Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

The current USDA Food Pyramid is government-approved propaganda for America's grain growers.

I've known this for a while, but here's an article about it: http://www.newstarget.com/001405.html

not a great article, but I'm too lazy to find a better one.

But basically, the food pyramid is bullshit, and the grain industry had a major part in making it. Surprise, surprise, grain is what you're supposed to eat most according to it.

the atkins pyramid makes a little more sense IPB Image

Yeah i agree.

I recently had a political science course and in it my professor discussed the corrupt FDA food pyramid and the politics behind it. It was very interesting and SCARY to say the least. Of course anyone with half a brain knows you can't trust our government.

based on the low glycemic index diet and my own experience, here's how I'd draw the food pyramid:

[attachmentid=4504]

Guest Gentle~Rain

based on the low glycemic index diet and my own experience, here's how I'd draw the food pyramid:

[attachmentid=4504]

I agree more with this versions except I would have the friuts and veggies in the same row :D

the thing about fruit though, is that they are high in sugar, and mess with your blood sugar just like carbs do; you need them for vitamins, but you shouldn't eat huge amounts of them. I find that one apple at a time, or one handful of grapes at a time is good. Although some fruits are sour, so I dunno...

the thing about fruit though, is that they are high in sugar, and mess with your blood sugar just like carbs do; you need them for vitamins, but you shouldn't eat huge amounts of them. I find that one apple at a time, or one handful of grapes at a time is good. Although some fruits are sour, so I dunno...

True, but they have way more vitamins and nutrients than breads and grains. Personally, I would switch fruit with the grains but it's a good pyramid. I like it.

Yes, there's simple carbs in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. However, what makes these different from juice and white bread is that they are whole and contain fibers and several beneficial compounds that we're just beginning to understand. As a result, the sugars are digested slowly, and so it really isn't going to mess up blood sugar much.

Vitamins are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of nutrients. Look into phytonutrients/flavonoids, and you'll find that there's stuff in foods like broccoli, spinach, apples, kiwi, green tea, that have enormous health benefits that go well beyond what vitamin C offers.

If you want to see specific examples, just go here and look at individual foods. This site has references to back it up:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

the thing about fruit though, is that they are high in sugar, and mess with your blood sugar just like carbs do; you need them for vitamins, but you shouldn't eat huge amounts of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose <- The 2nd paragraph says otherwise. I think fructose is okay...it doesn't affect blood sugar like glucose or sucrose does.

I agree with the USDA food pyramid though. The reason being is that carbohydrates are the body's main source of fuel. 60% of total dietary intake should come from carbohydrates, as too much protein has more serious complications than too much carbohydrates. 25% should come from protein, and the others should come from fat. At least that would be my take.

Besides, too little carbs has a serious effect on your mental capacity.

How about you chop off the top row of sweets and call it a food plateau? :D

oh, and i was responding to teplo's "pyramid"

btw, i literally JUST (like a week and a half ago) decided to consider the glycemic index thing. :-( it's obvious you've been enlightened longer.

nuts are supposed to cause breakouts according to some google searche i did, and i'm wondering where else to get protein if i don't eat meat. i've been drinking soymilk, but i try not to consume too much soy.

btw, i literally JUST (like a week and a half ago) decided to consider the glycemic index thing. :-( it's obvious you've been enlightened longer.

nuts are supposed to cause breakouts according to some google searche i did, and i'm wondering where else to get protein if i don't eat meat. i've been drinking soymilk, but i try not to consume too much soy.

Nuts cause breakouts if you have an allergy to them, like I do. Otherwise, they have some beneficial things that could help skin, like Vitamin E, omega fatty acids (mostly 6's though), fiber, and minerals. But for me, I have to keep them as only a very seldom indulgence (I still love the taste damn it... even if they do make my face itch within 10 minutes...).

If you eat them and don't have any problems, there's no reason to avoid them. They're such a perfect snack food - plenty of fat and fiber to fill you up between meals, and a much healthier choice then all the processed shit no matter how "fortified with vitamins" they may be (the same ones which your body doesn't absorb).

Any anthropologist can tell you we evolved to eat berries, nuts, roots, and lean meats. Domesticated livestock and grain give us the protein and carbs we require, but they come with a lot of baggage.

As someone above said, though, you must have an adequate intake of glucose. It's the only carbohydrate that your brain metabolizes, and you aren't going to find much of it outside of grains and roots.

Nuts cause breakouts if you have an allergy to them, like I do. Otherwise, they have some beneficial things that could help skin, like Vitamin E, omega fatty acids (mostly 6's though), fiber, and minerals. But for me, I have to keep them as only a very seldom indulgence (I still love the taste damn it... even if they do make my face itch within 10 minutes...).

If you eat them and don't have any problems, there's no reason to avoid them. They're such a perfect snack food - plenty of fat and fiber to fill you up between meals, and a much healthier choice then all the processed shit no matter how "fortified with vitamins" they may be (the same ones which your body doesn't absorb).

yea, nuts used to be my portable snacks and i learned to love them until i got scared that they might make my skin worse. i stopped eating them at the same time i began considering the glycemic index and cut out eating cereal. my skin has gotten better so i don't know if it's from the lack of nuts or cereal! too risky to experiment with!

also does anyone eat a salad or veggies or at least something light before consuming something heavier like yogurts? i also started doing that and i think my skin has improved. *shrugs*