Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpio

Does accutane make you fat?

I know it increases cholesterol and such.

But, does it actually make you fat as a result?

I have heard of people both gaining and losing weight on accutane.

Personally, I have been trying to gain weight, but cannot do it any better on accutane than I could before. It stays the same :(

I dont think theres been any research on what effect accutane has on weight gain but it has proven to alter fat metabolism in some people. I doubt it has a significant effect to be honest

-cj

well for me i lost about 10 lbs on accutane, but that was also becuz im not working out anymore because of baseball. but i have also noticed that i dont have as much of an appetite at breakfast as i used too, i cant eat as many pancakes now :lol:

no. and i can already tell i'm going to get insanely frustrated at some of the future answers, so i'm just not going to come back to this thread. :)

I don't know if its a side effect or not but I gained about 7 lbs on it.

I actually lost weight on it- and I was eating like a pig too because I was constantly hungry on it. Those were the best times of my life. haha. It could be for other reasons that I lost weight though, maybe because psycologically I was feeling better about my skin, so therefore I was going out more and doing more active things than just sitting around and watching tv.

It does increase the cholesterol because accutane is a vitamin A which increases the absorption of lipids into the blood.

I can't take accutane because I genetically have high cholesterol and it is out of my control to lower it dramatically without taking medication, but I am too young too take cholesterol lowering tablets so I can't take accutane. :( but I am on antibiotics at the moment.

It does increase the cholesterol because accutane is a vitamin A which increases the absorption of lipids into the blood.

I can't take accutane because I genetically have high cholesterol and it is out of my control to lower it dramatically without taking medication, but I am too young too take cholesterol lowering tablets so I can't take accutane. :( but I am on antibiotics at the moment.

How old are you?? I have the same problem, I have high cholesterol genetically, and my #s shot up after i started accutane. My doc gave me zocor to take along with accutane. I'm 26 yrs old, and its been working for me. My cholesterol went down! :D She sid that my after accutane, I wont need zocor anymore.

i've gained a lot on accutane. it might have to do with birth control on top of it.

in any case i can't wait to be done with this and get off both medicines because even if my acne comes back i'm never putting myself through this ever again!