Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
425bear

Elevated Androgen level

I have mild elevated androgen level, does that mean I have PCOS or I will have it later in life? Do all women who has PCOS has higher androgen level?

thanks.

Hmm, not really sure about that. I know that PCOS usually entails higher androgen levels, but I'm not sure if that's the only cause of it.

One thing that I envy about women with PCOS, is that it seems like they go on a higher protein diet and their acne goes away quickly.

Though I don't have PCOS, a high carb diet definitely increases male hormones in myself. When most of my calories come from fruits and complex carbs, I get acne, but I also notice that my leg hair starts growing MUCH faster. I even think my chest gets slightly smaller.

thanks ladies. Mine is a bit higher and Im wondering would Yasmin gonna help me? My derm recommend me to take it since I have very oily skin since I was 13. Im 27 now.

thanks.

One thing that I envy about women with PCOS, is that it seems like they go on a higher protein diet and their acne goes away quickly.

Though I don't have PCOS, a high carb diet definitely increases male hormones in myself. When most of my calories come from fruits and complex carbs, I get acne, but I also notice that my leg hair starts growing MUCH faster. I even think my chest gets slightly smaller.

I'm on Yasmin, and so far, I love it. I was on accutane before, so I can't say if the Yasmin is the sole reason for my drier skin, but it's not making it any more oily or acne-prone.

High androgen levels don't necessarily mean that you have PCOS. You have to have several other symptoms as well, and you can get an ultrasound of your ovaries for a more reliable diagnosis. Yasmin would definitely help you with reducing androgens (as well as excess hair, oily skin and acne). Don't expect a miracle from Yasmin though...you have to be patient. It took me 8 months to see noticable results on Diane-35 (similar to Yasmin). Good luck!

As other posters aleady pointed out, just because your andorgens are high, it doesn't mean you have PCOS. I usually have high androgens (high or boderline high). They've always been on the high side. I grow hair on my belly (happy trail) and I have some nipple hair too (I remove all unwanted body hair religiously)......I have acne, but I've never had an ovarian cyst (to my better knowledge)

I've had a few hormone tests because of acne or lack of periods......and every time my androgens are on the high side, sometimes "out of spec." My gynos have said it's because I'm skinny. I'm not that skinny but my body fat % hovers below the 18% mark. If it wasn't for my birth control pills I probably wouldn't have had periods..........Increasing my body fat to 18-19% reduces my andrognes to borderline normal/high levels.....If I'm at 20% body fat I'm right smack in the middle of the normal range.......

It would be nice if all I had to do was keep my body fat over 19% to cure my acne, but undoubtedly there are other factors at play that I don't understand at the moment........

Hi, I just joined the board. I don't think it means you have or will have PCOS. I'm 47, have had the acne & oily skin since I was 12. In my 20's I had the hair growth (which never goes away, even after your hormones are fixed.) The doc said I had slight excess androgens. By the next year, they had corrected themselves. Go figure.

Anyway, totally regular periods all my life, no ovarian cysts, perfect blood sugar, etc. No PCOS. While I was on BC pills in my late 20's, I took the opportunity to get some electrolysis on my chin, so that hair is gone now.

The acne remains. Benzamycin, then Benzaclin once a day worked for me, but became too drying at 40, so I made up a regimen of 5% BP followed by Cleocin T lotion once a day. (Lotion meaning it has a built in moisturizer.) Works great, but I just don't want to be using antiobiotics on my face indefinitely.

So I started the Clear Skin Regimen yesterday. Moisturizer...perhaps the missing link? BP has always worked, so I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Since I'm starting out clear, it'll be easy to track. If I'm still clear 1-3 months out, it's a keeper.

Looking forward to reading more of your experiences here on the board. :)