Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just want to post here so I could just let some people know about Aldactone. I am a huge advocate for it and I'm sorry if it seems like I am shoving it in people's faces, but I can't help it.

I had acne for many years and for many years nothing ever helped me. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17, but my symptoms were not typical PCOS. A lot of women out there have PCOS and don't know it. I have helped one person get diagnosed and helped and that's meant a lot to me and if I can help more, I will. A lot of people get put on Metformin at first and it does not do much for acne. A lot of people with PCOS I know and have heard of get put on it and I don't understand why they are not offered Aldactone and/or birth control. I tried many different drugs and creams, such as: Tetracycline (and a bunch of other cyclines), Duricef, Differin, Aldactone (a very low dose), Retin-A, Z-pac, and so many other things that I can't even think of anymore. It was ridiculous. The creams would always dry out my skin or just wouldn't help at all. My acne just kept getting worse and worse.

Finally after I tried Accutane (I was 18 at the time) and was told I was one of the 10% it didn't help, my doctor finally told me to talk to my gynecologist to do something, that this had to be hormonal. And it turned out, after all those years, all those struggles, and all those drugs, it was. I told the dermatologist I wanted to try Aldactone again, but he would not prescribe me a high dose. I saw a reproductive endocrinologist and started 200 mg of Aldactone. At 19, I was finally cured me of my acne, within not even 2 weeks of taking the Aldactone. I have been acne-free minus a small pimple every now and then since October 2005.

Seriously, ladies, if you have serious persistant acne that will not go away and cramps with your period, irregular periods, facial hair, and/or weird hormone levels, are gaining weight, get your main breakouts right before your period, etc, go see a gynecologist or reproductive endocrinologist. Get your hormone levels checked. You will not regret it.

I took aldactone and went on yasmin for my acne. It did help my cyst but after a few months everything came right back. I was clear for 4 months and everything came back and I think even worse now. I also developed really bad acid reflux from the aldactone. That was one of the side effects from it.

I'm trying to find an endocrinologist to see in my area, but am not having much luck. I've called around asking different doctors if they treat acne due to hormonal imbalance and they keep referring me to a dermatologist.

I'm trying to find an endocrinologist to see in my area, but am not having much luck. I've called around asking different doctors if they treat acne due to hormonal imbalance and they keep referring me to a dermatologist.

Unless you have a specific reason to see an endocrinologist, you don't need to go to one for a Rx of Aldactone (generic is spironolactone). But do see a Dermatologist. If you have a good doctor, he/she should know about the use of Aldactone for the treatment of hormonal acne and, barring any health problems contraindicating you using this med, should put you on a low dose (25mg or 50mg daily) if that works for you.

Check out this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...0entry1111803

The only reason I had to see an endocrinologist was because I needed such a high dose (and I was already on Yasmin and still am, which is kind of like Aldactone), otherwise just suggest a light dose to your dermatologist to see if they think it would be a good treatment for you. Originally my dermatologist had me out it at about 50 mg, but then it did not help as much. And I already have severe acid reflux from years before taking Aldactone and I have not experienced extra problems with it since taking Aldactone.

Weight gain, excess hair, acne (along with dark spots on the skin, skin tags, and some other things with the skin, like oily skin or dandriff), irregular periods, mood swings, and possible cysts on the ovaries which can be detected with an ultrasound. I personally didn't experience direct irregular periods, but it is likely I do not ovulate and I had no visible cysts. Not everyone gets all of these symptoms, a lot of people have a lot of different variations of them. Not all acne is caused by PCOS, obviously, but if you're a woman and you have more than one of these symptoms or your acne is very resistant to being treated with conventional acne treatments, it should be possibly considered.

I've been on aldactone for a while. But all it's done for me is stop my oil production almost completely. But ever since i've started it, i've gotten quite a few cysts. I never got them before. It could be the aldactone, or maybe it was just bound to happen.

I'm glad it's worked for you though.