Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sadjenni

Very Severe Acne and pregnant :(

I am 21 years old and I got pregnant with my bf unplanned. Before getting pregnant I had been on antibiotics (doxycycline and monodox) for probably 3 years and had forgotten how HORRIBLE my acne could be. I had to stop taking the doxy as soon as I found out I was pregnant and at first I was fine just small breakouts. Now I am 15 weeks pregnant and my acne is the most severe it has ever been. I want so much to try to stay positive and happy during my pregnancy but I can't even leave my house. I dread any mirrors or lights. I feel like a freak. I went to the dermatologist and was given erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide topical cream, which has either done nothing or made my acne worse. I just wanted to know; I read oral erythromycin is safe during pregnancy but has anyone taken it? Has it helped? Was your ob/gyn hesitant about prescribing it? I'm almost afraid to ask my ob/gyn at my next appt. because she might say no since its not needed for my baby's health and I don't know if I can handle that dissapointment. I don't think I can live this anymore, its really affecting everything in my life especially the relationship with my boyfriend (father of my child) and me.

Sorry for rambling. I do feel a little better getting it out though.

Thank you.

Jenni

Oh dear i'm sorry you are dealing with this while pregnant. I never took erythomycin while i was pregnant. I would advise you to talk to your obgyn asap about this medication. Also if you are taking prenatal vitamins(which of course you should be taking) containing iron maybe that's why you are breaking out so bad. The doctor might swith your vitamins. Just be careful and be strong for your baby. Congratulations!!!!!!!!

thanks for the support :) I am taking prenatal vitamins in fact I take ones with extra iron for slight anemia :(, I never knew iron could affect acne, so thanks for the bit of info, I will consider asking my doctor if I can switch vitamins to one with less iron. Thanks again

Jenni

Hi Jenni, I'm sorry for all your stress, especially at this time! I have heard that Finacea(sp.) or Azalex can be used while pregnant. I went to the derm and he said he prescribes these meds for pregnant women. I don't know much about them but I would definantly check it out. I alos second the iron issue, it can really cause your skin to break out if you are prone to doing so. Do you feel comfortable talking to your boyfriend about how your feeling? I hope you are getting a lot of support!

Oh, Jenni....I swear this could've been myself writing what you did several months ago. I just gave birth on April 8th and my acne is horrible. It is the worst it has ever been. My doctor gave me Erythromycin gel while I was pregnant since I was begging for something and she hesitated because almost all acne medications/products are not recommended for pregnant women. But, it really did absolutely nothing for me. I know it is very disappointing but it literally is just one of those "lovely" things we have to deal with when pregnant. :rolleyes: I am desperately waiting to go back on BC pills since that seems to be my only cure for acne. I'm going to try out the Clear Skin Regimen while I'm waiting though. Good luck to you!!

You might look into Vivant mandelic acid serum ... I don't think it's available in stores, you have to buy it online. It's a very effective topical: exfoliates and tightens pores, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, lightens red and brown marks. I think it's OK for pregnant women to use but am not completely sure ... you should check with your doctor. PM me if you have questions about it.

The Motherisk Program is a Canadian telephone service (416-813-6780) which answers any questions regarding the safety of medications (topical or oral) during pregnancy. Your doctor's advice is always important, but for added information, check out this service.

You might look into Vivant mandelic acid serum ... I don't think it's available in stores, you have to buy it online. It's a very effective topical: exfoliates and tightens pores, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, lightens red and brown marks. I think it's OK for pregnant women to use but am not completely sure ... you should check with your doctor. PM me if you have questions about it.

Quick follow-up on this ..... I checked it out with the resident biochemist on the Diana Yvonne SkinCare board and she says mandelic acid is safe for use during pregnancy:

There are actually no studies proving a link between topical retinoids and issues with pregnancy, but I would personally also be better safe than sorry with vitamin A derivatives.

Because a certain percentage of women in the Retin-A trials had babies with birth defects, a rumor was propagated that Retin-A caused the birth defects. The % of the population in the Retin-A study turned out to be no higher than the standard rate of birth defects in the general population so no causative link could be made. Just FYI.

I know of no other topicals that are even controversial with the exception of salicylic acid. Salicylic acid at the concentrations used in skincare topicals is safe and no warnings are issued on OTC products at all. The misconception comes from the fact that aspirin is indeed discouraged during pregnancy, other than for those who require low dose aspirin therapy for heart health. Topical salicylic acid does not reach the blood stream in any measurable amount and has never been linked to any problems with pregnancy. If your friend is extremely cautious, she may choose to avoid salicylic acid products anyway.

Mandelic acid is safe.

BP has not been proven to cause any problems during pregnancy and is approved for use. You could try the regimen. I did tons of research on bp, tea tree, retinoids, and acids as I am trying to get pregnant. Bp was the only one that was aprroved that I found. Some said salicylic acid was ok, some said it was not. I'm going with the bp and the regimen. Its worked wonders for me, AND I'M AN ESTHETICIAN!!!! hehehe. ;)

I want to thank everyone for being so supportive, and giving me some really good advice and ideas. I feel alot less alone knowing other woman have gone through this too. I have made an appointment with my derm. for Monday which is after my ob/gyn this Saturday so I can talk to my ob and give her some of my information about what I found should be safe and if she is ok with me taking it. I'm thinking about trying the clean skin regimen too since benzoyl peroxide is pretty safe according to most sources in pregnancy. I'm very grateful to have my boyfriend, he is very loving and kind but not too much help with the acne. I think he tries to protect my feelings by saying he doesn't see the acne and that i'm beautiful. So again thank you sooo much again for all the support, its lifted my spirits so much. :)

Dear Jenni,

I'll be praying continuously for you, your bf and your baby. This is a rough ordeal that you're going through but you sound like a very strong woman and I know you can get through this. We're always here to listen, and I'm so glad that you don't feel so alone-because you definitely aren't! :pray:

What your boyfriend is doing may be the most wonderful and supportive thing he could be -and in all likelihood he probably doesn't even see the acne. What a great guy-having him is more important than having clear skin right now even though it may not seem like it. Because your skin will clear up soon, and I know this for a fact: Bad guys don't improve like a bad case of acne. Too many girls with naturally clear skin are with guys who treat them like garbage and their children too. After the acne is gone you'll still have a guy that loves you and sees you as beautiful regardless. as you know of course acne is a terrible affliction, especially when you're pregnant, but I have no doubt that you two will be even stronger because of this. What a great guy, I just have to say it again :dance:

and we're always here for you..

love jess

:dance:

Dear Jenni,

What your boyfriend is doing may be the most wonderful and supportive thing he could be -and in all likelihood he probably doesn't even see the acne. What a great guy-having him is more important than having clear skin right now even though it may not seem like it. Because your skin will clear up soon, and I know this for a fact: Bad guys don't improve like a bad case of acne. Too many girls with naturally clear skin are with guys who treat them like garbage and their children too. After the acne is gone you'll still have a guy that loves you and sees you as beautiful regardless. as you know of course acne is a terrible affliction, especially when you're pregnant, but I have no doubt that you two will be even stronger because of this. What a great guy, I just have to say it again

and we're always here for you..

love jess

I'm sorry you're going through this, honey. Try using something mild on your face like a gentle soap bar like dove, and spot treat with TTO. I honestly don't know what else to tell ya. =) Good Luck!

TTO is not recommended for pregnant and nursing mothers.

It enters the bloodstream quite rapidly and could cause problems with the child. Most essential oils enter the bloodstream within like 20mins I think. It would be good to look up the oils that are contra-indicated for pregnancy via google. Not all of them are bad though.

I want to thank everyone again for the advice and support :) I just wanted to give an update, I talked to my ob/gyn at my last appt. and asked if she would approve of me taking oral erythromycin since antibiotics (doxycycline, monodox) have really helped my acne before pregnancy and she took one look at my very acne covered face and looked disgusted and said it would be fine and gave me a note for my dermatologist. Its hard not to feel like a freak every time I leave my house but I try to stay positive, all the encouragement on this message board helps me. Today I went to derm. and she prescibed 333 mg erythromycin. I had soo many questions to ask her but she was very busy and rushed me out. She also said to try taking zinc supplement, I hope that is ok in pregnancy. The derm. said I won't see any results for 2 weeks and unfortunately my sister is having her baby's baptism this Sunday and I am godmother :( I just pray for a miracle that it will start to take effect this week. My baby is very healthy and for that I am happy.

You should look into laser therapy. It is safe during pregnancy and is very effective. The smoothbeam laser shirnks oil glands and reduces acne for about 18 months. The vbeam laser kills bacteria and reduces redness and scarring on the face.

Check out the before and after pictures.

Smoothbeam:

http://www.candelalaser.com/files/docs/Cli...920-23-0823.pdf

Vbeam:

http://www.candelalaser.com/files/docs/Cli...920-23-0827.pdf

You should look into laser therapy. It is safe during pregnancy and is very effective. The smoothbeam laser shirnks oil glands and reduces acne for about 18 months. The vbeam laser kills bacteria and reduces redness and scarring on the face.

Check out the before and after pictures.

Smoothbeam:

http://www.candelalaser.com/files/docs/Cli...920-23-0823.pdf

Vbeam:

http://www.candelalaser.com/files/docs/Cli...920-23-0827.pdf

I am 21 years old and I got pregnant with my bf unplanned. Before getting pregnant I had been on antibiotics (doxycycline and monodox) for probably 3 years and had forgotten how HORRIBLE my acne could be. I had to stop taking the doxy as soon as I found out I was pregnant and at first I was fine just small breakouts. Now I am 15 weeks pregnant and my acne is the most severe it has ever been. I want so much to try to stay positive and happy during my pregnancy but I can't even leave my house. I dread any mirrors or lights. I feel like a freak. I went to the dermatologist and was given erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide topical cream, which has either done nothing or made my acne worse. I just wanted to know; I read oral erythromycin is safe during pregnancy but has anyone taken it? Has it helped? Was your ob/gyn hesitant about prescribing it? I'm almost afraid to ask my ob/gyn at my next appt. because she might say no since its not needed for my baby's health and I don't know if I can handle that dissapointment. I don't think I can live this anymore, its really affecting everything in my life especially the relationship with my boyfriend (father of my child) and me.

Sorry for rambling. I do feel a little better getting it out though.

Thank you.

Jenni

:D

Hi Jenny,

My wife went through terrible acne when she was pregnant too and it seemed to me that the doctors just don't want to use anything that is not a drug or a chemical. When my wife Kristal got here acne she just googled something like pregnant with acne or pregnancy and acne, she then found this stuff called "Lerosett" and her acne was 90% gone within a few weeks, it even amazed me and now I use it sometimes.

My point is that this Lerosett did not have a single chemical at all and it worked wonders, I really am amazed at this stuff.

I wish you well and will pray for a healthy perfect baby like we now have, except I had no idea how many diapers a baby used, wow!

Mike

:boohoo:

I feel for you. It could be me wirting the post myself.

I am exactly the same ( expect I am 29 and thought I was long done with acne). I have SEVERE pregnancy acne ( I am now 6+ months pregnant) and have been to see a derm about it a couple of times. I have been on oral and topical erythromycin for 2 months now and have seen a mild improvement (no harmful effects on baby- its been very safe that way!)

My derm assures me this will get better oncethe baby pops out and then I will have a baby as well as clear skin- what more could a girl ask for!?

I know its difficult but try to keep positive and remember this is very common during pregnancy and is temporary.

Oh, and my derm recommended that if I am mad enough to have nother baby, to take a course of accutane before that.

I think thats something to think about all acne -prone ladies thinking of trying for a baby ( I am ot preaching but wish someone had told me this before, so wanted to spread the word!!)

Good luck with the pregnancy and let us know how it all goes...

xx

:cool:

Just thought I would mention that this thread was started in 2006 and had its last reply in Nov 2007. I'm guessing the poster is no longer pregnant....

BTW - I've noticed a bumping up of quite a few old threads recently. When replying to threads, you might want to check the original and last post dates. Some old threads run on forever and others are still relevant, but others have long been dead! :boohoo:

Let's just hope that your baby isn't one of the distraught acne-ridden teenagers posting on this forum in 15 years time.

I do not know if you can take it while being pregnant, Ask Your Doctor, But Zinc tablets can reduce an sometimes stop acne.. I took it alot when younger..Also Witch Hazel is a Skin PRoduct that heals.>An Campho Phenic Does wonders as a skin med. PRegnancy itdelf can cause acne..Just like being a teen can.. Something to do with the body overfunctioning or something? GOOD LUCK !