Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
queengodiva

Help!! picking in 20's cause scars when you're older?

I haven't seen this topic talked about and i have been worried about it! I am 28 and have been a notorious picker for 3 yrs or so. I have mild/sometimes moderate acne with a lot of clogged pores. Iused to pick at my face 2-3 times a day-looking for clogged pores, etc. I have been working at not doing this as I know it isn't good at all for your skin (I also used my nails, which is bad!! :ninja: ) Does this behavior in your 20's effect your skin later even if you quit picking? I'm so worried that I have ruined my skin :cry: . My mother has the most lovely skin imaginable and she says that she had some pimples at my age but you would never know! I have been using retin A to help with the light scars i have on my forehead, where I pick the most. Please help if you can!!!

Picking just sucks. I don't pick much anymore, but when my acne first started flairing up I did. I found that now that I'm in my mid twenties I scar more. Scarring is bad. Picking leads to scarring.....so I stopped picking is bad too.

I found that on topical retinoids evne the most gentle attempt to remove a comedo or pop a pustule would draw blood and create more damage then just leaving it alone.

When I cam off the retinoid a couple months ago, my skin was more tolerant.....and I did pick a little. I recently got fake nails. I have short tips, covered in liquid crystal acrylic. And an adorable dressy french manicure......

I can pick even if I wanted to.. I can pop....but onhly if it's ready to be popped.....I can't do real damage.......

And I can't do anything about those little comedoes or nose blackheads......

I haven't seen this topic talked about and i have been worried about it! I am 28 and have been a notorious picker for 3 yrs or so. I have mild/sometimes moderate acne with a lot of clogged pores. Iused to pick at my face 2-3 times a day-looking for clogged pores, etc. I have been working at not doing this as I know it isn't good at all for your skin (I also used my nails, which is bad!! :ninja: ) Does this behavior in your 20's effect your skin later even if you quit picking? I'm so worried that I have ruined my skin :cry: . My mother has the most lovely skin imaginable and she says that she had some pimples at my age but you would never know! I have been using retin A to help with the light scars i have on my forehead, where I pick the most. Please help if you can!!!

Yes, picking causes scarring and it gets worse as you get older.

Hey Labgirl-thank for responding to my post:) I have also noticed that with retinoids that my skin bleeds very easily, where as before I could pick and pick and it wouldn't bleed at all. So i'm trying really hard not to pick. It is a habit that is hard to break. I spoke with my derm today and she said that as youi get older your skin is less resilient, so you are more likely to scar and the scars/pores that are present are more visible. But she didn't seem to think I have any scars but, of course, I feel like I do. I do have large pores though. It seems we are our own worst critic.

I looked at your signature and I noticed you plan to go on accutane-if you have done so, how is it going? I have heard so many good things about it but where I am from, it isn't prescribed very often:(

Not only will it cause scarring, it will often give you more pimples and breakouts too, as when you are popping them, some of the bacteria under your skin can get spread around to different locations. Popping may make the pimple look better for a few hours, but it is sooooo not worth it. And they don't go away any quicker either. And all that touching of your face with your hands can cause more acne too! Leave your face alone.

yeh it does cause scarring but they heal well over time. I had major bad scars which were red and very noticable they looked like active spots from a distance but in the past few years my acne has calmed down as i have gotten older and the scars are more or less gone and have no redness. so dont worry unless your acne is severe i would say your scars will heal over time but may take a year or 2. Also i think some spots wether you pick them or not will leave scars.

yeh it does cause scarring but they heal well over time. I had major bad scars which were red and very noticable they looked like active spots from a distance but in the past few years my acne has calmed down as i have gotten older and the scars are more or less gone and have no redness. so dont worry unless your acne is severe i would say your scars will heal over time but may take a year or 2. Also i think some spots wether you pick them or not will leave scars.

Hi Ronaldo,

are you in your 20's as well, the reason why I ask is 'coz I'm 25, used to CLEAR skin, got a breakout from a chemical I put on my face for some mild acne... bad mistake... anyhow, my face is healing a bit, I'm still getting breakouts but they are getting better.... however I do have a lot of red scaring, no pit marks as of yet... just a lot of hyperpigmentation all over... is this what you had??

im almost 24 and suffered with acne for years which improved greatly with diannette and other pills..however,since coming off the pill im now breaking out again, im a compulsive squeezer of spots, then i pick at the scab and scar untill eventually its gone!im awful for it!but now im getting older im noticing my skin isnt healing so quickly, and before i rarely scared badly now I am...so i think yes picking as u get older scars ur skin, maybe not permanenly but this is the time we need to takecare of it so we can look as good as our mothers when we're old!!

im almost 24 and suffered with acne for years which improved greatly with diannette and other pills..however,since coming off the pill im now breaking out again, im a compulsive squeezer of spots, then i pick at the scab and scar untill eventually its gone!im awful for it!but now im getting older im noticing my skin isnt healing so quickly, and before i rarely scared badly now I am...so i think yes picking as u get older scars ur skin, maybe not permanenly but this is the time we need to takecare of it so we can look as good as our mothers when we're old!!

Is Dianette available in the US? And you talked about "other pills". What other meds did you take with your OC?

Is Dianette available in the US? And you talked about "other pills". What other meds did you take with your OC?

I think its called diane 35 in the U.S...i just went to the doc today and im gonna start back on it, the only time i was free of spots was when i was on it, my friend has re-started on it as well as she found it worked well for her. I tried antibiotics years ago,minocyn i think (cant spell) but my skin got really really bad for about a month, and the doc said it would take another month or 2 before id c an improvement so i said flip that and went back on diannette..by other pills i meant just other contraceptive pills.. Logynon and mercilin..logynon is a "step down" from dianette. fingers crossed now the diannette will sort me out this time with no side effects!

well I must admit I've been a picker at times...not as much lately because my skin is under control for the most part, but yes as I've gotten older my skin will definately scar more easily (i'm 28). I will tell you that retin-a helps skin cells grow back faster and in a more normal fashion so that may give you an edge. I was on retin a for four years and nothing scarred, in fact any scar that I had (minor ones) got better while on it. Still best to not mess with it too much though. And definately not heavy handedly.