Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Susan1967

Regarding Dietary Advice versus Meal Ideas

Do you ever notice that all that wonderful dietary advice out there on the internet always includes a very long list of "What NOT to Eat," an almost as long list on "What to Eat" but never seem to give specific examples for meal ideas?

I've yet to come across one that lists several choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. It's always ingredient lists only.

Some of us don't have time to pour over new age cook books to make virtual gourmet meals with all sorts of bizarre ingredients that you can only get at specialty stores for each and every meal.

Some of us want practical choices that are both healthy and fit into busy lifestyles.

Maybe there are such helpful sites out there with good, solid, healthy dietary advice, INCLUDING ideas for meal choices, and I'm just having a hard time sifting through all the junk sites to get to it.

So, if anyone here has some links to some excellent sites, It would be much appreciated.

I am not interested in radical vitamin/herb supplement regimens whereby you overdose on various supplements to make up for a healthy diet. "Homey don't play that." Where I have no issue with taking a good multivitamin once a day, I will not be stuffing myself to the gord with bottles of bizarre supplements several times a day. That, I know for a fact, is not healthy. :hand:

And if there is anyone here tempted to reply with the ever so unfriendly and unhelpful advice to "quit whigning," don't and feel free to move along to another thread. I am not whigning but asking for help in linkng to an excellent site or two that has helpful ideas, rather than long lists of "Do's and Don'ts."

Thanks! :)

I don't know of any sites, but I can tell you the diet that has helped improve my skin:

breakfast:

oatmeal with 1-2 tablespoons flax seeds

lunch:

brown rice with lentils or garbanzo beans, and fresh garlic and onion

fruit

dinner:

salad with garbanzo beans, hardboiled egg, or nuts

snacks:

sunflower seeds

pumpkin seeds

walnuts

rice cakes

good luck!!!

i think the best dietary advice is to really find out for yourself through trial and error what works for you and what doesn't. it's very difficult to tell someone what specifically to eat because we all seem to have different intolerances/allergies. not to mention tastes in food.

for example of the post above by remember4 - i know that if i were to adopt that diet, my skin would not clear because i have problems with oats AND walnuts. and although i have NO trouble with garbanzo beans, i have a co-worker with problematic skin who does.

Okay, I think I left a key bit of information out of my post: I'm thinking of a "diet" in terms of reducing wheat products.

Of all the fad diets that are out there claiming certain things are all bad or certain things are all good, may of which cancel eachother out, I think the research on wheat being the culprit in unhealthy skin, among other things, has a lot of merit. Mostly because this information isn't new to me -- I was first introduced to the idea about 12 years ago by my children's pediatrician.

But regardless of the diet or it's focus, all they ever offer are Do's and Don'ts but no truly helpful information as to meal ideas like remember4 gave, for example. And if there is a thing or two on the menu ideas that I don't care for, perhaps there are substitutions that are similar and acceptible.

I would like a list of meal choices/ideas -- simple ones I can figure out how to prepare on my own and complicated ones I can follow a recipe. I just don't want bizarre recipes that require all sorts of unique ingredients you have to buy in specialty stores that me and my family will hate anyway.

Simple healthy meal choices -- that's what I'm looking for.

Who knows, if I find a good source, maybe I'll find out that I haven't been so far off the mark all these years and only need to change things up a little. Or maybe I'll find some new ideas I've never thought of that will add to our menu, that are both healthy and work for my entire family as a whole.

Whatever the deal, it's hard to take a huge list of Do's and Dont's and translate them into a working menu if it's a diet you've never done it before. That's why meal ideas/ menu ideas would be easier to work with.

Cookbooks

Agreed. If you are trying gluten-free (no wheat), just make the same meals as always but substitute an identitcal gluten-free product.

Cookbooks

The point is, I don't want lists and recipe's, I want meal ideas.

Cookbooks just throw a bunch of recipes at you, they don't provide actual meal plans. I've looked. I own several cookbooks and none of them give meal plan ideas for every meal of the day. There's a difference.

So hence my question: Does anybody know of a good resource? If there IS a good cookbook with that information, I'd LOVE For someone to refer me to it.

Cookbooks

Agreed. If you are trying gluten-free (no wheat), just make the same meals as always but substitute an identitcal gluten-free product.

It's not necessary that easy when it comes to baking, though. In fact, any bakery that makes an effort to offer a lot of gluten-free items gets a high mark in my book.

It's not necessary that easy when it comes to baking, though. In fact, any bakery that makes an effort to offer a lot of gluten-free items gets a high mark in my book.

Yeah, just cutting wheat and wheat products out of one's diet is not so simple and straight forward as those do and don't lists make it seem.

Wheat's in frigging everything. It's a staple most of us have had in our diets our whole lives. And even if you make absolutely everything from scratch, it's damn near impossible to cut it out of everything.

If we are expected to make such radical changes in the way we prepare our food, some more guidance is needed. It needs to make sense and be manageable.

Yes, I'm one of those people who are going to need a little hand holding in the beginning as I gradually learn how to change my dietary lifestyle. Making radical changes like that aren't easy and don't happen over night.

Maybe I'm just beating my head against a brick wall but I was hoping there would be someone out there with a really good reference or two that would help me in this process.

Meal suggestions

Breakfast:

eggs, stir-fried veggies, smoothies made with kefir, fruit and stevia, fresh juice, nuts, hot cereal (oats, quinoa, buckwheat)

Lunch/dinner:

-stir-fried veggies with quinoa or rice

-steamed veggies dressed w/ olive oil, lemon juice, pumpkin seeds, avocado, nutritional yeast... ,

-fish with cilantro chutney (chopped cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, red onion)

-some kind of grain and bean salad: take rice or quinoa, beans like aduki, black, kidney, garbanzo...etc, mix with lemon juice, olive oil, spices, herbs, grated carrot, celery, zucchini, green onions, etc

-soups like split pea, thai soups w/ cocnut milk, lentil, vegetable, etc

-homemade falafel or other type of grain/bean patty with hummus or tahini sauce (there are many wheat-free recipes, or you can usually sub some other type of flour successfully)

-salads -get creative - use different kinds of greens, grated carrot, other veggies + nuts/seeds, feta if eating dairy, baked tofu, avocado, the list goes on.

-brown rice pasta

-roasted vegetables - turnips, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, celeriac (celery root, very yummy), slather in butter or coconut oil, add sea salt and roast for an hour or so.

-fried rice with egg or tofu, veggies, bean sprouts

-curries

-meat, if you eat it

These are the types of things I eat, except meat. They're all wheat-free. Dairy-free too unless you cook with butter. You can also look into the myriad of gluten-free foods out there, such as corn or rice tortillas, gluten-free bread, pancake mixes (often have sugar). I found a brown rice pizza crust that I use when the pizza craving strikes.

I'd be happy to give recipes, but you indicated you weren't interested in them.

DISCLAIMER: I am not making any statements that adhering to the above foods will clear your acne.

I think I've found a site with some helpful meal tips!

http://www.alive.com

It's not as extensive as I was hoping, but I haven't had time to really look over the whole site in depth. I'm hoping it will have some links and suggest a good book or two.

btw, THANK YOU cjb! :)