Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaWow

Will Accutane work if skin not oily?

I've read about how Accutane prevents oil being produced and thus reducing the acne, but what if you don't have particularly oily skin, yet still have acne.

Would Accutane still work?

Accutane works only and specifically for oily skin in a way that reduces the activity of oil glands

Maybe I don't fully comprehend your problem - if your skin is dry (naturally, that means in a way that does not result from applying some harsh medications to the skin, which's a matter of cousre)

then how could you develop such a skin disorder immanent for people with seborrhoea (very oily skin)??

maybe u should try regular peelings at your beautician :-?

or just try differin

I have dry skin and recurring moderate acne. I suppose people with oily skin are more prone, but we dry folks get it too.

whoa whoa whao....people need to research more before answering questions. Accutane DOES...i repeat DOES work for non-oily skin.

Accutane completely or 99% shuts down ALL oil production. The ONLY way a pimple can form is by the oil getting clogged. So whether you have oily skin or dry skin, you are still getting oil clogged up in your pores...hecne you have pimples.

Which means, accutane should work for you. because without oil, there is no way a pimple can form.

Much like you cant make wine without grapes...you cant make a pimple without oil.

I think the term "dry" skin is deceiving. I always thought my skin was dry on my face, but it always seemed like my breakouts were at their worst when my face was "dry".

But, now I realize I am probably not DRY at all. Matter of fact, I am very oily. But, the outer later of my skin gets DEHYDRATED, and because it doesn't shed properly, it looks/feels dry. I think Paula Begoun explains all this very well somewhere on her website. Using something to help slough off this "dry" skin is helping my situation (I am using PC's BHA lotions).

So when I got dehydrated/dry skin that doesn't shed, the oil gets backed up, and I get a huge breakout. It's well know that you MUST produce oil to cause acne. Oil + blockage + p.acnes = zits.

listen folks, espec. nappyjim, I did make some essential research, eventually we do have the inet in my country...

I meant exactly what Forcefed4 wrote: the outer stratum (layer) of skin called epidermis is excessively dehydrated or not enough "endowed" with oil both because of blockage which disables the sebum get out to the outer skin (where its place should be) and - secondarily becuase of the very process of treating the condition, which - too frequently - leads straight to dehydration. Tretinoin (Retin-A), just the first for instance.

So while one thinks he has peculiarly overdried skin w/o any oil, it is a false feeling caused by how we all sense our skin - mainly by our outer layer of it. We don't realise what is underneath - there may be lots of moisture and sebum but it's hard to notice.

The truth is simple - there's not a single pimple without oil (sebum).

but then this just contradicts what you said in your first post. you told the guy to look at peels etc.

i had dry skin, and recurring acne. accutane made my skin really really dry, while on it, and got rid of my acne.

you are bothering with semantics, when using a little bit of logic would have been a better way to answer the guy's question. of course his skin is technically oily underneath if he has acne, but as you said yourself we judge our skin based on what the outer layer shows us. maybe your good intentions got lost in translation, as you obviously haven't mastered the cadences of the English language.

You know, it' conspicuous my intentions are always good, but I know some basic facts standing behind the problem of every kind of seborrheic inflamation, to which acne also belongs

I used the word "seborrhoeic" meaningfully (and I spelt it without use of dictionary which some of "real" and "genuine" Amiricans would not do well but never mind)

That means that oil (sebum) is essential, necessary and even indispensable for all kinds of acne-lesions to appear. If one has a lesion and a previously diagnosed dry skin (I mean: naturally ascribed to one in one's genes, not artificially "overdried") - that lesion can't possibly be recognized as acneic. That can be a bad rash, or completely distinct infectious disease which has influence on skin...

if you mean, by writing "translation", the fact of my first writing the text in polish and then rendering into into english myself or by someone else, sorry - you're a bit mistaken - I'm writing impromptu in English, cuz I'm not so bad at it as you might presume me to be. I know my being an English language teacher does not count me into the group of experts, but for goodness' sake, I'm not so "obtrusively" deprived of rudimentary language knowledge! :)/

Raf....i dont understand how anyone misunderstood your first post?: (unneccesarry parts cut out)

Accutane works only and specifically for oily skin in a way that reduces the activity of oil glands - if your skin is dry then how could you develop such a skin disorder immanent for people with very oily skin .

Now call me dumb...but to me it sounds like your saying acctuane only works for people with oily skin and you dont understand how someone with dry skin can get acne.

People with dry skin STILL PRODUCE OIL! All it takes is for a pore to get clogged whether it be dead skin or something else, then the oil that is supposed to be expelled thru the pores gets clogged...thus....a pimple

Nappyjim, and language-aware Mandala,

I meant only the thing that Acctane is designed specifically and specially for people with very oily skin. Of course, there is still a rather slight probability (derisory tho') of developing bad (improper) keratinization (that is: process of diverifying of the skin cells) while having dry skin, which leads to sloughing dead cells into sebum canals instead of onto the skin surface (epidermis). :-k

But, as I said, the probability of acne with dry is smaller cuz the outflux of oil is so small and slow that it can be washed out well by means of a daily washing routine. When a washing regimen isn't sufficient, the next thing recommended for such people (dry skin with clogged pores) are keratolytics, i.e. remedies, the main function of which is getting rid of the corneocytes (dead skin). Of course both bp and all retinoids have keratolytic properties. Sometimes as I mentioned, the peel alone (repeatedly) is enough to unblock the skin in some cases.

So the main cause of "acne" on dry skin is in fact more the blockage of pores (bad model of keratinization) and less - too much sebum (sebborrhoea). :)({|=

Whilst "bad keratinization" can be cured with topical retinoids (also bp, salicyl acid and azelaic), the sebborrhoea must be treated mostly systemically either by ___oral_retinoid__, which accutane is, or by some DHT blockers - one of which is Finasteride, Dutasteride and RU58841, there are also different ones. There are also some recommended topicals for too oily skin: zinc sulfate (prevalent in anti-oil agents in mattifying gels) and skinoren (98% inhibition of DHT [kinda testosterone]) and also spironolactone topicals. But why could you know this (the DHT blockers) - you focus only on "clogged pores" and don't realize which is the deeper cause: the excessive flow of oil or clogged pores (certainly: oil produced by DHT!!!).

:D/

You can do some research on DHT on-line, maybe u will finally find out which so-ugly-and-bad hormone cause all the clutter on our complexions.

:D

So what i was to say was not THAT ACCUTANE DOES NOT WORK FOR PEoPLE WHITH DRY SKIN (OF COURSE IT DOES AND IT ALSO IMPROVES DEAD SKIN SLOUGHING) BUT THAT ACCUTANE IS TOO MUCH FOR PEOPLE WITH DRY SKIN , WHICH CAN USE LESS DRASTIC METHODS! So it's unnecessary - it's prescribed solely (and especially devised) for people with either cystic or prolonged acne which is obstinate enough to be cured.

I'm on accutane now and I'm 100% clear and I know this med a little.

Of course your use of this strong drug is up to you. No direct suggestion has gone out me to you - no don't's and do's. :D#

EDIT:

nevermind Raf, im simply poiting out that you are contradcting yourself, but you dont want to admit im. im done.

you know, we're all in the same boat eventually

the last thing we should do is quarrel about minor things such as semantics

maybe you were right, in the first mail there was really an inconsistence

:^o

heh

PS I hope that after a few weeks which are left till the end of my taking of Roaccutane I won't even remember what acne was ;-)) [-o< (dreams dreams everybody does it sometimes...). But at least I will think about it only occasionally, when a incidental pimples pops :) up

Wish me luck

If any of u want my photos, do 'pm' me and give me ur email, i'll send it.

Unfortunately, tho' I have some photos whith acne, they're from the times when acne has not yet gone too crazy, so you (and me,too) can't visually compare things. More, I have changed very much lately in terms of 'adult' look (I'm 25 but I looked quite childish till i guess 20-21 ;-).

Decreasing oiliness is just one of Accutane's benefits. It's longer lasting effect is that it changes the way your skin sheds dead cells. Your skin can be oily as hell and you might still be completely clear, as long as your skin isn't shed abnormally such that your pores get clogged. In other words, yes, accutane should work with dry skin.

Sorry if this was redundant since I did not read the entire thread.