Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last time I had my brows waxed the girl told me that people with acne should not wax because it makes you break out. I have noticed that I've gotten pimples in my eyebrows before. Has anyone else noticed that?

I HATE tweezing cuz (a) it hurts (b) it makes my eyes water © i can never get the shape right.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Guest Kaelynd

I cannot answer this from experience, but I do have friends who are not even acne prone that get breakouts after getting their eyebrows waxed

From my experience, it isnt the actual wax that breaks me out, it's the oily wipe/cloth thing that you use to remove excess wax that's left on the skin that causes me to break out. My way around that is to wax... as normal. Then using the back of the wax strip to remove any "blatant" bits of wax that's left on ur skin. Then take a shower, and in the shower, use ur regular cleanser to wash ur face. Once you come out the shower, make sure you moisturise using an oil-free moisturiser.

That works for me. Maybe it can work for you too?! :)

Another thing that works for me & if you dont have enough time etc. instead of using those oily-wipe things, use jojoba oil to remove the excess wax. Jojoba oil has never broken me out :snooty: plus it's an excellent cleanser & moisturiser. I dont know where you can buy them over in the US, but in the UK you can get them at a health food store.

I hope that helps, Celebration :angel:

I've never broken out from waxing, but my skin does get a bit irritated. What I do is that I wash my face, and then apply neosporin to my eyebrows, upper lip, and chin (I get all of that waxed off..hehe) it has worked well so far..

I've seen another method of hair removal where the estheticians will thread tiny strings between their fingers and somehow rub them together to remove the hair. I guess it hurts a lot less than tweezing and they actually have more control of the amount of hair being removed.

I've seen another method of hair removal where the estheticians will thread tiny strings between their fingers and somehow rub them together to remove the hair. I guess it hurts a lot less than tweezing and they actually have more control of the amount of hair being removed.

I've got that done before.. it was a Hindu lady that did it for me. My eyebrows came out fab! I'm thinking of going back and getting them done again. :)

I've got that done before.. it was a Hindu lady that did it for me. My eyebrows came out fab! I'm thinking of going back and getting them done again. :)

Threading right? I want to try that, but I don't think there's any place that does it where I live :(.

Celebration- if it's available where you live, I'd definitely go for threading. Waxing hurts and my friends also complained that they get minor breakouts from it (not too bad, but a lot of small bumps).

Actually, I have gotten threading done, when I lived in Michigan. But I live in Florida now and haven't found anyplace that does it. I think we might be onto something with the oily wipes they use to wipe away the wax. Seems like the pores where the hair was ripped from would be open and the oil would get down deep into the follicle. So maybe it's just a matter of cleaning the area really well afterward?

Thanks for all your tips, guys!

I get threaded. It hurts way more than waxing, but doesen't damage the skin as much (good if you are on a retinoid). It costs me like 4$. Ihad my upper lip done too (2$), and I broke out in tiny painful baby pustules there. I think it was more from the irritation of ripping out those tiny little hairs......since she never put anything on afterward........it's like the pore became inflamed by ripping the hair out......and my follicle became blocked due to the effects of the inflammation......

I don't really need my upper lip done....I've got only fine blonde peachfuzz......I'm gonna stick with the eyebrows though....

Threading is the way to go!! I don't think it's that painless, and it looks a lot better and cleaner than tweezing! Threading is more precise than waxing, eliminating lines of hair, rather than a chunk from waxing.Threading is safe for those on topical medications on the face.

Beware of waxing though, if you're on topical medications, it is highly not recommended. I was on Retin-A, and the person couldn't do waxing, because the topical exfoliates my skin so much that makes my skin sensitive- don't know if that would affect the eyebrow area though.

I use hard wax, stripless wax on my clients. It kind of shrink wraps around the hairs and doesn't adhere to the skin as much as traditional wax. So you don't get the residue left over from using the soft wax. Then I usually follow up with a 1% hydrocortizone cream to reduce inflammation. It works well for my clients. Be carefull if your skin is really dehydrated around the eyes, get hydrated before waxing.

I just got my beasts of eyebrows waxed today.

It was well worth it. I dont really break out from waxing.. nothing noticable. ::knock on wood::

i think threading hurts a LOT worse. waxing is like, one quick rip, all done. with threading you can feel every individual hair being pull out. ouch.

but, i get a brazilian once a month, nothing compares to that pain.. the first time at least.

Waxing is scary (*riiiiiiip* oops, there goes half your eyebrow!) and a waste of money, in my opinion.

Tweezing doesn't hurt as much if you pull your skin tight with one finger and tweeze in the direction of the hair growth. But maybe my nerve endings are just dead at this point. Back before I got the hang of tweezing, I sometimes would take an eyebrow pencil and darken my eyebrows in the shape that I wanted. Then I tweezed the excess hairs. Helps you envision the end result much better.

Waxing is scary (*riiiiiiip* oops, there goes half your eyebrow!) and a waste of money, in my opinion.

Tweezing doesn't hurt as much if you pull your skin tight with one finger and tweeze in the direction of the hair growth. But maybe my nerve endings are just dead at this point. Back before I got the hang of tweezing, I sometimes would take an eyebrow pencil and darken my eyebrows in the shape that I wanted. Then I tweezed the excess hairs. Helps you envision the end result much better.

I have done this with the effect of accidentally pulling out more hair than I intended, due to mistaking eyebrow pencil for an area of thick hair. So, I would recommend drawing on your eyebrows in a totally unnatural color like bright blue or green or even a red lipliner so you don't mistake it for hair!

I just found a nearby salon that does threading!!! Yippee!! I'll let ya know how it goes.

By the way, how about using one of the white eyeliner sticks for outlining where you want to tweeze? Just an idea.

Oh, treading sounds awesome. I'm going to look into that!

I've waxed my eyebrows a few times at home, and I've never had any problems with breakouts. The wax that I use is freakin' awesome though. It's Poetic Waxing, and there's no strips of cloth to mess with- just the wax itself. You can buy it off of Sephora.com. I lurve it. And it's green. :D

i've read that you can use teething gel to numb the eyebrow area before tweezing. i've never tried it, cause tweezing doesn't really cause any pain for me.

Come on girls!!! Pain from tweezing?! :doh::lol: That cracks me up... I love going to the cosmetician for some tweezing experience :cool: I love it and the shape is so much nicer,... I can't believe there's so many of you that are so afraid of plucking. :eh:

Yeah, my eyes water and I wince really hard when I try to tweeze. So much that I can't see what I'm doing :doh: It doesn't hurt as much when someone else does it to me, for some reason. Oh, and the cosmetician will tweeze for you????

When I was on Accutane and could not wax, I called a few salons asking if they could just tweeze and shape my brows for me. They all said no. I even explained that I could not wax because of Accutane and they still said no. Jerks.....

well celebration im sorry to be reading that. this waxing of the brows thing is like american culture or sumtin :shifty: i guess its pretty european to tweeze your eyebrows. and i dont know a single cosmetician here that wont tweeze... :rolleyes:

EDIT : and i never break out or anything because of tweezing!

Well, I went to the place that does threading today and the girl had gone home early .... :( I'll let you know how it goes when I have time to go back again :)

well celebration im sorry to be reading that. this waxing of the brows thing is like american culture or sumtin :shifty: i guess its pretty european to tweeze your eyebrows. and i dont know a single cosmetician here that wont tweeze... :rolleyes:

EDIT : and i never break out or anything because of tweezing!

Yeah most of the salons in the Uk do tweezing rather than waxing.