Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My skin was clearing up nicely thanks to liver flushing/colonics. It was almost perfect two days ago. But I just started a new job and now my skin is getting worse again. I'm like 95% sure it's because I've been VERY stressed ever since I got this job. I get stressed out easily. Every time I get a new job, my skin gets significantly worse within a week or two. Does anyone have any ideas for dealing with stress? Or am I just destined to be covered in acne whenever I have a job?

Does it make sense that stress would make me break out within a week or two?

There are a couple things I do to deal with stress. First of all, obviously getting enough sleep and eating properly will help make difficult situations more copable. And when stress has already taken it's grip on your body, the quickest way to unwind is some good cardio exercise followed by something relaxing after that. During a stressful situation, the best thing I've been able to do for that was something that I read from Dr. Weil - put your tongue on the tip of your mouth (I don't know what this is for..), breathe in slowly for 7 seconds, hold for a second, exhale for 7 seconds and repeat 4-8 times. Oxygen really benefits your body when your stressed, amazingly. Positive thoughts help too of course. Finally, there's meditation - I've been reading that the more you meditate, the more it conditions your mind away from stress in your conscious life.

I've been finding, though, that with proper sleep, exercise and nutrition, it makes stressful situations in my life a lot easier to deal with. For example, not too long ago I had to turn in a research paper that was supposed to be 15-20 pages long in and I waited till the last minute. I hammered the whole thing out and remained relatively calm the whole time... I actually took the SAT on day 3 of a juice fast and did very well on that too.

First of all, obviously getting enough sleep and eating properly will help make difficult situations more copable.

This is part of the problem... As soon as I get a job, insomnia hits. The lack of sleep could be contributing to my breakouts. I also have less time to make (healthy) food and to eat, plus the fact that I'm stressed makes me not even feel like eating much.

Anyway, thank you so much for the suggestions. I think they might help.

u need to release ur stress out, ther are multiple of ways of doing this, aerobic excersies, u can hit a punching

bag, u can take pills (don't recommend it htough), u can setup a room with calm music and relaxing setting (like

adding an aquarium, paint the room a pale calm color like blue or green, relaxing chair, ceiling fan), get a

hobby that relaxs u just try some of these things

First of all, obviously getting enough sleep and eating properly will help make difficult situations more copable.

This is part of the problem... As soon as I get a job, insomnia hits. The lack of sleep could be contributing to my breakouts. I also have less time to make (healthy) food and to eat, plus the fact that I'm stressed makes me not even feel like eating much.

Anyway, thank you so much for the suggestions. I think they might help.

If you have no time for preparing foods, try snacking on fruits / berries / nuts, and making quick salads for lunches or dinner. That's my best advice as far as that. If insomnia hits, exhausting yourself through exercise can be a good remedy, as can meditation (which is scientifically proven to boost melatonin [sleep regulating chemical in your brain]).

I agree with Rubber sheep about the breathing. Even just a few minutes of it.

Some simple, gentle exercises/yoga combined with breathing is what I do. I try to do it every morning, even if only for 15 minutes or so.

Here's a simple protocol that you can vary if you know a little yoga;

Stand straight, drop your tailbone toward the floor and imagine your spine lengthening up through the crown of your head. Relax your shoulders back and down and lift your sternum. Then just begin taking in deep inhales as you raise your arms above your head, deep exhales as you lower them. Do this about 8 times. You can also try coming up on your tiptoes as you raise your arms. This adds difficulty and increases concentration.

Another simple one is to get on your hands and knees. As you inhale reach your chest forward and draw your shoulders back. As you exhale, round your spine, tuck your chin and tailbone and bring your butt to your heels and your forehead to the floor. Move through this 8 times. Concentrate on moving WITH your breath, and counting out the reps also keeps you focused.

Do any other stretching/yoga you want.

Then lie on your back and take in 12 breaths. Try to count your breaths. Try to fully inflate your chest first, and then let your belly expand. As you exhale, empty your belly first, then your chest.

You can do other things like adding a 1 count pause at the top of each inhale and the bottom of each exhale. Try to notice the nourishing effects of the inhale and the emptying/calming effects of the exhale during the pause.

Another exercise is to gradually increase the length of the inhales and exhales. Start with 3 counts for each inhale and 3 for each exhale. Do 2 cycles of breath, and then move up to 4 counts. Continue until you're up to 10 or so counts, doing 2 breaths at each number.

There's a little regimen to try. There are numerous other breathing exercises to get into if you're interested, but best to start simple.

p.s. I'm a yoga teacher.. :D

I agree with Rubber sheep about the breathing. Even just a few minutes of it.

Some simple, gentle exercises/yoga combined with breathing is what I do. I try to do it every morning, even if only for 15 minutes or so.

Here's a simple protocol that you can vary if you know a little yoga;

Stand straight, drop your tailbone toward the floor and imagine your spine lengthening up through the crown of your head. Relax your shoulders back and down and lift your sternum. Then just begin taking in deep inhales as you raise your arms above your head, deep exhales as you lower them. Do this about 8 times. You can also try coming up on your tiptoes as you raise your arms. This adds difficulty and increases concentration.

Another simple one is to get on your hands and knees. As you inhale reach your chest forward and draw your shoulders back. As you exhale, round your spine, tuck your chin and tailbone and bring your butt to your heels and your forehead to the floor. Move through this 8 times. Concentrate on moving WITH your breath, and counting out the reps also keeps you focused.

Do any other stretching/yoga you want.

Then lie on your back and take in 12 breaths. Try to count your breaths. Try to fully inflate your chest first, and then let your belly expand. As you exhale, empty your belly first, then your chest.

You can do other things like adding a 1 count pause at the top of each inhale and the bottom of each exhale. Try to notice the nourishing effects of the inhale and the emptying/calming effects of the exhale during the pause.

Another exercise is to gradually increase the length of the inhales and exhales. Start with 3 counts for each inhale and 3 for each exhale. Do 2 cycles of breath, and then move up to 4 counts. Continue until you're up to 10 or so counts, doing 2 breaths at each number.

There's a little regimen to try. There are numerous other breathing exercises to get into if you're interested, but best to start simple.

p.s. I'm a yoga teacher.. :D

When i was in high school i was in a yoga class. I found it very relaxing and helpful. I hadn't thought about using it to clear my skin. What kind of schooling is involved in becoming a teacher. I'd be very interested to know. Thank you.

Camomile tea apparently contains some chemical that makes the brain relax, have you tried it? And also helps with insomnia. Eating celery also does something.

Lavendar and jasmine oils are great too, mmm...

Camomile tea apparently contains some chemical that makes the brain relax, have you tried it? And also helps with insomnia. Eating celery also does something.

Lavendar and jasmine oils are great too, mmm...

No, I haven't tried chamomile tea. Thanks for the tip.

I'm getting the hang of my job now so it's not so stressful, and already my skin is going back to normal. :)

i agree that exercise is the best thing for stress. some cardio type stuff like running or swimming or something is invaluable for me during times i am stressed (most of the time :))

and the worse thing for stress? stressing about it!! lol! its a vicious circle i know but go for a run seriously youll feel better for it.