Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

my theory about why Dan's BP / regimen works

Many years ago I used a Russian topical medication with a long and complicated name which was something like "Metehexolysitromin." I don't know what was in it, but it made my face clear. I put it on at night, and it instantly dried to a white powder.

A thick layer of Dan's BP also dries to a white powder (at least in my experience). What if... it's not the BP itself that's working by killing bacteria, but it's actually the "powder-factor" of it, that's simply soaking up the oil while you sleep, and it's not allowing the oil to block pores.

If the BP worked by killing bacteria inside the pores, it would make sense that rubbing in the BP in a hard fashion (in order to make sure that every single molecule of BP gets into your pores) would work better than simply putting a "mask" of BP on top of your skin. Also, 10% BP would work much better in this case, because of the higher concentration. But that's not the case: 2.5% BP works better, when it sits on top of your skin in a "mask-like" fashion.

If it's the "powder-factor" that works, and not the anti-microbal properties of BP, then simply putting a mixture of water (or something else, that "sticks" to your skin better, as long as it's oil-free) and any kind of powder - let's say baking flour for example, will work just as well as BP.

Dan, if you're interested in this, try making a tube of your gel, in which the BP will be substituted with baking flour. Of course, this is for night-time use, because you don't want to walk around with flour on your face.

I'm gonna try this one of these days; I think I'll mix Dan's BP with flour, and see what happens.

PS: just remembered.. one time I saw one of those "natural healers" and she gave me a bottle with a mix of "secret" ingredients, which dried my face, dried to a white powder when applied, and improved my acne by 1000%. I think the "secret" mix was just egg+flour.

well, that sure is an interesting theory.

BUT, Dan's gel doesn't dry to a powder, at least not in my experience. And I've used powder on my skin for years and years, and it doesn't help acne at all. Yea, it helps absorb oil so I don't have an oily shine all day, but it has never improved the acne situation.

Luckily, Science has been able to say why benzoyl peroxide is helpful in clearing acne, because it makes the skin an unsuitable environment for the acne bacteria to survive in, and it has mild comedolytic properties as well.

I'm afraid that if you put a paste of flour on your skin, you are going to likely clog your pores!

but then shouldn't 10% BP work better than 2.5%? Also, why is the "thick layer of BP" concept so important?

Well, my personal thoughts on why 10% isn't more effective than 2.5% is the way in which bp works. It produces oxygen in the pores where the acne like to live. Oxygen is oxygen. I don't think 10% makes any more oxygen than a 2.5% does, and it is a known fact that 10% is more drying and irritating which, irritation itself, can actually worsen acne. And putting on a generous amount of low-strength bp just ensures that you get all your acne-prone areas treated effectively, imo.

Then shouldn't an even lower dose of BP work the same as 2.5%?

For Dan's regimen, I just think when you smother yourself with BP whether 2.5 or 10% consistantly and massage it in until it dries it just saturate every single pore and crevises in your skin not leaving a single spot open for bacteria to hide and bread. But when you apply a thin layer on your skin it dries too quickly and does not allow a good coverage, which causes the surface area of the cream to shrink, thus not allowing BP to reach every single pore and crack on your face. Pretty much what brandy just said. They probably don't make anything less than 2.5% for acne because it's not strong enough to oxidize or provide antiseptic properties.

Oh by the way. BP is bad for you skin. Ha! I have BP in my day serum that I'm trying to get rid of.

(forgive me for not quoting w/ names, I'm so lazy)

If the BP worked by killing bacteria inside the pores, it would make sense that rubbing in the BP in a hard fashion (in order to make sure that every single molecule of BP gets into your pores) would work better than simply putting a "mask" of BP on top of your skin.

maybe my skin is weird or something, but the BP never just "dissapears" after I put it on. It just makes a white layer on top, and the only way it dissapears is if I put on moisturizer

Dan's CSR gel is clear, I don't see how it could cause a white layer.

It is a clear gel and dries clear.

Yep, your skin is just weird.... ;):razz:

edit: ah, I just discovered something. I clicked on your regimen link, and it says you are using 10% Persagel. That explains the white residue. Is that what you are using?

there is no theory to why regimen works dont over think it just use the regimen and kill your acne

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

there is no theory to why regimen works dont over think it just use the regimen and kill your acne

I think you'll find that the theory is there. Benzoyl Persoxide inhibits the growth of P.Acne's by oxygenating the skin. As far as i know, that's a pretty solid theory. The other factors to Dan's regimen are gentle cleansing, and moisturising. They both speak for themselves in my opinion.

It's a simple regimen with both scientific and practical application and results.

I love TEPLO! He always has something interesting to say. We've actually met in New York and he is a cool guy. Anyway...medical texts say that benzoyl peroxide works because of 2 factors:

1. It is the best compound in the world at killing P.Acnes bacteria. I think that's probably pretty huge.

2. It has a mild drying and peeling effect. I think this is probably important, but not as important. But hey, since nobody knows what causes acne, it's hard to say why a medication works when another one doesn't.

Let us know how your experiment works.

Dan

IMO when i was using 4% bp my skin was so much dryer and irritated and it meant my acne was constantly producing.

once i changed to CSR 2.5%bP my skin almost instantly felt i sigh of relief i cud almost feel it goin

"thanks buddy i needed that"

sorta thing.

newho my csr gel doesnt dry to a powder n stuff but i only have the newer batch i didnt use CSR wen it was the old stuf.

i always rub the bp in until my skin looks "dry" again, asin it doesnt look like it has a layer of gel on it

I'm quite convinced with the fact that it's just the anti bacterial capabilities of the BP that do the trick. This explains itself through the experiences that it takes a while to get clear on the BP. You're acne also changes, the form of it, relatively more comodonal and less inflammatory. If it would simply be the oil that it absorbs continously than your acne would come back right away after you quit using BP, like, within a week. Now it simply takes weeks for your acne to return at full strength because the bacteria amount is so thinned out.

Something that also supports this theory, and which im noticing again now that it takes the longest to get of acne at areas where you have lotsof active acne. The BP simply doesn't penetrate deep enough to go beneath the active acne so when I finally get rid of the active acne I had for a week at one spot, already new lesions show themselves, making it long proces you need quite some patience for. Even when new upcoming acne beneath the current acne, I always have tough areas with acne lesions very close to eachother. Areas finally start to get really clear once there are no big zits left (meaning that the concentration of the p. acnes bacteria in that area is really low). I always like to think I beat area in that stage and am ready to move up to another level :).

Also, Dans BP works so much better for me if I really massage/rub it in, quite gently though. Lately I'm really spending lotsof time working lotsof BP into my skin. Regularly after it starts to get really absorbed into the skin and there is little left to rub in I apply extra amounts. on top of it but I don't think that's half as effective. If you apply huge amounts though and leave that resting on your face it does leave a light very mattified white film on your face.

My theories/experiences!