Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest tired of this shish

Exfoliating

How the hell is one supposed to exfoliate to at least minimize or better the appearance of scars if everytime one tries to exfoliate you get a damn giant golf ball on the side of your face?!!

I understand about the purging phase, but how long is that supposed to last?! Isn't exfoliating supposed to help acne precisely? I have been exfoliating for the past month with a soft bristle toothbrush in small circular patterns in conjunction with my Biore salicylic acid face wash for about 1-2 minutes. Then I pat dry and apply clyndamicin foam all over wait for full absorption for about 15-20 minutes and then apply BP all over. My face doesnt really get irritated from the products, I just get a little red from the exfoliating. I don't do it like a mad person, but one has to be just a tad aggressive in order to treat the scarring. I know this isn't the best solution for semi-permanent problems like pitted scarring, but it really is helping my complexion. I started this every other day, but had to reduce it to 1-2 week after the 2nd week because everytime I did it it just kept bringing breakout afer breakout! Even now that I do this less, I still get breakouts!!!

How the heck is a human being supposed to exfoliate if it keeps bringing up the same problem your trying to get rid of in the first place??!! :wall:

:doubt: Urrrgh! :Frustration End:

Depending on your method of exfoliation, I really think daily exfoliation is awful! I think it's way too much and might make even people who don't tend to breakout to do so.

I used home microdermabration once a week on average and it reduced my breakouts by at least 90%.

What brand you use...?

I use Dermnew. I assume any or most crystal microderms are good and there are others too.

In the past month I've been using the vinegar method and am VERY satisfied with it. By the way, I used it for the first 3 weeks no problem. Then I got some kind of rash or skin reaction (not a breakout) so I backed off of it for 3-4 days and now I do it only 2-3 times a week without problems. I just think there's a limit to how much one can and should exfoliate. Skin can only renew itself that fast.

I use Dermnew. I assume any or most crystal microderms are good and there are others too.

In the past month I've been using the vinegar method and am VERY satisfied with it. By the way, I used it for the first 3 weeks no problem. Then I got some kind of rash or skin reaction (not a breakout) so I backed off of it for 3-4 days and now I do it only 2-3 times a week without problems. I just think there's a limit to how much one can and should exfoliate. Skin can only renew itself that fast.

True true...I think I'll ease off although I've already done that. Limited to once or twice a week. But now that I"m broken out, I'll simmer my next exfoliation to another week just to give my skin a break from the new breakouts...it's gonna be hard though. That stuff can get pretty addicting especially when you start seeing benefits.

I also tried the vinegar stuff...made my skin waay to dry...everytime I tried putting my acne potions on, gave me a baaad burn.

Tired, I think you will see the same benefits and more by exfoliating less. Skin just can't renew itself fast enough for daily exfoliation, no matter how young you are or how fast your skin heals. It just rebels by breaking out or getting a rash. Think of baby skin (the best and youngest) and what happens to it or even kids.

You know what my problem is? That I am constantly dry and my skin is constantly flaky so that when I exfoliate there is always something there to shed off. I am ALWAYS peeling. Ironically, I also have VERY oily skin. In the mornings after my wash and throughout the mid-day my face is like a desert and then through 2-10pm my face is extremely oily. By bed time after my wash again, I am dry. Of course, it's the washing that's drying it, but although I suffer from extremely oily skin ONE wash is enough to dry me to the point of extreme flaking which in turn needs exfoliation so that my face doesnt' look like SHISH the next day. If I try to control the extreme oil in the day anti oil moisturizers/oil blotters, etc...--I BREAKOUT! I'm on anti-bios and even then no ease on the breakouts....and did the whole accutane thing a long time ago, don't want it again to tell you the truth (if I can avoid it)

...honestly this is torture....

No matter what I do, I breakout all except when I'm extremely dry. But honestly I think I prefer to look like the Freddy Krueger from the east, dry and scaly with no breakouts then be moist and plump with all the oily breakouts.

Exfoliating is really good for your skin because it gets rid of all the dead skin which can clog your pores and produce heaps of breakouts but from the sounds of things you might be exfoliating too much and too roughly. When you exfoliate too much its just like over cleansing and your skin produces more oil to make up for the loss :naughty:

Also exfoliating with a toothbrush sounds a bit harsh... If it is the exfoliator is too harsh then its going to ruin your skin and damage capillaries which leaves all those little red marks...

I think that instead of exfoliating with a toothbrush you might want to try dermalogica's daily microfoliant, its a gentle exfoliator which you can use twice daily so it can still get rid of all the dead skin but still take care of your skin. It's one of my staples and leaves my skin feeling soft and refreshed :wub: Or you could try just using baking soda like someone else suggested :think: hmmm, but i'd just try to lay off the toothbrush, cuz it might just be the toothbrushes they sell here, but they are usually too rough to use it for a daily exfoliator...

Yes, I agree with MH, you just need to find a milder method of exfoliation. Believe me, nobody understands you better than me about the oily skin - I HATE my oily skin and am really looking into whatever methods possible to solve it. I've read a few days ago that Vitamin B5 helps. Has any of you tried this?

Can all the vitamin B's help?

How the hell is one supposed to exfoliate to at least minimize or better the appearance of scars if everytime one tries to exfoliate you get a damn giant golf ball on the side of your face?!!

I understand about the purging phase, but how long is that supposed to last?! Isn't exfoliating supposed to help acne precisely? I have been exfoliating for the past month with a soft bristle toothbrush in small circular patterns in conjunction with my Biore salicylic acid face wash for about 1-2 minutes. Then I pat dry and apply clyndamicin foam all over wait for full absorption for about 15-20 minutes and then apply BP all over. My face doesnt really get irritated from the products, I just get a little red from the exfoliating. I don't do it like a mad person, but one has to be just a tad aggressive in order to treat the scarring. I know this isn't the best solution for semi-permanent problems like pitted scarring, but it really is helping my complexion. I started this every other day, but had to reduce it to 1-2 week after the 2nd week because everytime I did it it just kept bringing breakout afer breakout! Even now that I do this less, I still get breakouts!!!

How the heck is a human being supposed to exfoliate if it keeps bringing up the same problem your trying to get rid of in the first place??!! :wall:

:doubt: Urrrgh! :Frustration End:

Hmm. I exfoliate twice a day gently with a toothbrush just like you do, but I've never had a breakout as a result of it. The big difference between what you do and what I do is that a) I exfoliate a dry face before I wash it, whereas you are rubbing an SA wash into your face (which means that the SA is absorbing into your skin and thus can interact with other chemicals that get there too like the antibiotic foam and the BP...) and b) I don't use clyndamycin foam. I think while your skin might not feel super irritated that it nevertheless is quite irritated from the combination of the exfoliation and all those chemicals. If I were you, I'd get rid of the Biore wash since if you are manually exfoliating a chemical exfoliator will probably hurt more than help, find a non medicated face wash, try dry exfoliation (very gently!), and consider getting rid of the foam since BP on its own should be quite enough.

Cool, although I'm not too sure about your SA theory, I believe you may be right in regards to ditching the clyndamicin foam. I tend to get addicted to things that make my scarring look shallower, even if it's just a temporary day solution. When I use clyndamicin, it acts like yeast on bread--it raises my scars to the point when you don't see them at all so I use it as an alternative to make up. On the other hand, throughout the mornings i look stretchier than old leather. The BP/Clyndamicin combo, I've read on books work synergistically because one helps the absorption of the other--it actually never caused me a problem other than positive, but if I want to help my texture a little and continue my exfoliation I can't have another irritant add-on. I may try your dry face method, but this time I think I'll take Mad's advice and try a microexfoliator instead. Mad--how does the baking soda work?

Hopesprings--I've also heard about Vit B's helping in the renewal process; same book where I read about the BP/Clyndamcin combo (Acne for Dummies). Although, I was only able to skim through that page. I am actually taking a B complex--not intentionally for my skin, but because it has energetic properties. I've just started on the supplements 2 weeks ago so I can't say much as far as results, although I've heard eating fish is good because it contains selenium and folic acid which have antioxidant properties that prevent cellular damage. B12 found in many B-Complex vitamins have high cellular synthesis--more red blood cell production which can promote more oxygen to the skin. I don't know if all the B's help, but more likely you could get an answer for that in the Diet section of the board. Point in fact, it doesn't hurt to try.

I started the toothbrush exfoliation method last week and am pleased with the results. Skin feels much smoother and all the dry flaky stuff is gone(even my dermatitis is healing).

I just put a little water on the brush and use it gently. Then wash with soap and water---no other products.

How soft is the brush and how long you do it?

I'm using a medium brush(because I already had it but will buy soft next time).

I only make a few very gentle passes on each cheek, nose, and forehead.

My face isn't doing too well lately and I'm not even exfoliating. I don't think I'm going to do that anymore for a long while.

I was also exfoliating with a toothbrush for my pitted scarring. At first I thought it was working, but now Im not sure if its actually made it worse. There are definately two pitts which to me look deeper now?? Anyway, I decided to ditch this method last week and am now using a home glycolic peel kit (loreal). Ive only used it once so far and cant say that it has done anything as yet, but you have to do it 3 times a week for 4 weeks. It didnt break me out tho - thank god! I googled it and there were some quite good customer reviews about it - some saying that it definatly helped to lessen the look of their acne scarring. So, Im hopeful and praying that this will work. Will keep you updated.

The exfoliation made your scar look deeper because it was already that size to begin with. When you removed all the surface debris, you were actually revealing what was hidden by all of the dead skin, dirt and everything else. The exfoliation didn't cause your scar to be deeper, per se. The real appearance was revealed.

Mmmm that was also my first thought, but I stopped cos I got worried that I was damaging my skin more. Now I dont know what to do. I used the peel again last night and Im not 100% sure, but I think it MIGHT be slightly improving the texture of one of my cheeks? I do think tho that it will be a slow process to see a whole big difference. Are you saying that without a doubt you feel that the toothbrush method is working at getting rid of your indented scars? Keep us updated - PLEASE!!!

Mmmm that was also my first thought, but I stopped cos I got worried that I was damaging my skin more. Now I dont know what to do. I used the peel again last night and Im not 100% sure, but I think it MIGHT be slightly improving the texture of one of my cheeks? I do think tho that it will be a slow process to see a whole big difference. Are you saying that without a doubt you feel that the toothbrush method is working at getting rid of your indented scars? Keep us updated - PLEASE!!!

No, I never said that it was getting rid of my indented scars, but it is definitely helping mask them or at least improve the texture of it (softening). Right now it is hard to see results because my Doxy is causing me to develop weird redness that just seemed to come out of the blue. This I speak of in a matter of days because I ran out of meds and stopped them for a couple of days. I seem to have developed some itchy redness that has spreaded to my lips and is currently making my indentations look red so they look worse currently. My skin is pretty irritated without warrant right now, so I stopped the exfolitation for fear of new breakouts. Nicoleever, definitely continue your exfoliation if your skin is under the right conditions because in the long term exfoliation may not get rid of your indentations, but I have no doubt that they can transform them in shape (i.e.: softer, MABEY minimize depth not width) or at least temporarily plump your skin so that they are not as visible. This is due to the fact that stimulation increases bloodflow to the area and plumps your skin up. Cleaner skin clear of other imperfections, I believe deviates a lot of the attention from scars rather than the opposite.

The day I got the red rash I remembered something I did unconciously. The night prior to that while I was washing, my skin was dry and I started using my fingertips to rub it in circular motions. Little rolls of skin began to come off. This is probably what caused my scarring to look red the other day as if I had exploded in acne and not the stopping of the Doxy like I thought. Today I wake up and I'm less red and the appearance of my scars are once again masked. I have also stopped using the BP, Clindamycin, but started on the Doxy again.

Now that I'm back on the Doxy again, I'm going to try to be a little bolder and do a little more abrasive exfoliation with the toothbrush once again, even if it's only once a week. I think that in the long run it'll benefit my skin in other ways even if it does nothing for my scars.

Can you also exfoliate your neck with a toothbrush, as i get alot of whiteheads there and think its due to dead skin etc.?

a toothbrush lol. Go out and get one of those microderm kits from the store it would probably work better and easier. Make sure u clean the toothbrush really well if u keep using that.

Nah alot use toothbrushes to get rid of flaky dry skin and dead skin cells, i wouldn't use the same toothbrush for my teeth obviously, i just wanted to know if it would be ok to gently exfoliate the neck too.?

a toothbrush lol. Go out and get one of those microderm kits from the store it would probably work better and easier. Make sure u clean the toothbrush really well if u keep using that.

tommy boi, I think that what Keith meant above is that you must still wash your toothbrush to rid it of surface debris after each exfoliation---of course you wouldn't be using the same toothbrush to wash your teeth. If your face skin can handle the abrasion then your neck shouldn't be a problem.

Ok cheers, what would you say, do it once everyday, i did it lastnight and my skin was alittle red, but it seems smoother today.?