Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LabGirl81

Go Buy This Book Now!!!

I'm going to try to not sound like a spammer here.....but anyone who purcahses skin care products or cosmetics should really read this......If you don't want to buy it take it out from a library....

It's called The Beauty Bible by Paula Begoun.....yup the Paula's Choice lady.......She also wrote Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me (another great read)....

I've been working in the cosmetics industry for the past five years. Every year I get more and morre disillusioned with this indusrty. I'm a cosmetic scientist (a formulation chemist actually) so I'm the one who puts all that junk in your makeup...........I love the work that I do and the fact that I can walk into a drugstore or department store or Ulta or Sephora and point out products that I've fomulated........sure they don't say "made by Sarah" on them.....but I know which ones are mine.......

But what I don't like is how our marketing department (and other marketing departments) dupe poor consumers into buying products that don't work or make false claims, and refrence biased unpublished studies which they paid for.......Don't even expect a foundation to cure your acne or a anti-aging cream to smooth your wirnkles (with the exception of high potency retinol products).......That Vitamin E or aloe in your makeup or lotion does absolutely nothing.......people with oily skin don't need to moisturize unless they are on a drying acne regimen....and a properly formulated anti-acne product shouldn't be drying or irritating........Which means people with acne shouldn't moisturize (the exception is those on Accutane)..... We don't need the extra emollients.....Being gentle is the key.......Irritation from anti-acne products can induce inflammation which can exacerbate acne....not prevent it.....Stay out of the sun at all costs to prevent photoaging.......and use retinoids to not only prevent acne but to prevent wrinkles too.....never expect a cosmetic cream or lotion to come close to the effectivness of Botox...

If they advertize "better than botox" it's a scam......

That's it in a nutshell, but she really knows her shit......She points out what products work and what doesn't and she exposes the cosmetics companies for the frauds that they are.....and she educates consumers....

She isn't against makeup or skin care products, but she explains what works and what doesn't, what's a scam and what's not.......She knows a lot....and has my respect as a consumer dvocate.....

I had the opportunity to have lunch with her last week at a seminar. She randomly sat at my table.during lunch. I panicked. I had to sit next to a skin care guru, with a face full of nodulocystic acne.......

She did notice my skin.......and asked what I was doing about it....I told her I'm planning on getting Accutane within the next couple months........she said..."Go for it....the sooner the better"....she said "I wish I didn't wait until I was almost 40....this (pointing to some minimal scarring on her cheek) was totally avoidable....if I hadn't waited so long"...........I didn't mind her pointing out my acne for some reason.....it was a very well lit room (skylights and tons of windows....makeup was in major meltdown). I knew pretty much everyone at the table......so I didn't really care......how could they have not noticed my skin??? (yes it was that bad).......I respect her advise as a fellow sufferer and a skin care guru..........

She than asked my if she ripped apart any of my products....I said of course....She asked if I was offended....I said...."of course not.....I love it when you expose us for the frauds that we are."

Seroiusly go check out this book......It's like $18.95 or free at the library. It will change the way you look at skincare and cosmetics.......it will save you money.....an it could save your skin............

I'm going to try to not sound like a spammer here.....but anyone who purcahses skin care products or cosmetics should really read this......If you don't want to buy it take it out from a library....

It's called The Beauty Bible by Paula Begoun.....yup the Paula's Choice lady.......She also wrote Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me

. . .

Seroiusly go check out this book......It's like $18.95 or free at the library. It will change the way you look at skincare and cosmetics.......it will save you money.....an it could save your skin............

Oh, yeah, Paula rocks! About the only person in the industry who tells it like it is. I've been a faithful follower since her first book, "Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal" came out. I use many of her products, and wish other women would follow her advice. We'd save so much in terms of time, $$ and frustration, that's for sure.

How awesome that you actually got to meet her!

I have to tell you Labgirl, you rock!!!

I just had a rant in my log not too long ago about this very subject! I am so with you on everything!

I'm a big fan of the Diana Yvonne Skin Care board, which I feel goes along the lines of Paula's way of thinking...being educated...exposing products for what they are, using products that are as "clean" as possible.

That's so cool you got to have lunch with her!

Anyways, thanks for the great info! Its always interesting to read your posts! :D

Yes, Paula really seems to know what she's talking about. AND she backs up her statements with actual scientific research, which is always good!

So people with oily skin shouldn't moisturize? because what i'm using right now for my skin isn't irritating..it actually doesn't feel like anything when i put it on. the only reason why i wear moisturizer is so my makeup goes on smoother. is this okay?

So the people formulating make-up have severe acne and don't even believe in their own products? That can't be right. No wonder most of the make-up I've bought over the years I've had to return. And the big cosmetic experts have all used accutane? This sounds like a big joke.

So the people formulating make-up have severe acne and don't even believe in their own products? That can't be right. No wonder most of the make-up I've bought over the years I've had to return. And the big cosmetic experts have all used accutane? This sounds like a big joke.

The whole industry is a joke Mrs. Jenkins......

I'm leaving the industry for a few years to and entering the wold of academia once again.......I may return later....but only to give lectures at SCC meetings....and consult raw material suppliers

But that Paula chick really knows her shit......and she agrees.....most OTC acne stuff is only meant for mild acne or the occasional blemish.......moderate and severe acne require more agressive means...ie Accutane......

I second that, her books have helped me avoid some major cosmetic mistakes and I have been pleased with most of her products.

Labgirl, other than the minimal scarring how does her skin look?

*runs off to Amazon to see if they have this*

*runs back in*

hey LabGirl, which one? There's several called "The Beauty Bible" and there doesn't seem to be any with a new copyright.

^ You would be looking for the 2nd edition of the Beauty Bible, I think it came out around 2002 or so. You can also check out her products and find a lot of info on her HERE.

I second that, her books have helped me avoid some major cosmetic mistakes and I have been pleased with most of her products.

Labgirl, other than the minimal scarring how does her skin look?

Great for a woman in her fifties. She did have quite a bit of makeup on and admitted to botox, but for a 52 year old woman she looks great skin wize......

This reminds me of vitamins in shampoo.

Must nourish that dead fibre!

I'm new, please don't throw things at me. :)

I love Paula's products, so far. The tinted matte "foundation" is working for me right now. It doesn't cover anything, really, but offers some evening of the skin tone while providing SPF protection that my skin can handle. Loving it!