Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Over40

Flaxseed Oil and Evening Primrose Oil

I am an over 40 female (41). I suffered from breakouts in my teens, skipped it in my 20's (for some odd reason - perhaps it was the birth control pills), but I had a reoccurence of acne in my 30s once off the pill. Now I still have oily skin and mild scarring. I have been taking Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose oil supplements and have noticed a great improvement in my skin. Not only is the scarring minimized but it is helping with the light wrinkles around my eyes. My hair and nails are healthier too since taking it AND an added plus, it helps with PMS!! I just wanted to share this with adults out there with somewhat aging skin that cannot take harsh acne medications topically.... It's taken a long time for me to realize that you have to feed and nourish your skin from the inside to see results. I also take one clarifying skin supplement by Murad. It has all your essential viatmins plus anti-inflammatory herbs such burdock root and chamomile. I hope this helps some of you out there. Sometimes I see over 30 and 40 year olds walking around with terrible skin problems and I soooo feel for them because I was there and I know it feels like a losing battle. My one bit of advice is to take care of yourselves. Try the flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil....they both have other health advantages as well. Hope this helps!

I am an over 40 female (41). I suffered from breakouts in my teens, skipped it in my 20's (for some odd reason - perhaps it was the birth control pills), but I had a reoccurence of acne in my 30s once off the pill. Now I still have oily skin and mild scarring. I have been taking Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose oil supplements and have noticed a great improvement in my skin. Not only is the scarring minimized but it is helping with the light wrinkles around my eyes. My hair and nails are healthier too since taking it AND an added plus, it helps with PMS!! I just wanted to share this with adults out there with somewhat aging skin that cannot take harsh acne medications topically.... It's taken a long time for me to realize that you have to feed and nourish your skin from the inside to see results. I also take one clarifying skin supplement by Murad. It has all your essential viatmins plus anti-inflammatory herbs such burdock root and chamomile. I hope this helps some of you out there. Sometimes I see over 30 and 40 year olds walking around with terrible skin problems and I soooo feel for them because I was there and I know it feels like a losing battle. My one bit of advice is to take care of yourselves. Try the flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil....they both have other health advantages as well. Hope this helps!

I have seen recently that alot has been written about evening primrose oil in that alot of doctors & medical/nutritional experts have said they doubt it actually has any benefits whatsover, Certainly there have been no proper clinical/ scientific tests to say otherwise . Flaxeed oil too I have heard about alot. I believe there to be some benefits, not sure if it would help bad skin though but I may try and add it to my diet. Think they are just fads that the health food industry try and sell us. In 6 months time it will be something else. I am sceptical overall but if it works for you all the luck to you

I have seen recently that alot has been written about evening primrose oil in that alot of doctors & medical/nutritional experts have said they doubt it actually has any benefits whatsover, Certainly there have been no proper clinical/ scientific tests to say otherwise . Flaxeed oil too I have heard about alot. I believe there to be some benefits, not sure if it would help bad skin though but I may try and add it to my diet. Think they are just fads that the health food industry try and sell us. In 6 months time it will be something else. I am sceptical overall but if it works for you all the luck to you

Thank you. I agree that there are many "fads" out there and we should all be careful. I can only testify to what both oils have done for me. I did a lot of research on both flaxseed and primrose oil before starting it. I needed something for my more mature skin that would fight the inflammatory acne and not dry it out to the point where there was flaking skin and the appearance of more defined wrinkles....don't need to help the aging process out!

I hope if you do try it that it is beneficial to you as well.

Thank you. I agree that there are many "fads" out there and we should all be careful. I can only testify to what both oils have done for me. I did a lot of research on both flaxseed and primrose oil before starting it. I needed something for my more mature skin that would fight the inflammatory acne and not dry it out to the point where there was flaking skin and the appearance of more defined wrinkles....don't need to help the aging process out!

Thanks. I know what you mean about harsh acne meds as I am on RoAcc at the moment but am starting to have great progress (touch wood). There are actually some meds though harsh which actually help with wrinkles believe it or not, and that is a proven fact. Retinoids for instance. I know differin cream can be used for wrinkles as well as acne at the same time. I tried it and it does really smooth your skin out, didnt help my acne but then my acne is cystic which means that topical treatments have very little effect.

Thanks. I know what you mean about harsh acne meds as I am on RoAcc at the moment but am starting to have great progress (touch wood). There are actually some meds though harsh which actually help with wrinkles believe it or not, and that is a proven fact. Retinoids for instance. I know differin cream can be used for wrinkles as well as acne at the same time. I tried it and it does really smooth your skin out, didnt help my acne but then my acne is cystic which means that topical treatments have very little effect.

Wow with all the qouted messages in our messages I couldnt see your last reply......do you mind repeating?

Wow with all the qouted messages in our messages I couldnt see your last reply......do you mind repeating?

Sorry, I believe I hit "quote" instead of "reply" when responding. I too have tried retinoids - Retin A and though it did smooth the skin, it did very little for the acne. I realized that topical treatments, though some can help, did not solve the dietary issues I was having from within. I believe adult acne is a symptom of something going on internally. Either poor diet, lack of vitamins and nutrients or just simply eating too many fatty and processed foods. Once I started the Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose oil supplements, along with a good multi-vitamin (skin clarifying supplement), I noticed such an improvement. Breakouts are much less now and even when a few blemishes do appear, they are no longer cystic or irritating... and go away quickly. Another thing I do is put pure vitamin E oil (straight from the capsule) on my face after washing. I use it as a moisturizer instead of the OTC or high moisturizers that just make my oily skin more oily. Most will shy away from putting oil on their faces, especially if they already have oiling skin, and I was nervous to do it. I'm glad I took that chance though....for the first time in my life, people actually say that I have beautiful skin. I never ever thought that would happen! It's worth giving the vitamins and minerals a chance...there are other health benefits to flaxseed such as lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, etc. www.wholehealthmd.com has more information on flaxseed oil if you're interested in reading up on it.