Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jrob

Acne Cure v. Prescription - Please Help

I went to a regular doctor today (can't get in to see derm for while) and he prescribe Retin-A for my acne and told me to use it at night and keep using 2.5% BP in the morning. We also discussed the Acne Cure Book. He said he was not familiar w/ the book, but the method had sound medical reasoning behind it. He said that I could try the acne cure book before starting the Retin-A, but it was up to me. I have exactly 6 weeks before I satrt work at a very big Law Firm. I really need to be clear when I start. So I pose this question to all of you, which do you think I should try first, the Retin-A or the Acne Cure. I have mild acne, predominantly on my chin. I'm particularly interested in hearing from those of you who have tried the acne cure. I've seen 2-3 people on this board rave about it and a bunch of others say they were starting the routine, but I have not seen any updates lately. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have used them all and the Retin A was the worst. It made my face break out horribly and it dried my skin out. It is a get's really bad before it gets better type of Med. The acne cure is immediate results, and easier.

I am proof it works! Good luck.

The cure is great...I'm still on it and not even half way yet and so far its worked well. I didn't have immediate results, and in fact I was doubting its effeciveness in the first week, but now it seems to be very promising. I can't compare it to Retin A, since I've never tried it. One thing that I really like about the cure it not only helps fight acne, but the glycolic acid helps get rid of the red spots in the process; an added plus

If it's mild, I'd try the acne cure first. I've heard the retin-A can be very drying, and I'm sure you don't want red, dry, flaky skin. Usually, moisturizer doesn't go quite so well over stuff like that (at least not differin, benzomycin, etc) and have to be applied to dry skin (moisturizer works better applied to damp skin). Especially if you're skin is remotely dry. The acne cure isn't likely to dry out your skin during the day.

Personally, I would DEFINATELY do the acne cure first, since no prescriptions worked on me (never tried accutane b/c I dont have severe acne)

In the first 1 or 2 weeks of the acne cure program, but be discouraged if your face breaks out into many tiny bumps or new pimples. This is your acne surfacing and it goes away pretty quickly. The beginning made me get acne like I never had before, but now I can enjoy having 100% clear skin.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to start the acne cure on Sunday. I bought and read the book, and it makes a lot of sense. I am waiting until Sunday b/c I have a party on Saturday and do not want to have any major breakouts b/f then. One question, I've seen a lot of debate on the glycolic acid. The only thing I could find around here was a generic Alpha Hydroxy Cream that has 10% glycolic acid. It is oil-free (so no petroleum) and the pharmacist told me that there is no other "active" ingredients in it, just stuff to make it a cream. Do you guys think this will work. The book says that cremes and lotions are acceptable, but I know that Dr Dubrow sells glycolic pads on his website. Do you think I need the pads for it to work?

Also, for those of you who have used this routine, would you mind posting how long you've been on it, your current results, and if you've had any relapses since using it. It is just so re-assuring to hear from people who have found away to clear, smooth skin. Thanks!

Sure, I'll post my results.

Week one: Broke out with 10-12 small bumps on my forehead, and 2 big pimples. However, the acne on each of my temples was cleared (it had been there for around 4 months previously)

Week two: Pimples heal, but small bumps are still on my forehead. The rest of my face has cleared up and shows no sign of breaking out again.

Week three (currently): All the small bumps have gone down except 1 or 2. Since I just started school (which means a load of extra stress, me constantly touching my face trying to sleep, and having to wait 15 hours between the morning and night wash) I got a pimple on my forehead, and 2 very small ones on my cheek line.

THanks Markes! Did you ever experience the bumps b/f the cure routine? Also, did you use BP b/f the routine? I've been using Proactiv/Dan's routine for the last three months. It has made my pores smaller, but I still get 1-3 whiteheads a week either in my T zone or chin area. About a week ago, I started the SA and iced/BP portions of the routine. Except I'm still putting the BP on morning and night. I'm hoping that by doign this, I can avoid a major breakout when I start the full routine on Monday. What do you think? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But your results sound promising. Do you consider it somewhat of a success after three weeks?

1. No problem jrob. About the bumps on my forehead. I always had them, they were just alot smaller and less noticeable before I started the acne cure. My guess is that they were clogged pores, and they had to come out and breakout to heal.

2. I had been on Dans regimen right before this one. Dans helped my acne, but not that much. I would still get 1 or 2 new pimples every 4-5 days.

3. The main thing I am most happy with is that even if I get pimples, they are very small. If I get whiteheads on my chin, they barely come out, and can easily be scratched off. The best part is not having any more painful pimples anymore. I would definately consider it a success and plan on being 100% clear by the end of the 6 weeks!

well i am almost at 5 weeks. i have to admitt there was a point where i was getting many new pimples, but i guess its because it was unclogging everything. the thing is that i didnt give up and well now that i'm almost at 5 weeks, well it seems like most of the acne i had hae become red marks. i'm glad that i kept up and didnt give up on this routine. i would recommend it to you. we'll see what happens after the 6 weeks. i'm actually comftable going somewhere without foundation :)