Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eloise

Murad, Exposed anyone?

Hey there,

I used Proactiv with dry results. I'm wondering if anyone has used MUrad or Exposed. If so, what were your results?

Hey there,

I used Proactiv with dry results. I'm wondering if anyone has used MUrad or Exposed. If so, what were your results?

Well, if you have tried proactiv and it didn't work for you, then you know there are different results for everyone. I myself also tried proactiv and like you, became overdried. I then tried Murad. For me, Murad was a nightmare. I switched over after proactiv didn't deliver good results. It really irritated my skin and the pink spots that were healing became red and flared. The moisturizer was really good though. I've learned with my skin, salacylic acid is not for me. That's basically the difference between proactiv and murad. Murad's second step is a salacylic acid gel. I'm better off with bp. I think proactive would be better for some of us if it didn't have such a strong dose of bp. Good Luck whatever you do!

Don't do either, do Dan's regimen--it's cheaper, you're not forced to buy kits with products that run out at different times, and it works much better since you use more benzoyl peroxide (the stuff that really clears you up, the toner doesn't do jack), you dry your skin out less by not using toner and a harsh cleanser, and you deal with the dryness from the benzoyl peroxide by generously applying an oil-free moisturizer. Everyone has dryness issues with Dan's regimen initially, but those work out once they find the right moisturizer and adjust to having large amounts of BP on their skin. I remember when I tried Proactiv that my skin was always red and flaking, but I didn't think I could use a moisturizer because of my acne.

Don't do either, do Dan's regimen--it's cheaper, you're not forced to buy kits with products that run out at different times, and it works much better since you use more benzoyl peroxide (the stuff that really clears you up, the toner doesn't do jack), you dry your skin out less by not using toner and a harsh cleanser, and you deal with the dryness from the benzoyl peroxide by generously applying an oil-free moisturizer. Everyone has dryness issues with Dan's regimen initially, but those work out once they find the right moisturizer and adjust to having large amounts of BP on their skin. I remember when I tried Proactiv that my skin was always red and flaking, but I didn't think I could use a moisturizer because of my acne.

Thanks for the suggestions. What kind of acne did you have before Dan's regimine and when did your acne start? And how do you this manual toothbrushing thing?

Thanks for the suggestions. What kind of acne did you have before Dan's regimine and when did your acne start? And how do you this manual toothbrushing thing?

I first got acne when I was 13 or so. Throughout middle and high school, my face was be completely clear except for maybe 1-3 large, very noticeable spots (papules maybe?) on my forehead and chin. All of a sudden after I graduated high school, my face just went nuts, and I broke out in pimples of all sizes all over my face rather than just in certain areas. There's a before picture in my gallery from my college ID photo, though it doesn't really show how bad it was because I was wearing a lot of makeup (albeit crappily applied) and the picture has a yellow tint to it. My acne was very much inflamed, rarely came to a head, and hurt a lot, especially larger pimples I got on my cheeks and by my mouth that scarred. I started both birth control (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) and Proactiv a few months later. The birth control reduced my acne somewhat, but not to the way it was in high school and it was still quite noticeable. The Proactiv didn't do anything, but I kept using the wash and lotion for a good 6-8 months because they kept sending stuff and I had plenty left over when my mom finally cancelled it.

After I stopped using Proactiv supplies altogether, I decided that my face was so red, irritated, and flakey from the Proactiv that I was only going to use a moisturizer that wouldn't make my skin worse, so I picked up a bottle of Target dual-action moisturizer with 0.5% salicyclic acid in it. The moisturizer neither made my acne worse nor better, but my skin did become softer and less flakey. Then after a few months of that, I read Dan's regimen and decided that I would give it a shot after all the glowing reviews. I bought a couple tubes of his BP, but I kept using the face wash and moisturizer that I had been using, neither of which were recommended products by Dan. This probably was a mistake at the beginning of the regimen (not really Dan's since I wasn't following his instructions 100% with my products), since my wash and moisturizer were pretty drying and my skin is already quite dry, and the BP just shocked it. I had exfoliated with a toothbrush before during my Proactiv angry skin days, so I decided to give it a shot, even against Dan's recommendations. The toothbrush exfoliation kept my face from looking as dry and flakey as it could have, though I'm not sure I would have needed it had Eucerin Skin Renewal been available in my area. What I do with the toothbrush is before I wash my face, I gently brush off flaking skin all over my face. I don't press hard or scrub, and I stop before I irritate my skin and make it raw or aggravate existing acne. It's quite simple, just take a plain toothbrush (unused) and be very gentle. Then I wash my face to rinse off all the skin flakes, apply Dan's BP, and moisturize (still not with optimum products but I'm working on finding things for my face at the right price). I definitely would not recommend toothbrush exfoliation to everyone since people with especially sensitive skin could break out a lot from it, but I think it has improved the texture of my skin a bit and has drastically reduced the appearance of flaking. It's definitely a vanity step for me and not related to clearing up acne or caring for my skin, though.

Wow, it seems you have gone through alot with your skin, kim. Isn't it all so frustrating? I'll try the toothbrush trick...I too suffer from those flakes. :evil:

Murad Anti-blemish one works for my skin cleases but doesnt dry and has no SA which i think is useless neway

So has anyone ever heard of EXPOSED? No, no, guys - it's not what y'all are thinking. :lol:

It's actually similar to a 3 step kit like Murad and Proactiv.

I've never used it - how about you guys?

Id like to kow if anyone has used exposed too!!! I've been considering it because the ingredients seem better than proactiv. Huhmph. Hopefully someone will answer.......

It seems like not very many have heard of EXPOSED. Y'all should look it up online. It sounds like something to consider. It combines natural botanicals with BP and salicylic acid if I remember correctly.

I wouldnt touch Murad with a ten foot pole... I unfortunately did and broke out like a mofo... Made it 20x worst..

I have heard many, many bad things about Murad. I was actually looking for Murad reviews when I found this site.

What convinced me not to use Murad was that EVERY SINGLE negative review said the EXACT same thing - initial clearing, then horrible burning, itching, cracking and even BLEEDING of the skin. It wasn't a side effect that just a few people had, anyone and everyone who had a bad experience with Murad had that.

I decided to skip Murad after that.

Hey there,

I've never tried Proactiv, Murad OR exposed, BUT I bought MD Formulations kit for adult acne about a two months ago. I tried to use the entire kit they way it was intended but the clearing face serum that came with it broke me out like crazy and made my skin really flaky and dull. The moisturizer that came with it made my skin sting. I just simply didn’t care for the cleanser or the rest of the products in the kit except for the Vitaplus clearing complex. I use it as a spot treatment and it really does work very well at clearing already existing zits. It actually works better than any other spot treatment I’ve used, but it can be quite drying hence why I only use it as a spot treatment. It’s also ridiculously expensive. I stopped using the kit after a few weeks because my skin got so dry, red, flaky and just plain irritable. It’s just now getting back to normal (as close as I can get it to normal at least). It made me realize that harsh acne products make my skin worse and by skin looks the best when I use gentle products. My skin has improved a lot in the past few weeks since I’ve started using American Vitamin Company’s Facial Cleanser (which is really gentle and really moisturizing) in place of my cleansers that target acne, and Everyday Minerals foundation and finishing powder in place of all my other makeup.

I have tried Exposed. It didn't give me the results I was after. I did, however, use the microdermabrasion cloth and still do. It's awesome for removing black heads and flaky skin. But be careful, it can rub off too much skin and scab. I have also used Proactive, which worked beautifully for about 2 years, but I guess my skin became resistant to it.

I recommend you see a dermo. I tried Dan's regimen, but it just made my skin dry and red and wrinkly looking. I finally saw my dermo and he put me on retin-a and antibiotics. I also jessafoliate with a natural bristle brush and use neosporin cream to spot treat. My skin is finally getting better. My dermo also did a chemical peel on me to help unclog pores, exfoliate and fade red marks.

I recommend you see a dermo. I tried Dan's regimen, but it just made my skin dry and red and wrinkly looking. I finally saw my dermo and he put me on retin-a and antibiotics. I also jessafoliate with a natural bristle brush and use neosporin cream to spot treat. My skin is finally getting better. My dermo also did a chemical peel on me to help unclog pores, exfoliate and fade red marks.

im new to this site.....but i want you to all know that my acne ...in the form of sebaceous cists....has been cured.

the answer is two ampicillin tablets a day .....im not allergic and the effectiveness has never worn off in 15 yrs.

hope this helps someone out there.

my email is [email protected] if anyone needs more info.

in uk penicillin only available from the doc...im sure its the same everywhere.

im new to this site.....but i want you to all know that my acne ...in the form of sebaceous cists....has been cured.

the answer is two ampicillin tablets a day .....im not allergic and the effectiveness has never worn off in 15 yrs.

hope this helps someone out there.

my email is [email protected] if anyone needs more info.

in uk penicillin only available from the doc...im sure its the same everywhere.

That's great! :clap:

You haven't had any graying of the teeth or gums...no side effects for 15 yrs? That's unbelievable!

Okay, so Murad sux and Proactiv dries out. what about ZenMed? Anyone heard of it?

murad = garbage

**F0R PE0PLE WH0 HAVENT REALLY B33N EXP0SED T0 MURAD, THEY TEND TO THINK IT IS GARBAGE [ABOVE]. BUT M0ST PE0PLEE WH0 HAVE W00D SAY THAT MURAD IS GREAT. EVERYTHING Y00H EXPECT FR0M IT C0MES TRUE. ITS JUST THE PERFECT TREATMENT OWT THERE** --TATIANNA BLAK

I stopped using Proactiv about 3 months ago because of two reasons:

1. it just stopped working

2. it dried me out something horrible

I have the Murad kit, but haven't tried it. I stumbled onto another line, called Arbonne Clear Advantage. It's a 3 step system, very similar to Proactiv, but much better. As you've read, everyone's results are different when they try stuff, but I saw results in a week, flat. I used to have small, reddish bumps on my forehead and Proactiv did nothing to help. I started using Arbonne and within three days, they were gone and my forehead is smooth :dance:

I have a contact who sells it and will give you a discount, if you're interested. Here's the website if you want to research it a little more. https://www.arbonne.com/products/beyond_basics/set.asp I love Arbonne and don't see myself using anything else. If you look at my regimen, you'll see that it's pretty basic stuff, which I love because I don't have the time or patience to do a whole bunch of shit just to get my face clean. One of the things I love most about Arbonne's cleanser is how clean my skin feels after it's been cleansed. I've never had that happen with Proactiv or any other cleanser for that matter.

Anyway, I hope this helps and that you ultimately find something that works for you. Good luck!

i'm sorry, but murad is FAR from the perfect treatment. it did nothing but dry my skin out. as for the 'regimen' i followed dan's instructions to a T, and experienced severe drying and redness, followed by the first acne scars of my life. even the quasi-effective treatments my dermatologist recommended were better than this! please, if you can find some way to afford it, see a derm, preferably a DO who treats the whole body, but even an MD, and get professional help. i've had acne for 10 years and now i have scars too, all because i tried an extreme treatment on my own.

i have just ordered a basic exposed acne kit but i only want to trial one kit how do i cancel my membership?? i clicked into membership settings and pressed cancel (next to next shipment date)..Is that all i have to do to cancel my membership, i'd hate to get a nasty surprise on my credit card statement !

I actually like murads spot treatment gel but I have mild to no acne so that most likely wont work for most of the people on this fourm. The lightning gel works really well for me and I have very fair skin. don't know if thats a factor or not but I like it. The lightning gel is expensive though. Murad is great for people who have clear skin I think or if your targeting other areas (cellulite creams are great! so is the sunless tanner and im a big fan of the lip rescue!!)

I have tried pretty much every otc acne treatment there is, and now I am just sick of smearing chemical crap on my face. I use Weleda's Iris skin care: cleansing milk, toner and moisturizer, and my skin has never looked better! (I see that this stuff is pretty pricey in the states, here you can buy it in the supermarket! Well, it is a Swiss company) Of course I still get the odd pimple, but my overall skin texture and 'glow' is much better. Plus it's natural, and if I read the ingredients, I actually KNOW what's in there. I also love love love Lush's Ocean salt scrub. It's the bomb.