Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm just about to finish up my fourth week on a retinoid. My skin has definately been breaking out a lot more than usual and I'm assuming its just the initial breakout. I know that having more pimples than normal is par for the course during this time, but what's freaking me out a little is the actual size of my breakouts. The pimples are bigger, more inflammed and really sore. Is this typical with a retinoid or am I having a strange reaction?

my first IB came at 3 weeks and my pimples were really inflamed...even white heads were inflammed and red. but they cleared up in about a week. i just had a mini-breakout recently and none of the pimples in that breakout were inflamed and they all cleared up within 3 days. thats my experience so far (been on it almost 5 weeks).

Yes, it's totally normal, yet scary at the same time! I know how you feel, but what you're experiencing is (unfortunately) part of the IB.

:-)

It's normal, you'll just have to put up with it. Actually it's a good sign it's working.

Thanks for the feedback.

Seeing my mild acne turn moderate is hard to take. I have five large pimples on my cheek all right next to each other and I never break out there. Plus like I said, they are so much bigger and more painful. I'm trying to hang in there and trust that this is just part of the IB, but sometimes I wonder if this retinoid is just making my skin worse.

I'll take the advice I was given and just tough it out. From what I've heard the IB should be over by week 6. Two more weeks... :pray:

I started using Retin-a and experiencing an IB too..... my acne is at it's worse (my acne is mild, so... to me it's a big deal to get a lot of pimples) , I hope this IB will go away soon

I am having the same experience with Differin. I have been using it for about 4 weeks. All is pretty clear except my chin, which is getting frequent breakouts, including a couple of bad inflammed ones. And my chin was clear when I started this! My skin has never looked worse on my chin now. Hating Differin at the moment.

Be careful with it. I had moderate acne turn into very, very severe acne due to the retin-A IB, and it was the source of all of the scarring I now have. I ended up having to go on steroids to clear up all of the swelling and inflammation because it just kept getting worse, then went onto accutane since I wasn't responding to topical treatments.

Be careful with it. I had moderate acne turn into very, very severe acne due to the retin-A IB, and it was the source of all of the scarring I now have. I ended up having to go on steroids to clear up all of the swelling and inflammation because it just kept getting worse, then went onto accutane since I wasn't responding to topical treatments.

That very situation is what I am afraid of. If I knew I was going to clear up after this, I could stomach the IB. I'm just afraid that the IB will either not end, or leave scars that will be worse than the occasional acne I got on my chin. I am purposefully NOT using the Differin where I don't break out. Just on my problem spots. I had very mild acne to start with. Maybe this isn't worth it, I don't know. Any idea on why/how retinols make some people's acne worse, even after the IB? I wonder if some people's pores have a bad reaction or something? Given that there is still a lot that is not know about why these products work in the first place.

The only thing I can think of that may have aggravated it for me was the fact that I was swimming a lot, and it seemed to dry my skin out even more. Other than that, I really have no idea.