all the time.

putting pics in the gallery after i post this.

-b

hey runner,

I'm sorry to hear that your skin is breaking out like hell. :( But hey I'm sure the IB will be over soon. I know it's a hard time for you atm. I know how it feels. But dude It will get better again. I'm sure. The accutane is working! Keep the fighting spirit up. Hey we've to focus on the target man. Beautiful clear skin awaits us. :D It's worth it. Keep your chin up dude..

Hope it will get better soon ;)

cj

Guest runnerB

day 12

first, i'd like to say that i bought a box of smacks, and it is the WORST cereal ever. maybe i'll elaborate sometime. as for the acne...

acne is same/worse. i've noticed i have a lot of whiteheads, more than i've ever had. i'm hoping this is just everything coming to the surface. side effects kinda changing a bit. my face wasn't really that itchy today/last night, but my lips have gotten pretty bad. so i carmexed them up, but my back is still bothering me. oh well.

also, i've come to the conclusion that, if i can make diabetes my bitch, which i have, then i will, in time, make acne my bitch as well.

-b

Hahaha Smacks is pretty terrible! It's got good packaging though, lots of pretty colors... maybe that's why I liked it! :think:

It sounds like you are getting the IB which is great! It means you're getting all the nasties out now! Yay!

also, i've come to the conclusion that, if i can make diabetes my bitch, which i have, then i will, in time, make acne my bitch as well.

Guest runnerB

EL DIA 13!

man i was itchy today. i don't really even pick at my acne, i just like, kinda brush it with my fingertips to make it stop ITCHINGGGG. this is WITH the moisturizer. speaking of that, i'm using the cetaphil moisturizing lotion, but i know that there's a cream also. is the cream stronger/better? whatev. as for the acne, probably same, sometimes it's hard to tell. side effects about the same. coming up on two weeks :dance: on thursday.

hasta manana,

-b

Guest runnerB

Days 14 and 15

what a two days it's been! i think, but i'm not sure, that my acne may be starting to clear a little. it's hard to tell because the lighting is different everywhere i look, you know? low lighting = :surprised:. lots of lighting = :( . even if it is getting better on the whole, i'm still getting a lot of whiteheads. it's amazing how fast whiteheads can come in, and then be gone again, isn't it? as for side effects, everything's about the same. i think i'll post some pictures next week. well, citizens, that's the report for today. until tomorrow...

-b

Guest runnerB

Day 16, 17

i think the ib is starting to chill just a little. i woke up yesterday without a bunch of new whiteheads, which i was getting, and it looks like some of the redness that i've had is starting to fade a little bit. my face still looks relatively the same to what it looked like two weeks ago though. just hoping that i'll start to see some results pretty soon

-b

Guest runnerB

day 18

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

i seriously think i'm starting to see some improvement! at least in the past few days, hopefully it'll continue, right? what i'm more pumped about is that the back pain that i was having is finally starting to go away! i'm still curious about the difference between the cetaphil lotion and cream? also, does ipledge have anything to do with me getting my blood drawn? i was supposed to go this past week, but i didn't :shifty: . pues, that's it for now...

-b

Guest runnerB

day 22

i knew i spoke too soon. again, i've reached the point where my acne has never, ever been this bad before. i can hardly look at myself in the mirror anymore. however, i dont want to sound like i dont think that it's going to get better, because i know it will, and it just takes time. just wish it didn't take so much time...

1 day of school left, and then finals!!

-b

Guest runnerB

day 23

yesterday was really bad, but i took a 40 minute shower and my skin felt really soft, and my acne didnt hurt to touch. plus all my whiteheads were gone! :D ! today was probably a tad better, really REALLY trying to not touch my face but sometimes it's just soooo itchyy. it'll get better, i know, it will.

-b

Guest runnerB

day 24

quickstyleee

acne: same or worse, 1 or 2 whiteheads reformed, got popped in morning shower.

side effects: it's realllly humid here, so my lips and face aren't very dry/itchy. or at least that's why i think they're not. my back pain has also decreased over the past week! :D

i must say, i'm a bit nervous about going up to 80mg in a few weeks. can someone who went from 40-80 tell me how it went? did you have another IB? side effects get worse?

summer's so close now...that summer scent is in the air...

-b

hey whats going on man ! well yea its still blacktaxi2d here, just a name change. anyways, its kinda good that you are starting it during summer, because the cold weather wont dry your skin out too bad. and because you wont have to deal with the kids in school. those fuckers.

well, i dont have experience going from 40mg to 80mg, but i was on 80mg the whole time and it will dry you out so much more than 40 will, and will probably give you another (less major) breakout. so whip out that moisturizer, and some chapstick or something. good luck on your course ! im almost done, wow, the course really does go by fast so thats a good thing. even though some nights seem to take forever.

and my derm said dont drink on accutane, so i dont. only because if you fail the bloodtests, you either have to go off it or take some other meds. so since i dont have anymore blood tests, theres a party on wed night at my friends apartment. i will then drink for the first time in like a year. wow. sweeeet. gl with your course man !

Guest runnerB

Day 26

hm. i've been on accutane now for almost four weeks. almost four weeks and i've seen no improvement. none. from

comparing pictures, my skin has gotten worse since i started. the other day i got my first cyst ever, or what i

think is a cyst, it's bigger than the nodules that i have, but i donno how i would be able to tell if it's pus filled.

speaking of nodules, the lower right area of my chin has turned into a nodule breeding ground. gross.

blahhhhhhhhhhhhh. also, at my dad's suggestion, i wore some makeup to cover up the intense redness that i

have yesterday. although it does cover it up, i hate feeling like i'm hiding something, especially when everybody

knows i'm hiding something. probably first and last time for that. well i'm off to study for finaallsss :wall:

-b

Guest runnerB

day 27

nothing really new except for a pimple on my nose. that's too bad because my nose was the last holdout against

the acne horde. what a rebel. forgot to say, but my forehead, which on tazorac and antibiotics was not getting

any acne, has suddenly sprouted a few trees. yarrr. although, if my face looked like my forehead, i would be

satisfied. it's not the acne itself that kills me, it's the red spots, which for me has just become red areas.

well, enough pessimism, i'd like to end on a happy note:

do you think it's just a coincidence that acne is harder

to notice when you're smiling?

i don't. :D

-b

Guest runnerB

ha i messed up my day counter!! today is

day 27

pues, yo he vuelto de destruir mi examen final de espanol!

well, i have returned from destroying my spanish final!

before i mentioned being nervous about going to 80 mg i think, but now i can't wait! THAT'S DOUBLE THE ACNE

CLEARING POWER! and i figure that if things are going well, i should be looking decent by mid july?

i'm not looking for CLEAR skin this summer, i know that will come later, but moreso just something that i feel

comfortable walking around in. on thursday i'll show you guys how i look after four weeks on 40mg, but i'm

not very pleased. it'll come though.

-b

Guest runnerB

day 28

not much to say, my right side only has maybe 1 or 2 active things at the moment, it's mostly just red marks

that i'm waiting to fade now. however, the left side looks terrible. maybe this is my REAL initial breakout? 4

whole weeks of this tomorrow!

-b