Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cleardream

Extremely frustrated

I'm clear, or almost there, but I continue to have this orangey/brown "tan" on only the parts of my face that I'm treating w/the CSR. This is different from "redness." Also, it is not an actual tan, as I have had no sun exposure.

So far I have only had 2 other people tell me that they have this problem. Are we 3 in the extreme minority here? Anyone else have this problem?

It'd be really depressing if I had to choose between a horrible complexion due to pimples, vs. a horrible complexion due to some uncontrollable orange/brown tint. It basically looks like I went crazy with the self-tanner (but only on my upper lip and chin).

I stopped the Reg for 5 days (at end of Week 3). Tan disappeared. Started back up again 5 days later (2 days ago). The tan came back.

What's more, I'm so embarrassed by this (it's definitely noticeable) that I want to go out and get makeup to hide it. But then if I start breaking out, I won't know it's the Reg failing, or the makeup. But I can't walk around like this much longer! It really makes me look like a freak.

A few weeks ago, when I started the Regimen and it was working, I got all excited and told everybody about it. Now I don't know what to do, and feeling hopeless.

hi brandy,

thanks for replying. the following is my regimen:

MORNING

*wash very gently in shower with Purpose liquid cleanser

*wait 10-15 min, then apply a pea-sized portion of dan's BP gel (i only added morning BP at the beginning of week 3).

*wait another 15 or so... then apply a generous amount of EITHER Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive or Neutrogena Oil-Free SPF 15, to entire face (not just BP parts).

NIGHT

*wash very gently with Purpose liquid cleanser

*wait 10-15 min, then apply about 1/2 a finger of dan's BP gel. (i only need it for chin + area around mouth....).

*wait about 15 more minutes... then apply very generous amount of Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive.

i have not worn makeup while on the Regimen, or used any other products on my face. i really try to follow the Regimen exactly.

in case it matters, i have the "new" version of dan's gel, exp. date is in 2008.

the most difficult thing is that i feel like i'm the only one going thru this. (or in a teeny minority...)

well the beginnign of the regimen can be very frustrating (if u see my posts) but i think u gotta try and stick it

out and if a product does that to u then change it up..

I've noticed with a few people, you get what seems like a burn type effect. Like when you get a sunburn, then a day or two later that burned area turns brown and then eventually flakes off.

Be sure to start out with only a tiny amount of bp, and very slowly and gradually increase the dosage so your skin has time to adjust.

I'm thinking if you could add in a bit of AHA to exfoliate off the brown areas, that might help. But not too strong of an AHA, that could actually make the problem worse.

thanks for the suggestions, brandy.

well, i did ramp the BP up slowly the first time, and it still became discolored...

i just bought the eucerin skin renewal to try, so i'll see if that makes a difference, but honestly, the "tan" really doesn't appear to be on the surface of the skin. it is the actual skin that is discolored. plus, my skin isn't dry or flaky, so i don't think there's anything extra there that would come off via exfoliation.

brandy, these other people you know with this problem -- do you know if AHA worked for them? did the problem ever go away while on the Regimen, or did they end up quitting b/c they just couldnt stand it anymore? :wall: do you know any of their usernames, so i could talk to them?

ohhhh i just want my non-orange skin back :(:pray:

Theres another thread here with someone talking about the same problem.

TO be honest Ive never heard of it before, it seems like a very rare reaction.

I dont think moisturizer fixes it though?

Theres another thread here with someone talking about the same problem.

TO be honest Ive never heard of it before, it seems like a very rare reaction.

I dont think moisturizer fixes it though?

I think moisturizer actually causes it, or rather some unknown ingredient in certain moisturizers. That's what it seems like to me. More moisturizer might not help, but switching moisturizers probably would.

thanks for your replies, guys --

yeah, i think the "other thread" you're referring to was me responding to a girl named katherine about this same problem, in the "Gel" section of the board.

this is so weird and disturbing. so maybe it's a chemical reaction between the BP and the moisturizer? what's bizarre to me is that this exact same thing happened to me several years ago when i attempted using Proactiv. except that i wasn't using Neutrogena moisturizer then.

so could it just be the BP + my particular skin = orange? god, i hope not...!

hahahahah i just noticed something: this guy :( is orange TOO! that is clearly why he is so depressed! lol

ok, now, enough of that -- somebody take mr. orange depressed prop guy away. it's too much like looking in a mirror... :lol:

Hey,

I also get the "tanning" effect. But it's not that noticeable. I apply BP to my entire face so it's like I've got a nice skin tone... I like it, it actually makes any redmarks seem less noticeable.

^ yea, I think this "tan" look is probably more noticeable on those who only treat a portion of their face. But Dan's face looks all uniform in color, and I know he only uses the Regimen on one portion.

I can't help but wonder if some people's skin just reacts that way, or your body chemistry reacts with the meds or something.

Either that or just chronically dry skin that needs some major moisturization.

if its on the part of your skin where you use bp i know what you are talking about i used it all over and on my timples and forhead where it was as dry as the desert it was brown lol i didn't ramp up thats why though

hmm... now i'm more confused than ever! some people say it's due to too much BP. some say it's due to not enough BP. some say it's due to overmoisturizing or using the wrong moisturizer. some say it's due to not using enough moisturizer.

i definitely don't like the "tan" though... i guess it would look alright if you like that look, or if you use the Regimen on your whole face. it looks really strange on my face, given that i naturally have a SUPER-fair complexion, and also that i only use the Regimen on the lower half of my face. so there's this ridiculous contrast between my chin (light orange/brown) & my neck (white).

at this point i think you're right, brandy -- that it's a reaction of the BP and body chemisty. i'm feeling like no matter what i do, i'm going be affected by the discoloration. i'm wondering if it just comes down to the fact that i have very light, and very senstive, skin. i guess if i want to continue w/the Reg, only thing i can do is to experiment on the off chance that things will eventually lighten up. but i think that some of the brown shading is actually permanent -- residual from when this happened withe the Proactiv. so now i'm afraid that upping the BP (as in, staying w/the Reg, and ultimately ramping up to dan's recommended amount) will only make things worse. and possibly permanently worse.

i want to thank you all for your replies to my post. it's nice knowing a couple more people have experienced this phenomenon too. it's hard though, cuz while i really do appreciate the advice & suggestions, i'm still feeling frustrated/hopeless about ever being able to look like a normal human being without painting on the look of "normal" with makeup.

Hmm. I've noticed that my face has gotten a "tan" look to it since starting the Regimen -- not a big problem for me, because I'm 3/4 Eastern European, so it looks normal. But I have noticed that Dan's BP bleaches things mostly orange (sink, shirts, hoodies, pillows, clothes, towels) -- that's probably what's happened to both of our faces.

Sooooo, not to crap on you or anything, but I think it may be unavoidable.

edit: I saw the other thread about this subject -- I hope you find some resolution!

I feel you on this i noticed my face getting darker to .. i was using the BP Gel like everyone else .. (it was ZapZit) .. i stopped using it bc it made me so dry and the skin discolorations. I switched to Clearasil BP Cream and that was fien i didnt get a an orangey face but it did nothing for pimples hardly dryed them up ... now i use this BP Gel i got form the dollar store .. it drys my acne up super fast liekl notceably over night and for a dollar why not! Plus no discoloration also i must say this is kinda Gridy like when u do ther aspiring mask it has grains like that in it plus the white ge l .. anyone know why?

I think the reason why our skin turn orangey isnt due to moisturizers etc bc i do not use any of the ones Dan has listed .. but all these BP products i have nopticed have different ingredients and i am guessing that one of them is ther culprit to our orangey skin and it msut reatc with our skin soemhow. I doubt it has to do as to wther ur skin is fair i juss think if ur fair i shows up more .. my skin isnt fair in the winter i am well light but my skin is darker than some ppl liek elts say my boyfriend who si 100% irish hence putre white skin lol .. but in the sumemr it na without a problem hardly a sunburn .. so that cant b the reason.

P.S. my orangey skin is gone now. if i ahevnt already stated that

FieryLove,

I know we've talked before. I really think part of your situation is due to the overuse of drying products. Plus, I'd bet the store bp you are using is stronger than 2.5%.

i dont use any drying products on my face . .i hardly use BP and that i guess would be the only drying thing on y face as for the SA astringent thats only for my back and chest .. the Witch Hazel sitn drying at all infatc it doesnt remove any antural oils and my cloeanser is made to mositurize your face. The noly thing i cansee that drying is the AHA that i said only use when i miss a day of jess folaition which is practically never pull AHA is emant to remove dry skin and flakes .. and the aloe doesnt dry me out at ALL. Yes it is stronger than 2.5% but that doesnt make a different bc other ppl using 2.5% have an orangey face like i siad before it is an ingredient in the BP that is causing soem ppl to ahve orangey skin and most BP products have different ingredients.

I am sry if this sounds rude .. i am jsus sick of ppl; tlelign me what u sue is drying blah blah yet i stay away from everything dry except BOP which i dotn use much any mroe and i only use it as a spor treatment.

Im getting that now, like people are saying to me "wow your tan!"...just today this happend, I think the neutro moisture is stinging and irratating my skin, im going to switch tonight and see whats what.

idk what it is it only happened to em once with one type of BP then is witch to cleasasil and it didnt get thet ornagey face anymore and it went away in a few days.

I use the Neutrogena moisturizer and this happens to me too sometimes. Very erradic from what I've seen, but lately it's been a bit worse.

I'm going to the store though tomorrow to pick up something new - either Neutro w/ AHA (I'm a bad popper :doh: and the red marks suck) or Cetaphil or something new and see what happens.

dont buy cetaphil .. if u do buy the moisturizing cream .. i would try eucerin instead .. the cetaphil lotion for face says NON-GREASY right on it well when i put it no my face omg i have never felt so greasy .. and it doesnt absorb and holy shit if it gets in ur eye like the slightest bit ur eye will burn for quite a while ..lol i wouldnt buy it again.

i didnt'n read this whole thing, but dan or someone else mentioned once that an organge colouration can occur when a certain moisturizer is missed with the bp. try the search button and see if u can find it.

I'm one of the people that reported having this "coloration" effect, but I also noticed it was really noticable mostly around my mouth. But I have to say lately it has really faded. I'm thinking my skin just needed to get used to the products. Also, I dont use much bp anymore, maybe once a day or once every other day.