Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Differin initial breakout

Hi -

I've been using a combination of mandelic acid (about 2 wks) and differin gel (1 week). I am alternating nights with these products. I got very small, scattered purging after starting the mandelic, but nothing major - all the spots cleared very fast. After starting the differin this past week, my forehead got a breakout almost overnight. I was starting to get a few breakouts on my forehead yesterday, then about 8-10 small to medium size bumps appeared between last night and this morning. Does this sound like a typical purging breakout from these products? I'm not really having problems anywhere else but my forehead (and this has been my problem area for the last few months). I'm trying to figure out if the breakout is due to purging or if it is a reaction to the products. I don't know if I should take a break from the mandelic and the differin for a night or two, or just keep using them?

IMO ... sounds like purging! Irritation would be more likely to manifest itself in the form of redness and dryness. If you are not experiencing any of that, I would continue on your current course. I'm sorry, I know it is no fun at all ... it is really frustrating to get a breakout in the opening stages of a new treatment, but if you read the retinoid logs, you'll see it happens to everyone in some form or another.

If at any point you do get sore, dry spots or find yourself peeling excessively, definitely take a day or two off and just moisturize until things go back to normal. Retinoids and mandelic both have cumulative effects that can sneak up on you.

i got the EXACT same thing with my forehead when i started Differin, and i've been on it for just over a month... seeing small improvements, and overall i've had a great experience with Differin

Thanks. I was hoping I would be one of those rare people who don't get initial breakouts (yeah, I know I'm dreaming here!). Of course most of the spots are right in the middle of my forehead - kind of between my eyebrows, so I can't even cover them with my hair. Grrrr.... And I was really hoping to be clear this friday for a CD signing by my favorite music artist than I plan to go to. Maybe it'll look better by Friday, who knows..... I'm starting to forget what it is like to have a completely smooth forehead.

hi willow,

when I started differin I had the IB within the first week as well and especially on my forehead. So as lionqueen said, hang in there, it will be worth it:). I'm on RAM .04% and I am having the IB-bunches of little bumps-it sucks!

hi willow,

when I started differin I had the IB within the first week as well and especially on my forehead. So as lionqueen said, hang in there, it will be worth it:). I'm on RAM .04% and I am having the IB-bunches of little bumps-it sucks!

Thanks - its helpful to know that this is similar to what others have experienced. So I see you switched from Differin to RAM? Differin didn't work out for you then?

The bumps aren't as bad as yesterday, and most of them look like they'll be gone in a day or two (I hope!). I do think I need a break from the topicals tonight though. My forehead is getting dry and the texture of the rest of my skin is looking only so-so. No big breakouts though (knock on wood), so I guess I should be thankful for that! I do think that the mandelic is doing a great job of unblocking my pores though. I just hope I can keep using it when I start using Differin every night. Not sure my skin will be able to handle all that, but we shall see....

Ok, so most of the bumps on the forehead turned into little scabby spots. My forehead was a bit red an irritated looking yesterday, so I took the night off from products last night. I exfoliated and moisturized and all that, but still have the scabby forehead bumps. I'm not sure if I should take another night off or not. I hate to loose progress in the middle of the purging process, but I also don't want to irritate my skin too much. I think I might need to use products less often on my forehead - maybe every other night or something like that? The rest of my face seems to be tolerating everything ok. And its mostly breaking out where my bangs don't cover - grrr.....

I'm not sure if I should take another night off or not. I hate to loose progress in the middle of the purging process, but I also don't want to irritate my skin too much. I think I might need to use products less often on my forehead - maybe every other night or something like that?

If your forehead looks red and irritated overall, take another night off.

If just the bumps are red, full steam ahead!

That's great that the rest of your face is tolerating it so well!

Hey Willow, I hope your skin is doing better:) I changed over to RAM as I didn't feel like the Differin was clearing my skin enough. I waited for 3 months though and it was clearing but I wanted to be completely clear (I might should have waited longer, I'm not sure). But now it looks much worse on the RAM from the purging process. It looks pretty rough! The differin did take time! Good luck!