Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
careless4u

Pasta, rice or potatoes?

Whole grain pasta, whole grain rice or potatoes?

What's your experience with those three carbohydrates?

Which breaks you out more/less?

Currently whole grain pasta is my main intake of carbohydrates but I try to avoid it as much as possible.

What's yours?

Currently whole grain pasta is my main intake of carbohydrates but I try to avoid it as much as possible.

What's yours?

I adore Brown Rice Pasta! I love it more than I ever loved wheat pasta which is good, because wheat breaks me out ;-) Also, I can consume white, wild, or brown rice as well as potatos with no problems. They don't prove the same insulin/hormonal/inflammatory response that gluten grains do.

However, wheat is more nutritious the rice, so if you want to consume something with more nutrient value you should look for 100% Buckwheat Pasta or Qunioa Pasta. There's also corn pasta and perhaps they even make Amaranth pasta.

HTH :D

Brown rice in my opinion is the friendliest carb, but that's just for me.

Whole wheat gives me cystic acne, but I can eat refined wheat without problem. Potatoes and rice are fine too, but I don't like the taste as much.

I must be a weird one though because on 'good food for acne' lists, whole wheat is always listed.

Whole wheat gives me cystic acne, but I can eat refined wheat without problem. Potatoes and rice are fine too, but I don't like the taste as much.

I must be a weird one though because on 'good food for acne' lists, whole wheat is always listed.

Have you ever tried sprouted whole grain products, like Ezekiel bread? It'd be interesting to hear if those types break you out or not.

ive had the best luck with rice, including brown rice, white rice, and rice cakes. potatoes (i usually eat baked or boiled) dont seem to give me problems either.

Potatoes are bad. Very unhealthy for a vegatable b/c of all the starch. Brown rice is the healthiest choice, overall, as previously stated. Less simple sugars, more vitamins, more filling. I like to have my brown rice with a tomato type sauce and a boneless/skinless chicken breast.

To add something... It's been recently reported that whole wheat bread is no better than white bread (as it is just unbleached white bread, after all). The FDA is now recommending whole grain bread. It's kinda dry, but you definately feel better after eating it.

Darn FDA and all their constant changes.

What's yours?

Long-grain brown rice, preferably sprouted. If going for potatoes, make sure to stick with the sweet potato variety as it's less starchy.

Potatoes aren't bad. In Okinawa, sweet potatoes are their main starch and they have the longest life span on earth.

And is their long life span really attributable to the sweet potato?

That's like the one woman who lived to 120 and said her secret was 2 spoonfuls of olive oil a day.

Oilve oil + sweet potato= immortality.

And is their long life span really attributable to the sweet potato?

That's like the one woman who lived to 120 and said her secret was 2 spoonfuls of olive oil a day.

Oilve oil + sweet potato= immortality.

Considering that their diet is based around the sweet potato, yes, that does contribute to their long life spans.

And silly, the Okinawans aren't comprised of just one woman. Their average life span is the highest on earth and they have the most people living over 100 years.

rice wont make you break out, its only refined shit like pasta that will, unless its those strange named pastas that someone mentioned above

rice wont make you break out, its only refined shit like pasta that will, unless its those strange named pastas that someone mentioned above

White rice is refined as well. White pasta actually has a low glycemic due to its unique structure. If you break out from carbs, then limit both rice and pasta. If you only break out from carbs with a high glycemic index, only eat pasta cooked al dente. If you break out from gluten protein then eat rice and not pasta which is based on wheat. I have a degree in dietetics.

try not to have any carbs including sweets around dinner or for dinner before you sleep.

your body takes longer to break those down while you sleep

try not to have any carbs including sweets around dinner or for dinner before you sleep.

your body takes longer to break those down while you sleep

I think I'm going to stop eating in general :wacko:

White pasta actually has a low glycemic due to its unique structure.

What's unique about it?

Bryan

What's yours?

I am confused, why are you asking if whole grain rice or whole grain pasta is better for the skin? Your body breaks down complex carbs the same, why would it matter if it is in rice or pasta?