Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
appletime

Mark's Accutane Experience

Day 1:

Hiya,

Well to begin with I've had moderate acne/bacne since I was 14 - I'm turning 20 this September so I've been on this crazy acne experience for a while. I've tried almost everything to treat it (i.e. Mino, Doxy, Retin-A) and some worked but only initially. The acne always came back and when it did, even worse than before.

And so today my dermatologist finally prescribed Accutane for me. To be honest I was initially hesitant to go on it because I know for a fact that it's what people call "the last resort" and how many side effects there are that comes with taking the drug. But looking at the pros and cons of it I know that Accutane is the only drug that can cure my acne. And this time hopefully for good!

My derm has put me on Decutan (20mg pills) which is a generic brand of accutane. He's starting me out with a daily dosage of 40mg.

I don't really know what to expect. I'm scared because I don't think I can handle seeing my acne become worse than it already is. I do hope it controls my oil production. My face manages to look like an oil slick just 2 hours after washing my face. So it's pretty frustrating.

I've just had dinner and I have taken the 2nd pill of the day. So far I haven't experienced any side effects. I feel like I have a slight headache, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I'll update more as I go along, and I will post pictures too.

Wish me luck and I wish you all who is reading this the best with your acne as well.

Wish me luck and I wish you all who is reading this the best with your acne as well.

Hey dude,

good luck for your treatment..hope accutane will work for you soon.. ;)

Keep us updated!

btw I think you can find many useful information here... :D

All the best! And thanks for your best wishes..

cj

Day 2:

Hmm, well I haven't experienced any side effects yet. Just took my 2nd pill of the day - I'm off to bed soon. I haven't seen any difference with my oil production. I think it's too early to notice anything. I'm still as oily as ever. :confused:

For some reason I take time to think what I have for lunch or dinner now. Moreso than before, I think. I actually had a salad for dinner! Haven't done that in ages! :razz:

I'm still kinda scared about experiencing the initial breakout. I don't think I can handle seeing my face in the mirror with my acne looking much more worse. :(

Anyways, does anyone recommend a really good toner for oily skin? I'm not using anything at the moment, but I thought using a toner after washing my face would be good? It could help minimize the oil production. Let me know guys! Thanks! :)

That's all from me right now. Am off to bed. I need to go to work early tomorrow. I've got to continue working on Nickelodeon for the 9th!

Bye

Hey dude,

good luck for your treatment..hope accutane will work for you soon.. ;)

Keep us updated!

btw I think you can find many useful information here... :D

All the best! And thanks for your best wishes..

cj

Good luck!! I hope you get lucky and skip the nasty and dreadful IB!! Don't worry about the oil, it will go away soon and youll have the pleasure of experiencing dry skin lol. If your acne does get worse, try to hold your head up and be patient because this drug WILL clear you up in the end! Well just stopping by to say hi and wish ya the best of luck! :D

Guest Kaelynd

Good luck with your course of treatment:)

I wish you the best, and hope all goes well.

The toner I use, is Pure by Garnier. It seems

to work well. I have been using it for 4-5 months,

even before I started accutane. It also contains zinc,

which is very good for helping with healing active spots.

Day 3:

Hey,

I'm starting to break out in my forehead. I saw 3 new spots forming. :( And some whiteheads in my chin. I don't really know what else to do. I'm doing my best not to be down about it, but knowing I have a long journey ahead of is pretty depressing. But I know it's all for the best and that I will get clear skin at the end of this program. :)

My lips feel weird. They feel more sensitive. I have some vaseline in my cupboard - I should go use it. And I really wish my oil production would lessen. My face still looks extremely shiny.

Anyways, that's it for me right now. Nothing really exciting besides new zits! Haha.

Good luck!! I hope you get lucky and skip the nasty and dreadful IB!! Don't worry about the oil, it will go away soon and youll have the pleasure of experiencing dry skin lol. If your acne does get worse, try to hold your head up and be patient because this drug WILL clear you up in the end! Well just stopping by to say hi and wish ya the best of luck! :D

Day 3:

Hey,

I'm starting to break out in my forehead. I saw 3 new spots forming. :( And some whiteheads in my chin. I don't really know what else to do. I'm doing my best not to be down about it, but knowing I have a long journey ahead of is pretty depressing. But I know it's all for the best and that I will get clear skin at the end of this program. :)

My lips feel weird. They feel more sensitive. I have some vaseline in my cupboard - I should go use it. And I really wish my oil production would lessen. My face still looks extremely shiny.

Anyways, that's it for me right now. Nothing really exciting besides new zits! Haha.

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna go look for that toner. Thanks again! :D

Hey! Congrats on getting the tane! Try not to get discouraged! Like you said, ".....clear skin at the end of this program" Just remember it's only 5 months. In the grand scheme of things, it's only 5 months. That's what I tell myself. It's already been 20 years, what the hell is 5 months!!

Your going to be oily for about 2 weeks then you should dry out. I don't know that I'd spend money on toner now cause you won't need it when you hit the dry phase. Be patient. Just throwing out my 2 cents.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask questions if you like. Jules ;)

Day 4:

Hiya,

Well I've fucked up today. Pardon my language, but I've forgotten to take my first pill during lunch. And so when I had dinner I took 2 instead of 1 to make up for the one earlier. Now I feel somewhat scared because I don't know if I should really be taking 2 at one time. :(

The spots on my forehead are more visible now. But besides that, nothing new to report. I wish I'd get the IB NOW, instead of later. I just wanna be clear ASAP. Haha. Wishful thinking, right?

I'm gonna get on to bed now. I am soooo exhausted. I really need to rest.

Take care and stay clear!

Mark

Hey! Congrats on getting the tane! Try not to get discouraged! Like you said, ".....clear skin at the end of this program" Just remember it's only 5 months. In the grand scheme of things, it's only 5 months. That's what I tell myself. It's already been 20 years, what the hell is 5 months!!

Your going to be oily for about 2 weeks then you should dry out. I don't know that I'd spend money on toner now cause you won't need it when you hit the dry phase. Be patient. Just throwing out my 2 cents.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask questions if you like. Jules ;)

It's okay to take the both at the same time. In some people it upsets their stomachs when they take them together so they take 1 in the am and 1 in pm.

It's also better for absorption to take them twice a day... but Jules is right, it shouldn't be a big deal!

About your skin, your skin will probably get oilier before it gets drier - I was an oil slick for almost 2 weeks!

Good luck with everything! I hope you DON'T get an IB at all, but if you do, hopefully it will be soon! Chin up, you are on your way to clear skin! :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna go look for that toner. Thanks again! :D

I wouldn't use a toner whilst on roaccutane 8-) your skin will get dry enough, surely? Though I suppose during the early days you could use one...

It's okay to take the both at the same time. In some people it upsets their stomachs when they take them together so they take 1 in the am and 1 in pm.

It's also better for absorption to take them twice a day... but Jules is right, it shouldn't be a big deal!

About your skin, your skin will probably get oilier before it gets drier - I was an oil slick for almost 2 weeks!

Good luck with everything! I hope you DON'T get an IB at all, but if you do, hopefully it will be soon! Chin up, you are on your way to clear skin! :)

I didn't know this; my pharmacist said that when I bump up my dosage I should take them both at once... :S should I do one in the morning and one in the afternoon instead (steals your thread! lol...)

Though I don't have to deal with oily skin as my skin is very dry generally perhaps you could use a toner lol... though I would defo stop when you're further into your treatment...

I didn't know this; my pharmacist said that when I bump up my dosage I should take them both at once... :S should I do one in the morning and one in the afternoon instead (steals your thread! lol...)

hey English. I did not say not to take the two pills at the same time. Like it says in my quote "In some people it upsets their stomaches when they take them together so they take 1 in the am and 1 in the pm." Hope that clarifies. Jules

Hello Mark! How is everything going? My acne is improving wonderfully thanks for asking. My back is my problem area and I've seen a marked improvement so far. My face wasn't really bad but I am having some flair ups. Oh well, it's all part of the tane experience. My derm is upping from 40mgs a day to 80mgs a day so we'll see what happens then. Hope to see you in my log. I'll be checking back to see how you're doing. Jules ;)

Thanks for the best wishes. :) I also hope I don't get an IB as well!

Day 5 & 6:

Sorry for not updating yesterday. I was just too exhausted from work and from going to the gym. I hope things are going okay for you guys!

I haven't had any new breakouts from the ones I mentioned earlier. My skin is atarting to peel and it's kinda strange. I think my t-zone is still pretty oily, but my cheeks are somewhat drying up. My lips are also starting to dry up. They're pretty rough in the morning, especially. Anything you guys would recommend me using?

Just had lunch and took a pill. I feel somewhat weird because my manager saw me looking at this webpage reading all of your comments. So I confessed to her that I actually keep a log of my progress while I'm on accutane and she was actually very supportive. I'm so lucky to have her as a manager. :) Whoo!

Anyways, I have to go. But before I leave is there any good moisturizer that you recommend me using?

Thanks guys,

M x

this is the first thread focused on experience w/ isotretinoin that i've read. im a bit overwhelmed after learning that you guys were prescribed that much. i've been on 10mg isotretinoin per day (brand Acnetrex, generic i guess) for two weeks now. first side effect appeared on my 5th day - dry lips (they felt thicker each day until now). in the middle of my second week, my skin started to peel. the dosage is really low but im getting pretty good results. i believe you will too. hey, good luck to you appletime! good luck to all of us! :angel:

btw, im on topical meds too but in times when i feel that my skin is overdrying, i skip my topical medications (astringent, antibiotic, resorcin sulfur). big bumps don't get too big but they've been drying out quickly these past few days. dark spots are improving as well due to the peeling, very noticeable after washing/bath.

Day 7:

Hey,

Nothing much to say. I have a new zit in between my eyebrows, on top of my nose. It's annoying to see. :doubt:

My lips are starting to dry out more. I'm using a lot of vaseline. Is this a good option? Is there a better product I could use? Especially about the moisturizer. I really do need one, but I'm clueless about which product to buy. Hope you guys can help. :)

Anyways, I'm going to bed. I have to get my bloodwork done tomorrow! Wish me luck! Aaagghhh. :ninja:

M x

this is the first thread focused on experience w/ isotretinoin that i've read. im a bit overwhelmed after learning that you guys were prescribed that much. i've been on 10mg isotretinoin per day (brand Acnetrex, generic i guess) for two weeks now. first side effect appeared on my 5th day - dry lips (they felt thicker each day until now). in the middle of my second week, my skin started to peel. the dosage is really low but im getting pretty good results. i believe you will too. hey, good luck to you appletime! good luck to all of us! :angel:

btw, im on topical meds too but in times when i feel that my skin is overdrying, i skip my topical medications (astringent, antibiotic, resorcin sulfur). big bumps don't get too big but they've been drying out quickly these past few days. dark spots are improving as well due to the peeling, very noticeable after washing/bath.

Day 7:

Hey,

Nothing much to say. I have a new zit in between my eyebrows, on top of my nose. It's annoying to see. :doubt:

My lips are starting to dry out more. I'm using a lot of vaseline. Is this a good option? Is there a better product I could use? Especially about the moisturizer. I really do need one, but I'm clueless about which product to buy. Hope you guys can help. :)

Anyways, I'm going to bed. I have to get my bloodwork done tomorrow! Wish me luck! Aaagghhh. :ninja:

Hello!! I've used vaseline on my lips at night time. During the day I don't go anywhere with out my chapstick. I use the blue tube / vaseline moisturizer spf 15 / been using it for awhile now. Love it :wub: As far as moisturizer try Cetaphil moisturizer. It's got a clean smell.

Good luck with the blood work.

I LOVE Burt's Bees! It really is the best! That's my recommendation!

Sorry about the nose zit! Hopefully it will go away SOON! Yay accutane!

hi appletime! how are you today?

just dropped by to post some info that might help:

i know that the drug manufacturers (acnetrex & accutane as well) strictly warns/forbids us from taking vitamin A supplements. but i was kind of worried about the effects of the drug on my liver (as i've learned from leo kiesen's book. uhh...have you heard about him & his "Last Acne Solution", which is kinda like a holistic approach? there's a zillion tons of info to learn from the man).

so i started taking MULTIvitamins (the best that's available in my house at the moment, Pharmanex LifePak...& no, it's not vitamin a concentrated) in its suggested full dosage, in addition to the "skin, hair & nails supplements tablets" that my derm gave me before i started taking isotretinoin, and i have to say that i started feeling much better since then. im not taking these LifePak supplements after the same meal that i take my isotret, though.

i also dilute 1-2 lemons/limes in a cup of water every morning for vitamin C, to help neutralize toxins, thereby taking some burden off my liver (as advised by kiesen as well). the liver, by the way has so much role to play in keeping the skin clear. plus, i take lots of fiber in the morning - from whole grain rolled oats for added internal cleansing.

im not advising you to take vitamin a supplements as i wouldn't know the effects with regard to your isotret dosage & also to prevent bad side-effects of vitamin a overdose, such as drier skin, but the lemons & fiber might help.

We have a lot in common! I'm surprised you're only on 10mg a day. My derm started me on 40 mg a day. I'm assuming you have mild/moderate acne? I hear you about the dry lips. I'm slathering vaseline all over mine. It's annoying, but it's also something I could live with. eusa_think.gif About the topical meds, I was prescribed an Erythromycin topical solution but I stopped using it on the 4th day seeing as how my face would start peeling and itching.

Hello!! I've used vaseline on my lips at night time. During the day I don't go anywhere with out my chapstick. I use the blue tube / vaseline moisturizer spf 15 / been using it for awhile now. Love it :wub: As far as moisturizer try Cetaphil moisturizer. It's got a clean smell.

Good luck with the blood work.

Hey Jules! How are ya? Thanks for the tip about the moisturizer. I'm gonna check that out. :) Vaseline is like my best friend these days. You wouldn't believe how dry my lips are - it's crazy! I need to moisturize it every 1-2 hours. :confused:

I LOVE Burt's Bees! It really is the best! That's my recommendation!

Sorry about the nose zit! Hopefully it will go away SOON! Yay accutane!

Hey there! I wish I could get Burt's Bees products - but it's not available here. I've heard a lot of good things about it though. :)

Thanks!

hi appletime! how are you today?

just dropped by to post some info that might help:

i know that the drug manufacturers (acnetrex & accutane as well) strictly warns/forbids us from taking vitamin A supplements. but i was kind of worried about the effects of the drug on my liver (as i've learned from leo kiesen's book. uhh...have you heard about him & his "Last Acne Solution", which is kinda like a holistic approach? there's a zillion tons of info to learn from the man).

so i started taking MULTIvitamins (the best that's available in my house at the moment, Pharmanex LifePak...& no, it's not vitamin a concentrated) in its suggested full dosage, in addition to the "skin, hair & nails supplements tablets" that my derm gave me before i started taking isotretinoin, and i have to say that i started feeling much better since then. im not taking these LifePak supplements after the same meal that i take my isotret, though.

i also dilute 1-2 lemons/limes in a cup of water every morning for vitamin C, to help neutralize toxins, thereby taking some burden off my liver (as advised by kiesen as well). the liver, by the way has so much role to play in keeping the skin clear. plus, i take lots of fiber in the morning - from whole grain rolled oats for added internal cleansing.

im not advising you to take vitamin a supplements as i wouldn't know the effects with regard to your isotret dosage & also to prevent bad side-effects of vitamin a overdose, such as drier skin, but the lemons & fiber might help.

We have a lot in common! I'm surprised you're only on 10mg a day. My derm started me on 40 mg a day. I'm assuming you have mild/moderate acne? I hear you about the dry lips. I'm slathering vaseline all over mine. It's annoying, but it's also something I could live with. eusa_think.gif About the topical meds, I was prescribed an Erythromycin topical solution but I stopped using it on the 4th day seeing as how my face would start peeling and itching.

well my condition had been ranging from mild to severe for ten years (got a little severe lately when big cysts started appearing on my chin & jaw line - amounting to nearly 10 - that's why i looked for a new doctor who finally prescribed me to take acnetrex). i normally had comedonal acne from age 12... i still don't know if my derm's going to raise the dosage on my next visit (should have visited her a few days ago), as what others had experienced. im applying vaseline on my lips too, although i skip it sometimes when i stay home coz i dont want it causing further breakouts on my chin. (do you get problems on your chin too? if you do, quickly switch to flavour-and-fluoride-free toothpaste.)

so there. hope to hear about your progress soon!

P.S. Leo was never in favor of Accutane...but in my case, i already started taking the drug before i got the book.

Hey! I'm doin' good, thanks. :) How about you?

Thanks a million for the advice re: fiber intake and vitamin c. Do you think eating oranges might be benefitial as well? I'm not too fond of lime/lemon drinks. :| I haven't heard about Leo Kiesen's book, but I will go look for it and try to read what he has to say. So do you plan on continuing taking multi-vitamin tablets with your isotretinoin? I have a lot of multi-vitamins but I'm not sure if I should take them. I will ask my derm about it and see what he has to say.

I haven't had any breakouts so far in my chin. I've been having them in my forehead and in between my eyebrows. So far so good. I wonder when the real initial breakout will start? I actually hoping this is it, but you never know!

Thanks for the best wishes. Let me know about your progress as well. :)

Take care

Day 8:

Hey,

Just got home after getting my bloodwork done. I hate needles! Just wanted to say that in here. I absolutely hate it. :mad:

The zit on my forehead has gotten bigger. I'm trying my best not to pay any attention to it. :) It will go away soon, right?

I went shopping yesterday. Spent around $200 in under 2 hours. Must be some kind of record. My debit card is getting a lot of exercises these days!

Another thing I've noticed is that I seem to get tired much quicker. Especially in the mornings when I wake up, I still feel like I haven't slept enough. It's worrying me a bit because I don't have the energy I used to and I get tired much quicker. :( And my mood seems to be always off.

Anyways, my skin isn't as oily as before. Woohoo Accutane! :razz:

Take care guys!

Hey! I'm doin' good, thanks. smile.gif How about you?

Thanks a million for the advice re: fiber intake and vitamin c. Do you think eating oranges might be benefitial as well? I'm not too fond of lime/lemon drinks. neutral.gif I haven't heard about Leo Kiesen's book, but I will go look for it and try to read what he has to say. So do you plan on continuing taking multi-vitamin tablets with your isotretinoin? I have a lot of multi-vitamins but I'm not sure if I should take them. I will ask my derm about it and see what he has to say.

I haven't had any breakouts so far in my chin. I've been having them in my forehead and in between my eyebrows. So far so good. I wonder when the real initial breakout will start? I actually hoping this is it, but you never know!

Thanks for the best wishes. Let me know about your progress as well. smile.gif

Take care

intake of fruits high in sugar (not just fruits, actually) must be minimized. when eating such fruits, take about only 2 servings a day. oranges are a lot higher in sugar compared to lemons & limes. any food that can potentially spike blood sugar level must be avoided or eaten in very small amount. that's what i can remember.

im taking the multivitamins until now. i havent really noticed anything negatively odd with my body ever since i started taking them. i also don't get depressed anymore, which i experienced in the first consecutive days on isotret. btw, herbal teas may also be good and they are best taken before going to bed to help you sleep (according to Leo as well).

breakouts on forehead you say? i've managed to keep the number of zits on my forehead to minimum by switching to the regular classic Head & Shoulders. i guess it was the zinc pyrithione in it that helped. the anti-dandruff Pantene was also fine with me (also had the same zinc content). i could really see the difference by simply switching from one shampoo to another. the lemon-scented Head & Shoulders here, however, caused me breakouts, probably because of the stronger fragrance.

initial breakout? hmmm...does it have to look so bad or far worse than before we started taking the drug? i kinda fear such stage...i can almost imagine myself feeling so depressed for not being able to go out because of really bad acne...i hope i've gone through it already.

btw, one more difference i've noticed on my face lately is that the black heads on my nose (especially on the bridge) are becoming so visible...i guess that's what my derm was talking about when she told me to come back two weeks after to get facial cleaning (to be performed by her). oh well...

Anyways, my skin isn't as oily as before. Woohoo Accutane! razz.gif

oh, yes! woohoo accutane! (after so many years....i thought i'd have to wait til im an old granny to experience longer hours before my face becomes an oil slick again!) :dance:

u take care of yourself too! :)

intake of fruits high in sugar (not just fruits, actually) must be minimized. when eating such fruits, take about only 2 servings a day. oranges are a lot higher in sugar compared to lemons & limes. any food that can potentially spike blood sugar level must be avoided or eaten in very small amount. that's what i can remember.

im taking the multivitamins until now. i havent really noticed anything negatively odd with my body ever since i started taking them. i also don't get depressed anymore, which i experienced in the first consecutive days on isotret. btw, herbal teas may also be good and they are best taken before going to bed to help you sleep (according to Leo as well).

breakouts on forehead you say? i've managed to keep the number of zits on my forehead to minimum by switching to the regular classic Head & Shoulders. i guess it was the zinc pyrithione in it that helped. the anti-dandruff Pantene was also fine with me (also had the same zinc content). i could really see the difference by simply switching from one shampoo to another. the lemon-scented Head & Shoulders here, however, caused me breakouts, probably because of the stronger fragrance.

initial breakout? hmmm...does it have to look so bad or far worse than before we started taking the drug? i kinda fear such stage...i can almost imagine myself feeling so depressed for not being able to go out because of really bad acne...i hope i've gone through it already.

btw, one more difference i've noticed on my face lately is that the black heads on my nose (especially on the bridge) are becoming so visible...i guess that's what my derm was talking about when she told me to come back two weeks after to get facial cleaning (to be performed by her). oh well...

Anyways, my skin isn't as oily as before. Woohoo Accutane! razz.gif

oh, yes! woohoo accutane! (after so many years....i thought i'd have to wait til im an old granny to experience longer hours before my face becomes an oil slick again!) :dance:

u take care of yourself too! :)

Hey!

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'm really benefiting from your advice man. Once thing I noticed is that my dandruff isn't as bad as before. I've been using this shampoo called Nizoral, which is supposed to help? It's seemed to have worked - so no complaints there. :)

What kind of facial cleansing does your derm do to clear your blackheads out? Have you tried it before?

How's your acne? Hope it's much better these days. :)

Take care!

Day 9

Hiya!

Nothing much to say. The zit in my forehead popped last night. :clap: Thank the lord, I just wanted that GONE. It was a sight for sore eyes. My face looked good today. It wasn't too oily. I bought a moisturizer last night (Olay Complete Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin) which I use before I go to bed. It felt nice to use. I hope I don't experience any bad breakouts using it.

For the lips I'm using more and more vaseline! It has really become my best friend. :)

Anyways, I hope all of you guys are fine. Take care!

Mark x

:)

What kind of facial cleansing does your derm do to clear your blackheads out? Have you tried it before?

How's your acne? Hope it's much better these days.

unfortunately, i missed my appointment this morning. yup, i just wasted my time travelling. anyway, im expecting the procedure of physical extraction (facial) with those tiny metal instruments (incuding injections) that they press upon (or prick) your face a thousand times (id been having these sessions with all the dermatologists id gone to)...they all hurt like hell...the first ones were the most painful ones i had ever experienced in my entire life (it was like spending an hour in a torture chamber!). they all drove me to practice crazy visualization techniques during the sessions just to keep my mind from minding the pain! :lol:

progress: no new big cysts, existing ones are drying. skin is less, less oily. excessive peeling on chin (hmm...may not be good)

Nothing much to say. The zit in my forehead popped last night. eusa_clap.gif Thank the lord, I just wanted that GONE. It was a sight for sore eyes. My face looked good today. It wasn't too oily.

i like it best when zits pop naturally! :D

hey, more luck to u!