Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am getting married June 2nd. In anticipation for the big day, I went on this regimen starting a week ago in hopes my skin would be completely clear by the wedding day. While I am noticing a clearing, I had to stop the regimen 3 days ago due to a LOT of drying and peeling. Right now my skin is soaking up moisturizer like a sponge. I have to keep re-applying it or else my face gets really tight and dry. I have obviously ceased using the BP for now (and yes i always applied moisturizer on top of it). My question...what do I do to get my skin back to "normal"? Should I do an exfoliation, or will that only irritate it more? I feel like the whole top layer of skin on my face needs to be peeled away.....i have a few at home micro-derm kits...should I give them a try? Or should I just continue slathering on moisturizer until the softness of my complexion returns? :cry:

I do want to say, i realize it was a dumb move to start any new regimen a month before my wedding...i do plan on giving this a try again AFTER the wedding with Dan's gel (i had been using Neutrogena's On The Spot). Having said that...someone please help!!

I wouldn't use any type of micro derm kits or scrubs. Your skin is inflammed from the bp. this is normal since the skin needs time to adjust. If you keep with it for a couple of weeks it should subside, or just wait until after your wedding if you are worried.

this may sound crazy, but if you purchase neutrogena tsal shampoo and use it as a cleanser and leave it on for about 3 min in the shower, it will help to dissolve the flakes. don't scrub though. Tsal has 3% salicylic acid in a basic cleanser formula originally for seborrhic dermatitis, dandruff and such. Don't use it everyday, just when you feel extra flakey. this was a suggestion brought to my attention by a derm -nurse for retin-a flaking. SA is also an anti-inflammatory, so it should help

Just remember to keep slathering on the moisturizer :)

Hi violeteyes,

If your skin is actually sore, personally I wouldn't exfoliate or use an abrasive product as that would probably make it worse. If not, then try a gentle exfoliant and slather on a richer moisturizer while your skin is still damp, so you hold the moisture in. I wouldn't try any other peeling product that you've not tried before, while your skin is in an irritated state.

You could try a mild AHA lotion if you know you're not sensitive to it, or something I've tried in the past is using Vitamin E oil as a moisturizer at night (sometimes with a layer of aha lotion on first). It's supposed to help heal red marks too.

Remember to stay out of the sun too, or use a sunscreen if you have no choice!

Good luck, and try not to worry :)

tootle

yea your moisturizer probly ucked for th edryness bp will cause(which is worse if yo ujust start all at once without ramping up the dosage) but its ok, you can use the bp but if you dont want to look kinda oily during your wedding dont start until after, because all the moistuziers that work to get rid of the really dry look bp causes will amek you kind of or really shinny,becasue they have something in them that just does that, i think its the sunblock but i dontknow forusre, i jus tno sunblock makes me hella shinny so yea..anyway just dont mess with your skin and just wash it gently twice a day and moisturize in the morning when i stopped the regimen when i was clear, the dryness went away in about alittle over 1 week, with the daily use of a moisturizer ;) good luck and congrats on the wedding!

If your skin is dry and irritated now I would just hold off on the bp. Just use a gentle cleanser and moisturize...that's all I do now and maybe a clay mask every other day. I'm a lot more clear and my skin tone is more even now that I don't use harse chemicals like bp and such. Good luck with everything and I agree with Let Love In, I'm sure you'll be gorgeous no matter what.