Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oubliette

Oubliette's Accutane Diary

So here I am, finally trying Accutane, started on April 25th, 2006. I weigh 105lbs and I'm taking 40mg per day. Birth control pills, monthly blood tests and dermatologist appointments are mandatory. Each month is costing me $106 Canadian (plus $25 for birth control), but I will be getting some back through my work insurance. I've started a gallery (linked in my profile).

I've been getting blackheads, whiteheads, and the oilies since I was 12 years old. I'm 29 now. So, even though my acne is mild, it has lingered far beyond the adolescent years. Enough is enough - I'm not going into my 30s with this "teenage" problem!!!

My acne is mild on my face and back, but what bothers me most is all the hyperpigmented marks I get. Bad combination of being a mix of Asian (prone to brown spots) and white (pale skin). My wardrobe is built around high-backed apparel because of my bacne. Going to the beach is embarrassing. My spotty back doesn't make me feel sexy.

17 years is a long time to experiment...

Early teens: Clearasil, Oxy, Sea Breeze

Mid-teens: Tetracycline, Retin-A, Spectra-Jel

Late-teens to early twenties: Tri-Cyclen birth control pills, various Clean & Clear and Neutrogena

Mid-twenties to late twenties: OTC salicylic acid treatments, OTC micro-dermabrasion, benzoyl peroxide (allergic, ouch!!), Dove bar soap

This is just what I can remember. I have tried practically everything over the counter. I've changed soaps, diets, wash schedules, etc. etc. Only at home micro-dermabrasion was mildly successful at smoothing and brightening my skin on old breakout locations.

I'm now on day 12 of Accutane. Skin and lips started to dry around day 5. Nothing major, but my skin is "dandruffy", itchy, easily irritated and reddened. Hair is dryer with an itchy scalp. I'm using Cetaphil cream to keep myself sane. A couple of small blood spots when blowing my nose. Eyes a bit puffy and dry first thing in the morning - I allow myself about 10 minutes before putting in my contacts and then they're fine for the rest of the day.

I just wanted to wish you good luck with 'tane. I'm starting in a week for mild, persistent acne as well, so I'll just be a little ways behind you. Keep us posted with your progress.

I just wanted to wish you good luck with 'tane. I'm starting in a week for mild, persistent acne as well, so I'll just be a little ways behind you. Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck to both of us!!

GOOD LUCK!!! Better late than never right? I get the puffy eyes and under it was starting to feel like sandpaper! but i bought cliniques all about eyes and i love love it! But anyways haha just wanted to drop by and say hiii ;)

GOOD LUCK!!! Better late than never right?

Hey! That's the name of my log!! :lol:

Hey Oubliette!!! Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to acne.org. I saw your pics in the gallery the other day. Looks like we have similiar bacne. I'm on day 25 myself and starting to see improvement, there's a link to my gallery in my sig. Like you said "we bacne girls have to unite" here's to beating the acne. Good luck to you. I'll be keeping up with your log. Jules ;)

Sounds like we are on the same boat:

almost 30

persistent mild acne

tried everything else

So far i have had good results, i just started my 3rd month on 60mg/day. Had the usual side effects, dry skin, lips, especially hair.

Just wanted to stop by and wish you luck!!

mac

Day 19

I'm lucky that I seem to have dodged the much-feared Intial Breakout. I have had a few whiteheads pop up on my chin, but they had super quick life spans. Like, they would appear, surface, and erupt all within 24 hours.

My face is getting drier, and much less oily. It's probably 75% less oily now. I used to go through about 4 or 5 of those Clean and Clean oil blotting sheets every work day -- and each time it'd be soaked with oil. Now I just do it once or twice during the day. No more oil slick in the morning either. I splash my face with water in the morning and only use cleanser at night.

The only skin makeup I feel like putting on these days is transluscent mineral powder (by Physician's Formula). I really dig this stuff! It's extremely gentle and smooth, and evens out the redness of my skin and fading acne scars. The coverage is light with a nice finish, no cakiness. All the old concealers and foundations look awful and sink into dry patches which is why I switched.

No change at all on my back. The skin back there feels smoother to the touch, but other than that, same level of breakouts.

Day 20

• blood tests are fine
  • dry face, lips, and scalp
  • dosage upped to 50mg/day

I went for my first monthly Accutance check-in today. Except it's actually before one month has passed because of a holiday next Monday. So after surviving the mayhem of this morning's community blood clinic, I got my test results back and all is good. I've been upped to 50mg per day and check back in five weeks from now.

Hooray for everything being good and an upped dosage! :clap: Sounds like things are going swimmingly which is wonderful! Keep up the good work!

Day 26

The redness and irritation on my face has lessened. I'm getting NO oil at all on my face or scalp. That is so freaky because I've been oily since my pre-teen years. And my hair never needs washing! Okay, maybe every few days but still!

Still getting small breakouts on my chin but they surface fast then dry up and flake away. No new breakouts on my back.

Day 48

Face has balanced out a bit, no oil but not the peeling Sahara either. I only use concealer on my undereyes and mineral powder to even out the redness. My nose has purged most of its blackheads!!! It looks weird that I have so many freckles that were being obscured before by clogged pores. I can actually begin to see what my real skin looks like.

My back, my main problem area, has sadly not changed much. I went weeks without flareups, but I have a bunch of new red spots. All the leftover hyperpigmented spots are hanging around and will not fade.

I'm back up to washing my hair twice a week, with dandruff shampoo to control the flakies. Getting itchy dry patches on my chest and arms. I was freaking one day when I had some peeling between my ring and pinkie fingers! Yuk!