Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
passthejonch

John's accutane journal

DAY 1

17, male.

My derm prescribed me accutane yesterday and I took my first pill today. He initially said that I needed it and that it would be the only thing that would cure me then he wasn't so sure if I should go on it or not because he said it was improving, but yea it'll end up getting twice as bad teh following week and I didn't want to waste my time with anything else.

I am 17 years old and I will going to college in september. I have VERY oily skin. I started to get pimples in my junior year in high school. Started mildly and it has now spread all over my neck where it is the worst. I have a lot of acne on my cheek (the left side is significantly worse), and on my temples. My forehead seems to have gotten better, but old acne has taken it's toll. It looks like a ravaged battlefield after an intense fight. My nose has very large pores and you can see the all the oil this factory produces under some light. All this oil could probably produce enough electricity to light a city. Oil is also present on my chin and on the jaw line. When the acne started to real bad, I would notice rude comments from people including a friend's mom who pointed at my face and laughed. She didn't mean it in a bad way and it didn't hurt too bad, but it still made me self-conscious.

Going into college with all this acne seems very daunting. I mean college itself is bad enough, but making new friends with my low self-esteem in addition to my acne will be especially difficult in my opinion. To top it all off, if I do face all the negative side effects of this drug, I will have a spike in acne and all that red flushing, thus making my face look exponentially worse looking.

I took the pill two hours ago, but I am just now beginning to notice the dry lips...very mild though, i imagine it will get much worse-- better go buy some chapstick. The pill is an orange capsule. 40 mg a day. I wash my face with the Neutrogena bar for acne prone skin. I noticed that my skin is best when I don't apply too much product on it, so I'm keeping it simple.

I also have some mild acne on my chest and on my shoulders. I don't have much on my back and I have a few on the back of my neck. I guess the good thing about accutane is that it will also deal with those parts of the body as well as opposed topical solutions that I would only apply on my face.

My pimples have become so engrained as part of my image that I can't help but feel ugly when I look in the mirror. My ugliness doesn't even seem to be coming from the acne anymore. I've added a bit of chub since the start of the summer, too, to make matters worse.

Oh yea, and last night, I couldn't help but to constantly rub my acne all over. Some areas sting when I touch them.

I am absolutely sick of acne and there are times when I want to cry. I can only hope that accutane will work for me. Nothing else has. It's my last resort.

Day 2

I just popped my second pill a few hours ago. So far, I don't feel any side effects. It seems that the dry lips I thought I had were just in my head. I had my second pill with a bowl of apple jacks. There's nothing more to say than I have about 3 cysts on my neck and about 2 on my cheek.

Day 3

Just popped my third pill. I don't seem to be experiencing any side effects. I think I am having chapped lips, but it doesn't feel much different than before.

My acne has stayed relatively the same.

Day 7

Seems like this is the end of my 1st week! Still no bothersome side effects, or effects at all for that matter. Except for dry lips which is very mild. I still have an oily face, but slightly less oily than before, but that might still be in my head. I've been having this slight pain in my right wrist, but I've had pains like that before, but I'm not sure if it's because of the accutane. My derm did say blood circulation would be somewhat inhibited by the thickening of the blood due to accutane.

A small price to pay and it really isn't too bad. I'm sure it'll get better once I'm off.

I am just beginning to notice my initial breakout. I haven't looked in the mirror for a while, so when I finally did today, I noticed that I had a lot more acne than i used to.

Day 9

Wow, a lot has changed. For one thing, my lips are uber chapped right now. Especially in between the upper lip and lower lip so if I open my mouth wide, it cracks and it hurts. I'm totally addicted to blistex.

Also, I'm breaking out more. Especially the neck area and the chin area where the most serious of my acne problem seems to be. When I wash my face, I can feel more bumps even though I'm too petrified to look in the mirror.

Try moving away for the Nuetrogena "acne pron skin" bar, I used it also, it's just another salycilic acid product, try using nuetrogena clear skin wash/mask, it's a BP based product, work alot better.... I think you have sensitive skin like me, so it much better on your face...

For sum reason the Nuetrogena "acne pron skin" bar made me break out, or redden my face, or just dried it out, little of everything actually, so after about 2 weeks, I ditched the bar, and went to the Clear Skin...

Day 11

OW. The crease between my upper lip and my lower lip hurts like hell. I can't even eat a damn peach without slicing it up into pieces because it requires opening my mouth real wide. I just quit putting vaseline on my lips because it leaves this grimy residue so I think I'll just leave it be and drink water throughout the day to moisten my lips.

I also can't help but to touch my face. My face has become bumpier, kinda like a gravel road, and it feels, well, interesting.

I just want to get my braces off and my face clear. I would do anything.

Other than those two minor things, I have not felt any other side effects. Maybe a little skin peeling, but it's to such a minute degree that it's dismissable.

Oh yea, and I did quit using the Neutrogena bar and I'm just using Cetaphil face cleanser.

Hang in there passthejonch. Clear skin is right around the corner! And...I suggest you stick with using some sort of moisturizer for your lips. If they crack (which they will most likely do without something on them), they could easily become infected. That leads to way more serious problems. I know how Vaseline feels a bit grimy, but trust me, it's the best thing to use on your lips while on Accutane!

Anyway, keep your head up! :(

Day 16 (Week 3)

My acne has gotten considerably worse. Slathering lip balm has made my lips considerably better, but my acne = :D

I have had a big cyst on my forehead which bled after I took a shower. It's just that it seems every single pore on my face seems to be coming out. Oh God, when will this end and when will my face start getting clearer. Dammit.

My scalp has gotten VERY flaky. Lots and lots of dandruff. And my face is starting to get flaky too.

Augh my 3rd week is almost up and my face is covered with more pimples than ever before. On my neck are these giant bumps (not acne) under my skin. ARghhhghhgh when will the initial breakouts end and someimtes i worry thsi is permanent. God will I ever see clear skin ever again??????

i got nosebleeds, but i dont know if it was because of the accutane. oh well.

I really really hope this starts working soon.

im still on 40 mg a day, after the 30 day mark, i will be on 60 mg a day