Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dermatologists are highly educated men who know your skin better than you do. What do you think they learn in medical school? All the advice they give and products they prescribe have been carefully researched. If your dermatologist's regime didn't work for you, then maybe you didn't do as he instructed. Dermatologists don't realize that their instructions are not that easy for the average patient to understand. Do not do anything except what your dermatologist recommended. If you did something different from what he told you, then this also could be the cause of your acne.

Don't trust what nurses say. They are not medical doctors and are not adequately trained to offer advice. Often times they think too highly of themselves and start giving uneducated advice to anyone who is willing to listen. Above all, don't listen to what posters on this message board say. Most, if not all, are not medical doctors.

Good luck!! And remember, stop touching your face with those dirty paws! That's what my dad says and he's a dermatologist :D . Love ya, dad

Hmmm...."Above all, don't listen to what posters on this message board say." So, I guess we shouldn't listen to you either. Ironic?

A portion of people here are because derms have failed. I know the couple I had did very little to help and I had to figure things out for myself with a lot of help from this message board.

I also disagree about a derm knowing more about my skin than I do...I feel it's the other way around. I am with my skin 24 hours a day. My old Derms looked at me for 15 seconds max and crapped out a prescription....maybe they were just that damn good they barely needed to look at my skin let alone inspect it. Looking back, much of the stuff they gave me was just flat out stupid and wrong and I wish I knew better back then, but I didn't. Oh well.

Mrs. Jenkins, should I trust my derm who refuses to give me Accutane time and time again, and only pushes irritating topicals and antibiotics my way. I have several drug allergies. I'm allergic to all cyclins, all sufla drugs, Keflex, and Cipro. I get hives from Zirthromax (so macrolides may be questonable as well).....I can only tolerate penicillin and it's deravitives.....

So my derm wrote me an Rx for doryx at my first appt......not realizing they I said I was allergic to tetracycline.....doryx is dioxycycline....another tetracycline........I had to remind him that a even though dioxycycline is an analouge of tetracyclin (and still a tetracycline)....it's best not to risk a life threatening drug reaction......

So a month later I go back...I'm not bad enough for Accutane at this point but I'm fat from clear and I have a cyst.....He injects tyhe cyst......and ups the streght of my retin-a micro to 0.10%.......and tried to give me an Rx for Rosula clenaser.......which contains sodium sulfacetamide.....a sulfa drug (I have no idea why I knew that.....the "sul" part of Rosula mase me thing of sulfur.....I said I'm alleric to sulfa drugs.....He responded.....it's okay it's only topical.....it's not like you injest it or anything......well duh.... :wall: but it comes into contact with mucous membranes (lips eyes) during rinsing........I said that one isn't a good idea either.....

So I go back the next month.....with another cyst.......this time I get an Rx for Minocycline....... :rolleyes:

I didn't even fight with him about it.......I just tok the script....and called the office saying my skin was peeling off.....I had a rash and a fever......and I was dizzy....... :evil:

My derm got the point......and told me to not take it anymore (duh.... :wall: ) and gave me an Rx for erythromycin.....which I never took since I don't want a 6 month long yeast infection..........and I need a few antibiotics to choose from in case my Lymes curse comes back or I get an acute infection.......

So should I really trust my derm?.....when I know more then he does.....

My dad says that drug allergies and allergies in general are incredibly rare. People will often get a rash and falsely attribute it to their medication. Some patients can be hypochondriacs, constantly complaining of this disorder that they read about in a magazine and now they think they have it. I'm not saying that this is true for you, but you never know. A fever, for example could easily be caused by influenza.

Doctors have to take calculated risks. With all the allergies you think you have, is it even wise to take Accutane? If something happens, you'll blame your dermatologist. Remember, he isn't the bad guy, only acne is. Dermatologists are good guys :D .

But many people have gone to Derms that do not care. The one Derm I went to always overbooked. A 1:15 appoitment would have 2-3 patients and it would be like that all day. He would see you for 30-45 secs and be on his way.

He was little more than a prescription vending machine. Insert co-pay here and receive ineffective, thoughtless prescription. My only regret was that I trusted him. He's a doctor. He has to know what he is doing, right?

My derms did more harm than good. Gave me ineffective minocycline, that when discontinued, made my acne come back worse and resulted in candida ( I had pretty bad oral thrush along with many other symptoms).

My dad says that drug allergies and allergies in general are incredibly rare. People will often get a rash and falsely attribute it to their medication. Some patients can be hypochondriacs, constantly complaining of this disorder that they read about in a magazine and now they think they have it. I'm not saying that this is true for you, but you never know. A fever, for example could easily be caused by influenza.

Doctors have to take calculated risks. With all the allergies you think you have, is it even wise to take Accutane? If something happens, you'll blame your dermatologist. Remember, he isn't the bad guy, only acne is. Dermatologists are good guys :D .

Mrs. Jenkins. I was hospitalized for three weeks when I was six because I almost died due to a reaction to a sulfa drug. When I was 11 I was prescribed dioxycycline for Lymes. My skin began peeling off in sheets revealing oozing raw dermal tissue beneath.....my epidemis seperated from my dermis.....it was confined mostly to my stomach, back, and chest...... I went into anaphalactic shock the next day....and was again hospitalized.......All in my head, huh???

I got bad hives from taking Kephlex (don't remember for what).....and when I took Cipro for Lymes again when I was 18.....I had severe hives all over my body and I was all hot and dizzy.....I had a shot of ephedrine which made it all better.......

Why do I think Accutane is okay?? I already have it in my body....we all do.....it's a "natural" metablolite of Vitamin A....(the kind that's prescribed is synthetic....but the same molecule nonetheless).....if I were allergic to it....I'd be sensitive to foods rich in Vitamin A.....

Do I think my derm is a bad guy....no....he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed....that's all.........

I know my allergies are rare (my dad's in the medical field too....in research). My baby sis has them too.......Poor kid is also allergic to BP.....and penicillin....but not to cyclins......

I'm the one in that 0.1% that they have to actually wory about.......

LOL. I'm not sure how much stock you should put in Mrs. Jenkins' advice, considering SHE CLEARED HER ACNE VIA DIET :razz:

'Mrs Jenkins' date='May 3 2006, 06:04 PM' post='1115414'

If your dermatologist's regime didn't work for you, then maybe you didn't do as he instructed. Dermatologists don't realize that their instructions are not that easy for the average patient to understand.

If they're so educated and helpful, why can't they understand that their instructions are not that easy for the average patient to understand? It sounds to me like that's a common excuse by derms as to why very few patients put their acne into remission with the 'first line of defense' drugs they toss our way. I don't think it's the patient who is messing up the instructions. If it were really that big of an issue, I'd think derms would be a bit more diligent about making SURE we understand the instructions. Training seminars continuing education ETC. I don't think that's the case. I think the instructions themselves are faulty. My theory is somewhat different than yours. It's not the patient who screws things up. It's the protocol that all dermatologists prescribe by-they give you oral antibiotics and topical agents for as long as possible, knowing full well that up to 80% of the population is already immune to these drugs. It's true-that's why most of them never work for any of us. Then the patient winds up drying and irritating their skin more. Which results in worse acne, cystic acne, and imo hypersebhorrea.

My derms have been useless. Worse than useless, actually-the one I saw as a teen prescribed me so many antibiotics that I basically od'd and developed a severe, lifelong candida infection as a result of killing all the good bacteria. Now I have a sugar and carbohydrate allergy, so if I eat those things I become severely itchy. And the antibiotics didn't do anything for my acne.

Do not do anything except what your dermatologist recommended. If you did something different from what he told you, then this also could be the cause of your acne.

:eh:

You go to the derm because you have acne. You don't develop acne as a result of not following his instructions to the letter. I would however say that it's very likely the prescriptions they give you make MILD acne much worse without alleviating it. Saying that this is the patient's fault, and blaming the acne on patients not following the instructions? :hand: Shame on them.

Above all, don't listen to what posters on this message board say.

Noted.

Oh and one more thing. I'm 25 years old and I've been seeing derms since I was 11. I've been told that my acne is something uncontrollable. That some people are just born to have acne, and "Jessica, you are one of those people." I've been "assurred" that I'd have acne until I was in my 40's, and probably oily skin too. This was all based on my skin and the fact that none of the damn drugs they gave me ever helped. That same defeated attitude can be seen on websites listing the "facts" of acne-such as "there is no cure for acne" and "they don't know exactly what causes acne" and "they don't know exactly why people get acne"

I managed to clear my acne, red marks, blackheads, oily skin, and indented scarring without any help from a dermatologist. I will even be so bold as to say that I think Dermatology should be a much more tightly regulated industry. I think it is far from a noble profession. the blind leading the blind.

I resent that!!! i'm a student nurse and i know a damn lot about acne as i'm a sufferer. My nurse at the clinic i go to is fabulous and does as good a job as the doc but just can't write the script. QUIT GENERALIZING!!

i'm very offended

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I find this thread offensive. As the daughter of a Dermatologist i'd assume that you could actually give alot to this site, but evidently you're just some opinionated brat that's been listening to her conservative douche bag of a Father far too long!

DON'T trust DERMS

(at least for curing/eliminating acne)

Dermatologists are book-knowledged, and many have not had acne problems, so they are limited to the shit the know about acne through textbooks.

We are acne-sufferers, and have experienced acne. We know more about ourselves then the derms, so unless you keep listenting to derms and following their prescriptions, then you won't be able to eliminate acne.

I "cured" my acne problems by analyzing, and experimenting on my own self, because everything the doctor and the derms prescribed failed.

I learned through experience, and after 5+ years of suffering, I found out the "curing" technique through myself.

Read my thread called "A new light for all of us" somewhere around here if you want more answers.

Good luck, and have fun

Dermatologists are highly educated men who know your skin better than you do. What do you think they learn in medical school? All the advice they give and products they prescribe have been carefully researched. If your dermatologist's regime didn't work for you, then maybe you didn't do as he instructed. Dermatologists don't realize that their instructions are not that easy for the average patient to understand. Do not do anything except what your dermatologist recommended. If you did something different from what he told you, then this also could be the cause of your acne.

Don't trust what nurses say. They are not medical doctors and are not adequately trained to offer advice. Often times they think too highly of themselves and start giving uneducated advice to anyone who is willing to listen. Above all, don't listen to what posters on this message board say. Most, if not all, are not medical doctors.

Are you delibrately trying to offend people!? :mad:

Are you delibrately trying to offend people!? :mad:

At first I though this post my have just been a cynical joke.....but I think Mrs. Jenkins was serious.....I was a little offened because if I trusted my derm I could have been really really sick (or worse). This is not to say that there are not some brilliant derms out there........If my derm was half as knowledgeable or compassionate as my gyno......I would have been put on tane last summer.....it was my gyno who suggested in the frsst place.....and no, not to just make money off me for the birth control Rx......

My derm specifically is an idiot......If Dr. albert Kligman was my derm, I'm sure I'd feel differently.......

Maybe she made that post after talking to her father about why acne is so hard to contol.....if my dad were a dserm I'd pick his brain all day and read all his old medical school books.....ask him what he learned at his continuing education coruses.......

I wouldn't come on here and say that all of us acne sufferers are idiots because we don't trust our derms.....I don't trust auto mechanics as a general rule.......same thing goes for doctors unless they prove otherwize (and some have).........

Oh and derms can't cure acne yet (well last time I checked).....

Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat. Obviously my dad knows more about this than I do, but good hygiene is always at the cornerstone of a good acne treatment. As far as I know, he has had complete success with most of his patients. Like I wrote previously, if my father's treatment isn't working it is because of failure to follow his orders. One patient didn't like the side effects of her Retin-A Micro cream so she started applying it just once a week. Well, duh, of course her acne wasn't going to clear doing that. Another patient admitted to my dad that he was just too lazy to follow through with all the necessary steps before bed. These are typical examples. Some people are impatient and then start trying to treat themselves. Little do they know that their homemade cures take longer and are based on the same principles as prescription medications anyway. Plus, without the guidance of a medical doctor, you are always putting yourself at risk. Short term results don't negate the future long term consequences. If a dermatologist holds out on prescribing Accutane, this is only to protect the patient from unnecessary side effects. He is only protecting you and has your best interest in mind.

I am currently experimenting with the link between diet and acne, but until research can prove a link, there is no way that my father would ever advise his patients to alter their diet. He respects the scientific method as do I.

I agree with LabGirl. Don't take anyone's word for anything, especially your doctor's/derm's.

I am currently experimenting with the link between diet and acne, but until research can prove a link, there is no way that my father would ever advise his patients to alter their diet.

Mrs Jenkins is starting to make me mad!!!! :mad:

Hygiene has nothing to do with it!! I am obsessed with hygiene and still have acne! And if it wasn't difficult to treat then we'd all be clear wouldn't we!? And 2 examples hardly cover the population of the entire world. Don't generalise!!! :evil:

Mrs. Jenkins needs to remember that not everybody has access to a dermatologist. Not everyone has medical insurance. And even if they do, a good derm is a rare find. I was lucky, I had 2 derms that were wonderful and I really loved them. But at this stage in my life, I know how to keep my skin under control without a derms assistance, thanks in part to this website.

Besides, not all cases of acne need a dermatologist. Most people with mild acne can use store products to keep it under control. Just as we all don't run off to our family practitioner whenever we have a sniffle or a cold, most people with mild acne don't require a dermatologist.

Good luck!! And remember, stop touching your face with those dirty paws! That's what my dad says and he's a dermatologist :D . Love ya, dad

you must have great skin then if your dad's a derm eh?

this is preposturous!!!

derms go to freaking SCHOOL for this stuff, why on earth would you not trust your derm? I'm going to be going to one soon if B5 doesn't work for me....it's their profession for crying out loud, they get payed to do it!!!

That is what's wrong with people these days. Overgeneralizing. Just because one medicine did'nt work for you does'nt mean you have to diss other products that may or may not work for other people just because of your experience of it being useless. It's like we have all these products around in the market but why is it that of all the things that could cure acne and yet we all don't have a single solution for one problem.

It's because every acne suferer is different, every skin condition is different, there are even different types of acne that could affect your face, different types of acne that may be considred severe to moderate but most of all there are different medicines that could cure one's acne; antibiotics, natural methods, creams, lotions, solutions and etc...

This is also applicable to one's derma, you can never conclude that all dermatologist cannot be trusted just because your dermatologist was or is horrible on the wrong side of the track with your condition. I have been with a dermatologist who like already ripped $5000 worth of treatments out of me and I stopped because no result ever came to hand. I even stumbled upon a derma who told me to buy these sort of products that already costs $1000 dollars without even seeing my condition. I have been to a derma who is always never there when it came to routinely checkups. I have also stumbled upon a derma who told me that my situation is hopeless. And lastly I have my latest derma whom I even have more knowledge when it comes to her proffesion but the thing is... She listens...

Like that vit. B5 regimen. Why would a proffesional dermatologist waste her time on a patient who told her that there is another alternative for accutane wherein she is earning so much with the said treatment and accutane is a stated fact for the clearing of acne. But still, she researched it and gave it a thorough examination and told me that there is a possibility that it could work for some of her patients that have mild acne. I am actually surprised that she praised me that without me giving that knowledge she would have never knew that such study exists.

I don't know with some people who had bad experiences with their derma but now that I think I've gotten past the worst derma ever around, at least in some way I have found a person who listens to my situation. She may not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to my skin but she sure is the best person to give me guidance when it comes to curing my acne.

I think she also registered in this forum since I told her that this is the place I got all the info I need about acne and she was so supportive of me browsing through. Everytime I enter her clnique it's as if she is a priest in a confessional booth with me confessing everything about my acne and her listening to my rantings and giving me advice...

Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat. Obviously my dad knows more about this than I do, but good hygiene is always at the cornerstone of a good acne treatment. As far as I know, he has had complete success with most of his patients. Like I wrote previously, if my father's treatment isn't working it is because of failure to follow his orders. One patient didn't like the side effects of her Retin-A Micro cream so she started applying it just once a week. Well, duh, of course her acne wasn't going to clear doing that. Another patient admitted to my dad that he was just too lazy to follow through with all the necessary steps before bed. These are typical examples. Some people are impatient and then start trying to treat themselves. Little do they know that their homemade cures take longer and are based on the same principles as prescription medications anyway. Plus, without the guidance of a medical doctor, you are always putting yourself at risk. Short term results don't negate the future long term consequences. If a dermatologist holds out on prescribing Accutane, this is only to protect the patient from unnecessary side effects. He is only protecting you and has your best interest in mind.

I am currently experimenting with the link between diet and acne, but until research can prove a link, there is no way that my father would ever advise his patients to alter their diet. He respects the scientific method as do I.

Are you some kind of troll Mrs. Jenkins? If your trying to help your not. Acne is not an easy disorder to control or treat. Just because you grew out of your or contolled it with your diet or whatever, and you don't have it now.....you can't say "Acne is not hard to control nor is it difficult to treat." You can't say my acne is caused by a lack of hygine or laziness. I'm not lazy and I can easily read a prescription insert and listen to my doctor, although he never even explained how to use anything......he didn't tell me not to use retin-a during the day, or to not get waxed on it (that I just knew for myself). I got no instructions........

Your dad (if he really is a derm) must see tons of patients that are total morons and apply a treatment incorrectly or use too much or too little and have undesirable results. But many of us here have read up and know a little more about acne than the common person. I'd be safe to say I know more about it than my derm does.......... he didn't even know who Albert Kligman is.......

My derm is holding out on Accutane because he thinks I'll grow out of it before I finish highschool. I instruct him to look at my chart and find my date of birth (9/30/81). He was astounded and said "OMG!!! You look like a kid!!!.....I could have sworn you said you went to South (local highschool)"....you can't be 23!!"...right underneath my date of birth was my drug allergies listed in big bold black letters......

He is really holding out on it because he's wooried that if I get preggers then his ass is on the line......he's young and inexperienced and just plain scared.......

When he asked me why I don't wear makeup he then suggested that I try an Almay makeup...because it's hypoallergenic , non-comedogenic and has Vitamins A, E, C and Aloe and Chamomile. I resonded..."I formulated that makeup. I work for them. I know exactly how much Vitamins A, E, C and Aloe and Chamomile is in that product.....because I put it there......all are less than it's less than 0.05% concentration and do jack shit."

He thinks I'm a difficult patient....and maybe I am.......

I trust my derm to take his little Rx pad and write me prescriptions that I request. If I left him to his own devices he'd make a mess of my skin and possibly give me a deadly reaction........the trust goes no deeper than that.......

Beware of derms that sell their own lines of products to you and insist that you won't clear up without them......

One that comes to mind is Dr. Murad.....who had some lab formulate the most irritating, ineffective, poorly formulated anti-acne system on the market.........and is now sitting on a small fortune......

this is preposturous!!!

derms go to freaking SCHOOL for this stuff, why on earth would you not trust your derm? I'm going to be going to one soon if B5 doesn't work for me....it's their profession for crying out loud, they get payed to do it!!!

Exactly! You have a good head on your shoulders. Once your dermatologist clears your skin, you can move on to bigger and better things. Who knows? Maybe medical school is in you future :D .

Cheers, Mrs. Jenkins

Mrs. Jenkins,

If your dad's a derm, and you advise us to only trust our derms, why don't you trust your dad (or some other derm) who says diet and acne are not connected??? :think:

If you derm was so trustworthy wouldn't you be clear already and not have to worry about your diet?......