Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niccolo

im gonna start accutane, looking for support

Hello people. Ive been suffering from acne since 16. My depression/social anxiety was triggered by my acne. Im now 23 and have a months supply left of minocycline. Minocycline worked great, but my dermatologist gave me an option to stick with it or go on accutane for more "permanent" results. I have decided to go on accutane.

If you people could share your experience with accutane that would be great, particularly those on a low dose, as my Dermatologist recommended a low dose for me!!

Are all those horror stories about accutane true? Or is it mostly media hype?

Hello people. Ive been suffering from acne since 16. My depression/social anxiety was triggered by my acne. Im now 23 and have a months supply left of minocycline. Minocycline worked great, but my dermatologist gave me an option to stick with it or go on accutane for more "permanent" results. I have decided to go on accutane.

If you people could share your experience with accutane that would be great, particularly those on a low dose, as my Dermatologist recommended a low dose for me!!

Are all those horror stories about accutane true? Or is it mostly media hype?

My acne got worse when I was 19-20. I was Minocycline and many other antiobiotics. It has been a miracle drug for me.

I had pretty bad cystic acne from age 13 - age 18... which is when i went on roaccutane. I am 19 now and am clear, haven't had a cyst since finishing roaccutane.

I started with 30mg of Accutane (I am about 110/115 lbs) about three weeks ago and so far so good. No initial breakout and no really bad side effects. My lips are slightly dry - but no more so than they would be in the winter. I have experienced a bit of joint discomfort but not sure if it is related to the Accutane and any way it isn't bad. Its early days for me but, based on my experience so far, I would definately recommend it. Good luck! :)

I have just about completed my 2nd month now and only after a couple of tough months am I seeing some good progress. I myself suffer from cystic acne. It has not been an easy 2 months, but in the same sense it has not been anywhere near as bad as I had expected after having read bad things about RoAcc. Very dry cracking lips, dry flaky skin mainly, though at the start of the course I did have mild headaches, hot flushes, which I still get from time to time, joint/back aches. Also you should expect some flare ups at some point, most people do and I think that along with the other symptoms it is a good sign that the med is working. Also dont expect it to be easy. My skin for the past few months has not looked great whatsoever, spots I have been getting in the first few months seemed more severe, red and painful than ever before, and they also seem to take longer to heal.

My advise if your acne bothers you alot, which I am sure it does is to go for it. So far so good for me though its an uphill struggle. Antibiotics did nothing for me except keep my acne at bay for a while until it became resistant to the anti-b and then it would come back worse than before. + Antib's also destroy all the good bacteria which in the long term can help fight acne. Works for some with moderate to mild acne though Im sure, but not me.

Most of those stories are bologna. lol. I'm done month 4 in about a week. first 2 months I was on 40mg, once a day, then got bumbed to 2 40mg pills one day, and one the next. The first month I had a few mild headache, I usually just took a nap then they were gone when I woke up. I was also really tired, I didnt mind because sleeping is sweet :). I didn't really get a initial breakout, I mostly just broke out around my chin area and in my lips/around mouth. I'll name some of the side affects i've had up to today.

- headaches (1st day, and off and on. Not anymore though) Must just be your body getting used to tane.

- Waking up with dry eyes, just rinse with water and your fine. (3rd month and on )

- Chapped lips. All though they dont hurt at all, they're still peely and gross. I usually take toilet paper and peel the skin off. (1st month and on)

- Crazy dreams, it might sound scary to you, but all my dreams feel extremely real. It's pretty cool. (2nd month and on)

- Red face, for some reason my face is kinda red, nothing really. I heard its called flaring and should go away once done tane. (month 1 and on)

- I had a extremly bad cold during the winter, which laster problee a month or so till everything was better. Had a pretty bad fever and just had to lay in bed all day. Tane slows down the healing process so I guess thats why.

- Arms have some dryness on them. Nothing really though. (4th month and on)

- This only happend about a week ago, everytime I get out of the shower, I notice my hair is really dry, like really bad naughts and what not. I guess I should just condition more..

- ringing ears, usually when im outside playing guitar, I notice my ears usually are rining afterwards, this never happened untill I started tane, this must be due to the increased brain pressure, just like when you get headaches.

That's pretty much all the side affects ive had. If I remember anymore i'll post them. I hope this helps you.

Good luck on tane. You'll be happy with the results!

thanks people. Keep em coming. Kidz, Crazy dreams? ive never read about that side effect with roaccutane. Did your dermatologist say it was roaccutane causing it?

oh, and for those people who took minocycline or antibiotics before taking accutane, how many weeks did your doctor tell you to taper off them before taking accutane? My dermatologist gave me 3 weeks max, but i reckon thats too long. 1 week is enough for my acne to completely flare up.

I never told my derm, it doesnt bother me at all. I've read a post or 2 that says their dreams seem really realistic. That's pretty much all it is.

oh, and for those people who took minocycline or antibiotics before taking accutane, how many weeks did your doctor tell you to taper off them before taking accutane? My dermatologist gave me 3 weeks max, but i reckon thats too long. 1 week is enough for my acne to completely flare up.

I am actually taking antibiotics (not minocycline or any other -cycline) with the accutane and have done for the last 3 weeks on derm's recommendation. It will probably be a short term thing, but I live in Hong Kong where doctors love to medicate so who knows. I haven't experienced any problems so far. However, I did hear that there is a risk of interaction between -cyclines and accutane causing brain swelling so if I were you I would listen to your derm's recommendation. Maybe you could ask him/her to prescribe a topical antibiotic to use during the transition?

I was on a low dose i.e 40mg one day and 20mg every other day. I am 23 as well and nothing bad ever happened to me during my course. I went out and partied, went to clubs drinking and stuff and it was all cool. My blood tests always came back good. I am now clear and my skin looks the best it has in years.

I was antibiotics too and took them until I started accutane.

I only wish I had taken accutane sooner.

I am almost done with it and I haven't had a few side effects. At first my back would be really stiff especially like when I went to bed but it would go away after about 5 to 10 minutes. Also the medicine really dries you out. I got these really dry spots on my arms the derm called it circular eczema (not sure on spelling) but he gave me some cream to put on them and that seems to work. My face also dried out, my lips got chapped, and my eyes are really dry/red. Other than that though I was very pleased.

I am almost done with it and I haven't had a few side effects. At first my back would be really stiff especially like when I went to bed but it would go away after about 5 to 10 minutes. Also the medicine really dries you out. I got these really dry spots on my arms the derm called it circular eczema (not sure on spelling) but he gave me some cream to put on them and that seems to work. My face also dried out, my lips got chapped, and my eyes are really dry/red. Other than that though I was very pleased.

Pretty much the same side effects as me, I have the dry patches on my arms too, its not really the hole arm, it's just little patches of dryness.

and yeah, the crazy dreams are insanly realistic, and by your topic about a year ago, aeman, nearly all of the posts are saying they had the same dreams. So it's obviosuly from the tane. but, its pretty cool :cool:

Accutane is amazing... It has cured me of EXTREMEEEE severe acne.

CURED.

Occasional pimple or two but other than that, its amazing...

I wash with anti-bacterial soap, you know the shitty store kind...

That is how I fight acne now, after accutane.

its amazing.

accutane is the shyt made my face normal again and im two months off 6 month course but mine went away about two months or so in.

I hope more people will post their experiences. Its actually helping ease my extreme fear of accutane. Ive actually read about this drug back when i was younger. But with all the "extreme" side effects and media hype about it, i dodged this drug always. Now, ive actually mustered enough courage to try this. Hopefully, by the 2nd or 3rd week of june, ill be on it. Ill post my updates here once i take it.

Question again: I asked my dermatologist about the psychiatric side effects of accutane (which is the main reason i dodged this drug). He said that depression is very rare and it doesnt cause psychosis? How come it states in the roche pamphlet that psychosis is another side effect? Can anyone shed some light on this?

It states that in the Roche pamphlet due to politics. A senator's son committed suicide while taking Accutane and he blamed the drug and refused to consider that perhaps there was more going on with his son. He pressured the FDA to require the labeling in the absence of any proof of causation, not even a statistically significant coorelation. In a controlled study the rate of depression went DOWN when acne patients were treated with Accutane, and the suicide rate of Accutane users is lower than that of the general population. Note the line in the warning that says something like - no one knows if Accutane caused this, and no one knows if it would have happened without Accutane. There is no evidence to directly support this assertion, it's a CYA type thing.

Niccolo - the depression / suicide thing is the side effect that I would be least concerned with, unless you already have a history of some kind of psychiatric illness. I have read in a few places (but of course that does not mean that the info is accurate!) that the risk of depression / suicide amongst users is less than 1% - compare that with the other side effects - dryness / chapped lips 95%; nose bleeds - 80%; hair thinning - 10% etc etc. I agree with beentheredonethat that, on this issue at least, the media has overhyped the connection.

Niccolo - the depression / suicide thing is the side effect that I would be least concerned with, unless you already have a history of some kind of psychiatric illness. I have read in a few places (but of course that does not mean that the info is accurate!) that the risk of depression / suicide amongst users is less than 1% - compare that with the other side effects - dryness / chapped lips 95%; nose bleeds - 80%; hair thinning - 10% etc etc. I agree with beentheredonethat that, on this issue at least, the media has overhyped the connection.

i actually do have history, depression and social anxiety-mainly caused by my acne. I was surprised my dermatologist approved accutane quickly, because when i came to see him, my face(only) was actually clear of acne because of the mino. He told me to get off mino so he could see the extent of my acne. Beleieve me i didnt want to, and i havent because the breakouts i have, have a really debilitating effect on my self esteem.

Even with a history of depression, some doctors will be willing to prescribe Accutane, but they will probably be more cautious and watch your reaction to the drug more closely. There is an interesting article on accutane and depression on www.dermadoctor.com (click on "articles" from the left hand menu and you should see an article for "Accutane and depression" on there). I think you may find it reassuring. P.S. may as well get a second opinion - there is no harm in it and it will probably help you make a decision.

i actually do have history, depression and social anxiety-mainly caused by my acne. I was surprised my dermatologist approved accutane quickly, because when i came to see him, my face(only) was actually clear of acne because of the mino. He told me to get off mino so he could see the extent of my acne. Beleieve me i didnt want to, and i havent because the breakouts i have, have a really debilitating effect on my self esteem.

My acne screws with my head too, like it does most. I am always really down when my skin is bad. In fact at one stage I thought I was suffering fro clinical depression, and in a way i probably do but I personally know for me it is all linked to my acne. And some kind of depression must surely be associated with acnein general. I can understand some people becoming depressed on accutane because your skin does get worse for the first few months, i kid you not. You have to ride it out though and think of the long term. After 2 months my skin though dry seems to finally be clearing (touch wood). Just go for it, but epxect a tough ride to start with. No pain, no gain.

My acne screws with my head too, like it does most. I am always really down when my skin is bad. In fact at one stage I thought I was suffering fro clinical depression, and in a way i probably do but I personally know for me it is all linked to my acne. And some kind of depression must surely be associated with acnein general. I can understand some people becoming depressed on accutane because your skin does get worse for the first few months, i kid you not. You have to ride it out though and think of the long term. After 2 months my skin though dry seems to finally be clearing (touch wood). Just go for it, but epxect a tough ride to start with. No pain, no gain.

yeah i understand. But will my history of depression/anxiety increase my chance of getting psychosis from accutane? This is a side effect i definitely would not want.

I was the same. Almost went on anti-depressants because my acne was screwing me and everything up around me. But then realising that acne is/was the main problem, I binned the anti-deperessants before even taking them (kinda silly as I had paid the prescription charge for the damn things). Anyway what I mean to say is if your acne is what causes you to feel low then it is the acne you need to sort out. And I think Accuante is the answer so you shouldnt worry about it unless you have had depression for any lengthy period of time which was not associated with just your acne . People only link it with depression because most of the people who end up on tane are feeling low because of their skin, and like someone said for insurance/liabilty reasons too. Depression and acne= yes, depression and Tane=no.

I could perhaps understand that as the tane can make the skin worse for while at the start of a course (I think most people do experience this), it could send some people over the edge thinking its another solution that wll not work and that their acne will be with them forever, but you just have to stick with it, ride the tane strom. And for me my skin has been bad for a few months on tane but in the last few days I am seeing real progress.......And feeling positive about it too....No acne, no bad mod