Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thejuicer

Can someone critique my regimen/status?

So I'm on day 31 of being on the CSR and boy, has it been an experience. I've followed the regimen to the T (SUPER gentle, 12 minute BP sessions, 5 second washes, etc.) and my acne is starting to get under control. I still have a few breakouts of 4-5 here and there, but are much smaller. The bigger, nodule, painful ones seem to have been obliterated and for that alone I am thankful!

However, there are some instances where I've grown weary. I've read the "what to expect" list, but I still have a few questions:

1. The past few days I've experience real tightness in my face after washing (CETAPHIL normal-oily skin wash) and the BP session. It's to the point where I have to wait until after my moisturizing session to eat or even talk to my roommates! (I feel like my skin is going to crack whenever I move my mouth!) Is this normal, or should I try like, switching to a different cleanser? Maybe I'm staying in the shower too long (drying me out)?

2. My upper lip constantly burns after the BP session. Now I didn't experience this in the beginning of the regimen, so experiencing that a month into it is rather peculiar, isn't it?

3. I have skin flaking around my temples, eyebrows, and even on my jawline. The jawline flakage is pestering me because I don't even apply BP there (maybe on accident as I'm coming across it). What the font is up with that?

But despite all this, I'm really happy about my progress. My skin feels much, much smoother and more supple, and my pores seem to have closed up. I guess the BP destroys black/whiteheads and allows the pore to close in? Regardless, things are looking great!

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dan and CSR!

okay, I'll try to answer one by one.

1. my skin gets pretty dry and tight during the wait period, I think this is mostly normal. Although cracking is definitely not desireable. Your cleanser is fine, and if your skin feels "normal" again following the moisturization part, I think you're doing okay. It is possible you may be in the shower too long, but hard to tell.

2. Your upper lip burning makes me wonder about your shaving technique (if you are a guy). I really can't think of any other reason for that one particular area to be sore. Just try to avoid bp there, or only use bp there once daily if it is really bothering you.

3. The flaking in areas where you do not apply bp. I think bp just migrates during the day, and also during washing. Consider applying some moisturizer to those areas BEFORE adding any bp on your face, and be careful not to drag the bp on those areas.

Overall your progress sounds really good! See if any of these changes helps!

Wow, thanks for the reply!

1. Yea, my skin is normalized after I moisturize so I think I'm good with that. Maybe I'll keep my face away from the shower water a little less to see if that does anything.

2. I don't shave, I use a trimmer and just let a micrometer of hair left to give a cool stubbly look, it makes me look rugged, haha. Maybe I sweat there often? Whenever I sweat, it always starts at my upper lip and then to my forehead, weird huh?

3. Yeah, that sounds like good advice. I'll try that tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the support Brandy.

Just to add on to the what Brandy said.

1. Many people are unhappy with Cetaphil cleanser, so if the problem persists or worsens, perhaps look for a differentl cleanser? If you're Canadian, Spectrojel is much better in my opinion. What also worries me is that you specified it's for normal-oily skin, and that may be causing the excess dryness.

2. The upper lip burning sensation could just be because the skin on the upper lip is very sensitive, and since you trim that area and apply BP, there could be some minor irritation. As long as it's not causing any serious problems, that should be alright. I get a slight burning after applying BP as well.

3. The flaking is a problem almost all regimen-users experience. Since you're on day 31, it's safe for you to make the switch to a moisturizer containing an AHA (either lactic acid or glycolic acid) and that should help tremendously with the flaking. Also, like Brandy said, the flaking in areas you don't apply BP is probably due to your moisturizer dragging BP with it. To avoid this, apply moisturizer to these areas first, or even before the BP if you'd like.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, and for the future, if you include which products you're using it's much easier for other members to offer advice. If you plan to post here often, it's easy to just add it to your signature. I hope this helps!

Thanks for that SuperFly. Unfortunately I live in Southern California so Spectrojel may be out of my reach. Do you have any other suggestions that users have had success with in the past?

As far as the AHA lotion, what is the best in your experience? I'll start moisturizing those areas prior to my BP session as you and Brandy suggested for the meantime.

Thanks again guys.

Just to add on to the what Brandy said.

1. Many people are unhappy with Cetaphil cleanser, so if the problem persists or worsens, perhaps look for a differentl cleanser? If you're Canadian, Spectrojel is much better in my opinion. What also worries me is that you specified it's for normal-oily skin, and that may be causing the excess dryness.

the Gentle Cleanser is the one that people often have trouble with, so I doubt it is his cleanser causing the problems.

Juicer, is your skin normally oily or dry??

Purpose gentle cleanser, almost anything by Aveeno, as well as many Neutrogena products. Just make sure that there are no active ingredients and look for words like

For sensitive skin

Non-comedogenic

Won't clog pores

Gentle

Unscented

Hypo-allergenic

Calming

Therapeutic

Non-irritating

If they have Walgreen's where you live, try looking for this cleanser.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...&id=prod1520681

I haven't seen any reviews from users here, but that cleanser looks fantastic. I love Aveeno products and that cleanser has everything you could want from one. If you can't find that, just look for some of the things mentioned above and it should be fine.

Hmm sorry, since you were speaking of the tightness I assumed that your skin was dry. That cleanser should be fine anyway, or if oiliness is a problem for you, why not use a bar cleanser? Bars typically dry out the skin a bit more. Purpose, Neutrogena, Basis, they all have cleansing bars out that should work just fine.

Try the Cetaphil 15 spf moisturizer juicer, it's the only moisturizer that keeps my face hydrated and with minimal flaking, maybe it'll work for you too. All AHA's dry me out really badly, even if I try mixing 1 pump or less of Neutrogena Healthy Skin lotion with 5 pumps of Cetaphil like Superfly used to do, I still dry out.

Superfly, I'm curious about Spectrogel. How do you shave with it if it's a gel? Does it lather well? I'm using the Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar right now; is this the one that people have trouble with?

I don't shave with Spectrojel, as it doesn't really lather at all. It has the same consistency as Cetaphil liquid cleanser, it just feels better, cleans better, and leaves you less dry. Check my sig for my shaving regimen.

If Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar leaves your face clean without feeling like there's a film left on it, and it isn't drying you out too badly, then I don't see why you'd want to change.

On a side note, AHAs dry me out really badly too. I bought 3 Eucerins from the US and had them shipped, and after the second day I stopped using it completely. Now I'm back to using a combo of Cetaphil and Neutrogena Healthy Skin. Does Cetaphil moisturizer keep the flakes away for you?

Hmm sorry, since you were speaking of the tightness I assumed that your skin was dry. That cleanser should be fine anyway, or if oiliness is a problem for you, why not use a bar cleanser? Bars typically dry out the skin a bit more. Purpose, Neutrogena, Basis, they all have cleansing bars out that should work just fine.

My situation is:

I feel extreme tightness after my cleansing and the BP session. I will moisturize soon thereafter and my skin will feel normal again. But throughout the day my face becomes oily and shiny.

I was looking into bars because they seem to lather a lot better than the liquid soap, I'll try it out.

Also, another question: How do you guys handle this situation...I'll apply BP to my lower face, and then move from eyes-up. However, I guess I overlap the two and it makes a white residue. It goes away when I moisturize, but it gets in my sideburns. Is it okay to wipe this off with a wet towel or just moisturize my sideburns? Haha.

If I had sideburns, I'd just wipe them off with a wet rag I think.

And I was noticing you updated your signature, one finger of CSR gel is for the entire face. It appears you are using 1 1/2, that's probably contributing to unnecessary dryness too. Just use one full fat finger for your entire face.

If you have oily skin, that Cetaphil for normal-to-Oily skin is probably fine, although if you want to try out one of the other cleansers like Purpose or Basis, they are good too. That's up to you.

I don't shave with Spectrojel, as it doesn't really lather at all. It has the same consistency as Cetaphil liquid cleanser, it just feels better, cleans better, and leaves you less dry. Check my sig for my shaving regimen.

If Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar leaves your face clean without feeling like there's a film left on it, and it isn't drying you out too badly, then I don't see why you'd want to change.

On a side note, AHAs dry me out really badly too. I bought 3 Eucerins from the US and had them shipped, and after the second day I stopped using it completely. Now I'm back to using a combo of Cetaphil and Neutrogena Healthy Skin. Does Cetaphil moisturizer keep the flakes away for you?

Yeah, I've tried Eucerin Skin Renewal, dried me out pretty badly too. The worst dryness experience I had was when I tried the Neutrogena Healthy Skin lotion all by itself about 2 months into the regimen, wow.. When I started to get dry, i thought i wasn't using enough, so I used more; what a mistake. After about 4 days, my face felt so heavy so extremely dry that I couldn't talk normally lol.

Since Cetaphil is the only moistuizer that keeps me hydrated (out of all that I've tried), the flaking is minimal. I still get flaking after washing, especially in the evening wash because I don't shave then. But, it's whole lot better than other moisturizers which remove the flaking for 2 days maximum, then I get dry, switch back to the Cetaphil, the dryness surfaces in the form of flaking which is a lot worse than the initial flaking I had before I tried that moisturizer.

What about Pears soap, its hypo-allergenic and non-comedogenic, is it good to use with the regimen? I'm curious about it 'cuz its cheaper than buying the Cetaphil bar, which only lasts me 1.5 - 2 weeks.

My situation is:

I feel extreme tightness after my cleansing and the BP session. I will moisturize soon thereafter and my skin will feel normal again. But throughout the day my face becomes oily and shiny.

I was looking into bars because they seem to lather a lot better than the liquid soap, I'll try it out.

Also, another question: How do you guys handle this situation...I'll apply BP to my lower face, and then move from eyes-up. However, I guess I overlap the two and it makes a white residue. It goes away when I moisturize, but it gets in my sideburns. Is it okay to wipe this off with a wet towel or just moisturize my sideburns? Haha.

I would just moisturize the sideburns... Which moisturizer are you using?