Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
secretagent

HELP!!! Need advice for my 12 year old

Secretagent listen to me carefully,

If your daughter has severe acne and it's not responding to any treatments, you need to put her on Accutane immediately. Like, today.

90% of the people on this website are cranks. Don't listen to them. That's just the way the Internet works and people need to understand that. If your doctor is recommending Accutane, LISTEN TO HER, not kids on an acne website who DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. The facts are that many millions of people have taken Accutane, over the quarter century that it has been available, and nearly everyone who takes it is ecstatic with the results and suffers no long term side effects.

Here is the thing you really need to understand, though. Severe acne means scarring. For a girl, scarring can mean that her life is basically over. If your daughter is already getting severe breakouts at 12, she could conceivably continue to get severe breakouts well into adulthood.

It's hard for this to register with a lot of people who haven't been through it, but this an absolutely critical matter. Put her on Accutane immediately and hope she gets no scarring.

Severe Scarring = life is over. That's reality.

i dont think the derm will even allow accutane to be given so stop your whining, severe acne does not mean scarring, if you pick, you will scar, i have a friend who had severe acne, he started clearing up, and there aint no scars on him, because he didnt fiddle with it

accutane stops your oil glands from producing oil, which is a natural bodily function, stopping natural bodily functions is not a good thing. suffers no long term side effects? ask some people who were on accutane in the early 80's and perhaps they will tell you all the good things accutane did for them in the short run, accutane is a quick fix.

scarring doesnt mean your life is over. are you even certified to be telling people to put their not even teenage children on powerful drugs? Am i certified? no, but im not telling her to put her children on powerful drugs. Adios.

90% of people on this website i think have enough information about acne and causes, more than i think a derm does, the thing is some dont utilize it properly.

Retin A takes awhile to work ... 3-4 months for some people to get clear. Which concentration is she using? And is it the cream, or is it Retin A Micro Gel? RAM gel is preferable, and the strongest concentration is 0.1%. If that isn't what she's using, and she isn't seeing good progress, you might want to ask her derm to consider a new prescription.

Using BP with Retin A can be a little tricky, as both can cause dryness, redness and irritation. If that happens you might suggest that she spot treat with the BP and not use it all over her face.

If she is unable to get clear with the combination of the antibiotics and the strongest topicals, I think you should at least consider Accutane for her. It is a miracle drug for so many people. Of course, her doctor is the best person to give advice on that front, and I do not presume to know what is best for your daughter ... I am only saying, don't rule out Accutane because of opinions you see on this board. There are far too many people on here who are so obsessed with promoting their own pet acne theories, they completely fail to recognize the wide range of needs people actually have, and the wide range of treatments available for those needs.

Good luck to you and your daughter, I wish you both the very best.

90% of the people on this website are cranks. Don't listen to them. That's just the way the Internet works and people need to understand that. If your doctor is recommending Accutane, LISTEN TO HER, not kids on an acne website who DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. The facts are that many millions of people have taken Accutane, over the quarter century that it has been available, and nearly everyone who takes it is ecstatic with the results and suffers no long term side effects.

Severe Scarring = life is over. That's reality.

I am not a "crank." Were you intending to use the word "troll?" I'm not that either.

I am not a kid. I am 38 years old and have a 12 year old daughter, too.

I know what I'm talking about from personal experience. I am not against accutane. On the contrary, I am a supporter. But it needs to be used with caution and common sense. That little 12 year old girl, (who I can't remember if she started her period yet or not) would HAVE TO take birth control pills in order to take accutane -- hormones at a time when she shouldn't be fucking with her hormones. I simply suggested waiting on the big guns for just a few more years, when the kid is about 15 or 16 and use other methods until then.

Maybe Secretagent shouldn't listen to you. Are you a parent? Did you take accutane at the age of 12? Are you an adolescent girl? There are more things to consider for such a strong treatment for a young girl than just long term scarring. And as for the scarring, she's 12 with an abundance of collagen -- they heal 20 times faster than people 2 or 3 times their age.

I am only saying, don't rule out Accutane because of opinions you see on this board. There are far too many people on here who are so obsessed with promoting their own pet acne theories, they completely fail to recognize the wide range of needs people actually have, and the wide range of treatments available for those needs.

I am not obsessed and I have no "pet acne" theories nor any suggestions for weird and strange "cures."

I only suggest caution and moderation, especially with a young girl of 12. I have not only not ignored the "wide range of treatments available," I have made several mainstream, medical suggestions, such as topicals and PDT.

(I'm curious to see a picture of how severe this 12 year old's acne is. No doubt if it is already very bad, that it'll probably get worse in the next few years. I am not arguing that. But the severity of acne is often very subjective, believe it or not. Understandably. I suppose that if the kid has started her period, the doctor feels it's perfectly safe to put her on birth control pills and accutane, then by all means, she should do it. But as a mother, I would hope that she would make sure her daughter adhere's to all the medical advice very closely. It's one thing to do the treatment yourself, as an adult, and to be able to identify various side effects and health issues within your own body. It's quite another to know what another person is feeling and experiencing and, even at 12, the girl may not be able to identify and communicate those issues the way an adult can. I know -- I have a very bright 12 year old girl -- but she's still just a girl.

I am only saying, don't rule out Accutane because of opinions you see on this board. There are far too many people on here who are so obsessed with promoting their own pet acne theories, they completely fail to recognize the wide range of needs people actually have, and the wide range of treatments available for those needs.

I am not obsessed and I have no "pet acne" theories nor any suggestions for weird and strange "cures."

I only suggest caution and moderation, especially with a young girl of 12. I have not only not ignored the "wide range of treatments available," I have made several mainstream, medical suggestions, such as topicals and PDT.

(I'm curious to see a picture of how severe this 12 year old's acne is. No doubt if it is already very bad, that it'll probably get worse in the next few years. I am not arguing that. But the severity of acne is often very subjective, believe it or not. Understandably. I suppose that if the kid has started her period, the doctor feels it's perfectly safe to put her on birth control pills and accutane, then by all means, she should do it. But as a mother, I would hope that she would make sure her daughter adhere's to all the medical advice very closely. It's one thing to do the treatment yourself, as an adult, and to be able to identify various side effects and health issues within your own body. It's quite another to know what another person is feeling and experiencing and, even at 12, the girl may not be able to identify and communicate those issues the way an adult can. I know -- I have a very bright 12 year old girl -- but she's still just a girl.

Susan, I definitely was NOT referring to you or your posts. So sorry you took it that way.

NO NO AND NO, do not let a 12 year old take accutane, that drug is shit, it doesnt even work on some people, a drug that stops your glands from producing oil is a dangerous drug, there is a reason why your body produces oil, acne wont kill her, accutane might not either, but it could seriously damage her, being 12 her body might not even be able to cope with such things as an older person.

What is her diet?

How much water does she drink a day(being an athlete this is important)?

Energy drink consumption?

When did this happen?

What medication/ointments are using at the moment?

i dont even know what to say to this post. :rolleyes:

I second the comments made by LionQueen. Few if any of us on this site are medically qualified and, whilst some contributors offer a useful insight into their experiences, there is alot of inaccurate and biased information posted here which is best ignored and at least not to be taken above the advice of a trusted dermatologist.

I dont have kids but I am a moderate to severe acne sufferer. Based on my own personal experience, whilst I would be cautious, I would not automatically dismiss the possibility of using Accutane for a 12 year old member of my family, especially if a derm who I trust has recommended it. There are alot of horror stories posted on the web but the things the derm said that I found comforting were that (1) many of the potential side effects are described as rare and should subside once the medication is finished (2) the common side effects are relatively minor (e.g. dry/chapped lips, dry skin etc) and can be effectively managed (3) possibly the worst side effect - feotal malformation - is easily avoided by not getting pregnant; (4) if you experience other side effects or otherwise find it difficult to tolerate the drug, the dosage can be reduced or the medication stopped completely; and (5) it is the only drug that can possibly 'cure' acne in the long term. Other drugs dont cure acne but suppress it whilst you take them until you (hopefully) grow out of the disorder.

For what it is worth, my thoughts are that if you / your daughter are reluctant to start Accutane you should probably wait until you have satisfied yourself that the other available treatments are either inappropriate or do not work. That was the only way I became comfortable with the risks. For severe acne, the alternative treatments will tend to be systemic - i.e. more / alternative antibiotics or birth control, plus some form of topical. I'm afraid I dont know anything about PDT. Of course you could also try the diet / holistic thing but I personally did not find that helpful and I doubt that an average 12 year old would be able to stick the the rigours of any of the numerous acne diets. Best of luck.

My daughter who turned 12 in November has severe acne which has been getting progressively worse the last 6-10 months despite an aggressive regimen from her derm. Now she is taking 75mg Minocycline twice a day plus Nicomide once a day, for the past 3 months. This is the second antiobiotic she has been on and it really hasnt improved.

Today the derm suggested either phototherapy or Accutane. And of course since she is menstruating (duh that is why she has acne) she would have to also take birth control pills with the Accutane. And of course the blood work and preg tests.

Any suggestions? I am really afraid to put her on Accutane. The doctor doesnt think there is anything else. She is an athlete and this would just kill her if she experiences any muscle pain. I dont even want to think about the mental side effects.

I need advice from those who have had severe acne. Would you or have had your kids on Accutane. BTW The phototherapy is $400 a clip--four treatments every six months. We just dont have the $$$ for it. I need an alternative therapy. I dont want her to scar and the kids in school are really teasing her. HELP!!

PLEEEEEEEZ try a whole foods, raw diet (not raw fish) I mean LOTS OF raw vegetables, watch out for any HYDRONATED oils----its in EVERYTHING, so you will have to make your whole family adjust to resist the temptation. My husband and 12 year old did it for me and my fibromyalgia and acne problem has almost disappeared after 3 months. I am so much better for it! PLEASE just give it a try...it will be soo hard for her age. I mean NOOOOO SUGAR! NO SODA...NO CHEATING...The crap has to GET OUT of her body. LOTS OF WATER WITH A Squeeze of lemon will facilitate healing! ITs so true...you will have people argue about it being a fad, but its GOD's miracle...it may take a couple of months But I swear it will get it under control. Get her off any food that isn't natural. It will be a pain to do this, I know, I've done it and its hard to resist pizza...but NONE! I promise you won't regret it. It may not heal it completely but it will get it under control and manageable. ANd, it may even heal it. THE SUGAR hormone cycle is devasting especially at her age. Now... the real hard part...Eliminate ALL dairy and meat for a month. It won't kill her. ANd yes, she will lose weight. Supplement with nuts and seeds, beans, and spinach for protein. But no RED MEAT if you have to eat meat, get ORGANIC CHICKEN or FISH! you can try adding some dairy back in after a month, but I really recommend not eating it at all. GOOD LUCK!

TRY IT!

I have had acne since I was about 10. I am 20 and still suffer from moderate acne. I first took accutane when I was in the 9th grade and the drug did wonders on my skins. my cystic nodules cleared up within 2-3 months. I still suffer from acne but not as nearly as bad as I would if I was not on accutnae. Accutane have clear up my skin tremendously but now have a lot of visible scars that the acne kind of hid. I believe If the 12 year old girl has severe acne, accutane should be considered. HAVING SCARS CAN CAUSE DEPRESSION, LACK OF SELF CONFIDENCE, SOCIAL WITHDRAWL AND SO ON. I am a male and have plenty of scarring from severe acne so I know what I am talking about when when I say scars can lead to emotional problems in the future. I couldn't imagine how a female would feel about scars on their face, especially in this time and age where beauty and perfection is everything. My only regret was that my parents didn't take me to see the dermatologist when I was younger and suffering with severe acne. If I would have known about accutane back when I was like 11 I would have been on it like that. Oh yeah, and someone said that the only way you will scar is if you pick or pop your pimple, this is not true, a buddy of mine used to suffer from severe acne, he no longer has it but he has hypertrophic scars from where the acne was. So yeah, pretty much if you have severe acne, YOU HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING SCARS REGARDLESS IF YOU POP THEM OR NOT. There is also the argument that accutane will cause scarring, this is possible but then again, it is possible to get more scarring from acne you already have. But at the end of the day, I believe the choice is ultimately up to the parent. I believe the benefits of accutane definately outweigh the risks. If the derm has recommended Accutane, I belive the problem is severe enough to be on the medication.

I have a 13 year old daughter who has had acne since about the time she turned 10. Because of a family history of severe, scarring acne, I was right on top of getting her treated. As soon as over the counter treatments didn't work, I took her to a derm. She started with Differin, which wasn't strong enough and then on to Tazorac and then Tazorac and mino and now to Tazorac and cephalexin. She's still not totally clear, but it's good enough for now. However, the day the derm thinks she should go on Accutane (and I assume at some point she will), I will not hesitate to put her on. My mother was severely scarred for life from severe acne, and I will do everything I can to not let that happen to my child. Including, if my derm recommended it, starting accutane at a relatively young age. Not everyone has joint and muscle pain, so your daughter may not. My older son took accutane at age 15 and still contined in sports while he was taking it. He did seem to be a bit more tired than normal, but was able to function normally. I would just watch out for/be aware of side effects and go for it if her acne is severe. (By the way, my son has been off accutane for a year and is still clear. I know it's not that way for everyone, but I've seen what the drug can do and it's a godsend.)

My daughter who turned 12 in November has severe acne which has been getting progressively worse the last 6-10 months despite an aggressive regimen from her derm. Now she is taking 75mg Minocycline twice a day plus Nicomide once a day, for the past 3 months. This is the second antiobiotic she has been on and it really hasnt improved.

Today the derm suggested either phototherapy or Accutane. And of course since she is menstruating (duh that is why she has acne) she would have to also take birth control pills with the Accutane. And of course the blood work and preg tests.

Any suggestions? I am really afraid to put her on Accutane. The doctor doesnt think there is anything else. She is an athlete and this would just kill her if she experiences any muscle pain. I dont even want to think about the mental side effects.

I need advice from those who have had severe acne. Would you or have had your kids on Accutane. BTW The phototherapy is $400 a clip--four treatments every six months. We just dont have the $$$ for it. I need an alternative therapy. I dont want her to scar and the kids in school are really teasing her. HELP!!

PLEEEEEEEZ try a whole foods, raw diet (not raw fish) I mean LOTS OF raw vegetables, watch out for any HYDRONATED oils----its in EVERYTHING, so you will have to make your whole family adjust to resist the temptation. My husband and 12 year old did it for me and my fibromyalgia and acne problem has almost disappeared after 3 months. I am so much better for it! PLEASE just give it a try...it will be soo hard for her age. I mean NOOOOO SUGAR! NO SODA...NO CHEATING...The crap has to GET OUT of her body. LOTS OF WATER WITH A Squeeze of lemon will facilitate healing! ITs so true...you will have people argue about it being a fad, but its GOD's miracle...it may take a couple of months But I swear it will get it under control. Get her off any food that isn't natural. It will be a pain to do this, I know, I've done it and its hard to resist pizza...but NONE! I promise you won't regret it. It may not heal it completely but it will get it under control and manageable. ANd, it may even heal it. THE SUGAR hormone cycle is devasting especially at her age. Now... the real hard part...Eliminate ALL dairy and meat for a month. It won't kill her. ANd yes, she will lose weight. Supplement with nuts and seeds, beans, and spinach for protein. But no RED MEAT if you have to eat meat, get ORGANIC CHICKEN or FISH! you can try adding some dairy back in after a month, but I really recommend not eating it at all. GOOD LUCK!

TRY IT!

amber75, Do you feel you'll have to be on this diet forever? I've been on the candida diet for 3 weeks. It's similar to yours, except I can eat red meat. I'm trying to wean myself off of doxycycline. It would be really depressing to find out I can't ever eat fruit again.

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of replies everyone!! Wow what a great group of people you are!!

It has been a while since I have logged in. Been bizy you know how that goes.

Anyway for the moment we have decided to postpone the Accutane. My daughter has an appontment for next week but truthfully I really dont want her to go on Accutane, as miraculous as it has been for many people, the possibility of side effects, minor as they could be, plus the birth control pills, b/w and preg tests--for a 12-year-old-- is utterly ridiculous.

I had a long talk with my daughter and she is ok right now with not going on Accutane. I explained how I dont know how long her acne will be active. I am seriously thinking of going to another derm for a 2nd opin, and am very curious what he or she would recommend. If they say Accutane, well IDK. It just seems so extreme.

My daughter is cool right now with the condition of her face. Although some kids have said stuff, it is not upsetting her. She feels good about herself, and that is what is important. I have tried her on another regimen which seems to be helping out a little with clearing up the acne and redness. Also have her on an acne supplement for a month just to see if it does anything.

Funny thing is I used to be a writer for a health magazine like 20 years ago, and am quite familiar with the macrobiotic diets, etc., the allergy diets, you name it. I question her sugar intake sure, she is 12 after all. But she eats heathy enough. I can start an elimination diet, like no sugar for a month, and see if that works. Then try dairy (really she eats very little dairy), white flour, etc. But IMO it is hereditary as both my husband and I have had acne--my husband and his old sister had severe acne as teens. So diet may not really be the issue. My son has acne but his was adult onset like mine was and his cleared up after 1 month on standard acne antibiotics.

I also bought a 3 part system that seems to be helping. Again, anything new will work temporarily so I have to give it a chance. Her acne seems to break out more right before she menstruates.

My course right now is to get a second opinion. Its not that I dont trust the judgement of our current derm, but a second opinion is what is needed since the doctor isnt increasing the dosage of her current regimen. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks a bunch!!

Accutane is probably the best method. Her acne might be controlled somewhat but think to yourself, if she has severe acne at 12 years old it could last for a number of years, maybe even a decade and in that case she would probably end up on Accutane at some point down the road. If that situation does happen, it would have been best to go on Accutane straight away and both you and her would be wishing she did, you don't want any regrets.

P.S. Sever acne is much worse than potentional liver damage or depression. (sever acne makes you much more depressed than any drug could)

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of replies everyone!! Wow what a great group of people you are!!

It has been a while since I have logged in. Been bizy you know how that goes.

Anyway for the moment we have decided to postpone the Accutane. My daughter has an appontment for next week but truthfully I really dont want her to go on Accutane, as miraculous as it has been for many people, the possibility of side effects, minor as they could be, plus the birth control pills, b/w and preg tests--for a 12-year-old-- is utterly ridiculous.

I had a long talk with my daughter and she is ok right now with not going on Accutane. I explained how I dont know how long her acne will be active. I am seriously thinking of going to another derm for a 2nd opin, and am very curious what he or she would recommend. If they say Accutane, well IDK. It just seems so extreme.

My daughter is cool right now with the condition of her face. Although some kids have said stuff, it is not upsetting her. She feels good about herself, and that is what is important. I have tried her on another regimen which seems to be helping out a little with clearing up the acne and redness. Also have her on an acne supplement for a month just to see if it does anything.

Funny thing is I used to be a writer for a health magazine like 20 years ago, and am quite familiar with the macrobiotic diets, etc., the allergy diets, you name it. I question her sugar intake sure, she is 12 after all. But she eats heathy enough. I can start an elimination diet, like no sugar for a month, and see if that works. Then try dairy (really she eats very little dairy), white flour, etc. But IMO it is hereditary as both my husband and I have had acne--my husband and his old sister had severe acne as teens. So diet may not really be the issue. My son has acne but his was adult onset like mine was and his cleared up after 1 month on standard acne antibiotics.

I also bought a 3 part system that seems to be helping. Again, anything new will work temporarily so I have to give it a chance. Her acne seems to break out more right before she menstruates.

My course right now is to get a second opinion. Its not that I dont trust the judgement of our current derm, but a second opinion is what is needed since the doctor isnt increasing the dosage of her current regimen. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks a bunch!!

Hi Secretagent, I went to see a homeopathic doctor today because of my acne. I've been on antibiotics for 8 years, and want to get off because of all the potential bad things that can happen to me. He is going to work with me(he's also an M.D) because I can't bear going through acne again. I'm going to stay on the antibiotics for awhile, and he's giving me some small pills to take to strengthen my immune system, and hopefully get out of my system what is causing the acne. I'm 50 and have had it since I was 14. He did give me a few suggestions that I thought might interest you. He said that dairy causes acne in some people. My son was on minocycline for 6 months, and I told him to quit taking it. He has since been on a no dairy, no sugar diet ,and his complexion is actually been a little better having been on this diet for 2 1/2 weeks. He also said to eat plenty of organic fruits and vegetables. He said they are able to cure young people a lot faster than older people, because they haven't been on medications to mess their body up. I hope you can resolve your daughter's acne naturally. I know these antibiotics are only a temporary fix, and I would have acne again as soon as I stop taking them. I wish I would have tried to find the root of the problem 30 years ago, so I wouldn't still be dealing with this. Best wishes to you.

Listen to some of you people, you are suggesting ACCUTANE to a 12 year old girl! I'm a 19 year old male and took Accutane when I was 17, and I got quite a bit of side effects...not worth it at all.

Do not put your daughter on Accutane, especially at that age, trust me, it is not a good idea at all...

Secretagent:

Get your daughter to drink alot of water. And by alot I mean ALOT. Try going for a half a gallon a day for her. Get her on a multivitamin as well once a day, along with a Zinc supplement. Encourage her to eat healthy and stay away from the junk food and fast food. At least 8 hours of sleep a night is important too. Have her try out Jessfoliation as well, located here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=55414

Probably the most important thing as well, remind her to not touch her face. This will only aggrevate it and spread the bacteria to new spots. I have been getting clearer and clearer by the day and I have had acne since I was 12. I wish her luck!

Listen to some of you people, you are suggesting ACCUTANE to a 12 year old girl!

Ermm... Actually a medically qualified dermatologist who has actually seen the girl in question who suggested the Accutane. The rest of us just offered up our experiences. It makes me so mad when people who have a bad experience on Accutane basically try to rule it out for everyone else when it could actually help ...

Listen to some of you people, you are suggesting ACCUTANE to a 12 year old girl!

Ermm... Actually a medically qualified dermatologist who has actually seen the girl in question who suggested the Accutane. The rest of us just offered up our experiences. It makes me so mad when people who have a bad experience on Accutane basically try to rule it out for everyone else when it could actually help ...

Accutane is Accutane. There are much more logical and natural ways to treat acne.

I will keep this post short and sweet, but when my 14 year old son started getting acne, I decided to search the web before seeking medical advice. I came across a website http:www.natural-acne-treatment.info which provided me with some usefull tips and information.

This site helped me understand acne and the product purchased at this site really has worked.

cheers and good luck!

There are much more logical and natural ways to treat acne.

I have tried the natural/diet thing and it did not work for me. In fact, out of all of the treatments out there, I found it the least effective and the one that carried the most unwanted side effects. That said, I do not say to others don't try the diet thing because it may work for them. However, you tried Accutane, it didn't work for you, and now say that others shouldn't use it. What makes you think that your personal experience of acne treatments must be applied to everyone else?

I think in the end, listen to your doctor, ask lots of questions. Ask him or her how many adoloescents he's treated with with accutane and what the success rate was and how many rounds have they been on. Also, ask him what dose he wanted to put her on. Maybe a low dose throughout might be better? I don't know anything about phototherapy so I can't comment on that.

Cysts and nodules don't typically respond to any other treatments but accutane and if u decide to go with accutane it may or may not affect her athletic abilities while she is on it.

Accutane aside, why not just a birth control pill to see if it clears up her acne? Yasmine and Diane-35 is said to work wonders. Mircette worked great for me for a while.

Speaking from a personal experience, I have had acne since I was 14 and I am 35 now. Since I was 14, I did everything otc, antibiotics (whish really upset my stomach), I was on retina for years which didn't help at all, differin and a whole bunch of others which were ineffective. Accutane was by far the best for me, but I didn't take it until I was 30. I have a lot of scars on my face which my derm. told me he can fade away.

GL and I hope whatever u decide will work out for your 12 year old.

Guest tvirus_outbreak

I take back what I said about B5 after trying it. It gave me deabilitating side-effects and made me quite sick. I wish they would actually say what age you have to be to try B5 but they don't! I'm sending mine back soon and hoping to get a refund. A refund of my mother's money that is.

Hi everyone!!! Quick update. We went to another dermatologist, and he agreed that either Accutane or Blu Light Therapy would be the only choices for her next course of therapy. I mentioned that the Blu Light was cost prohibitive, and when I told him the treatments were $400 each he said they only charged $95. Not knowing that much about the different types of Blu Light therapy, I made an appointment. But after reading on the board here I realized there are two types and his is the non-aggressive. Anyway, I decided to try the regimen he put Emily on, which was increasing dosage on Mino from 75 to 100 mg and then he switched her from Retina Microgel to Taz and from Zoderm to Benzaclin.

I also emailed Jen to get more info from her on the exfoliation regimen she uses. Maybe if we are lucky that will help.

So for now I am still staying away from Accutane and Blu Light. IDK if it is my motherly instincts but I believe there is a less extreme course of action for my Emily that will work. The same PA we went to was ready to put my son on Accutane and then I held out and asked him to try a standard antiobiotic. Two weeks later, my son's acne cleared up!! I know, everyone is different, but I want to try other things before jumping into these two treatments. I will let everyone know how Taz and the stronger dosage of Mino works out, along with Jen's regimen. WISH US LUCK!!

Agree.

Like Neuve Wavo and Lion Queen also already stated, Accutane really might be the best solution.

A lot of people don't get serious side effects at all while on the drug. They simply ride out the 2-3 months (in most cases that long) being cautious of the sun, using lipbalm and a good moisturizer and maybe some eyedrops. What if your daughter is one of those people? If she is then it would just be a few months of taking pills and getting clear skin, which might last forever but probably atleast a few years (from my experience people without cystic or nodulistic acne don't get their acne back that fast, like within 2 years after the treatment).

If she's one of those people then Accutane simply might be the first choice instead of the last one. And if she isn't one of those people or if she for some reason might be too young for it (I don't really believe in that, it simply means you need lower dosages (which is a positive thing)) then:

You can simply quit those accutane. Just pay attention all the time to whats happening with your body. For example if she is experiencing sore muscles after doing sports and then just quit after talking to the derm once more or just deciding for yourself. It's just so much worth the shot. I've seen two people I know well that used Accutane. One is one of my friends which was 19 when he took accutane. He was a very active football player and it was summervacation. The sacrifises he had to make were not drinking alcohol during this period and wearing a baseballcap when playing soccer together with some sunscreen/moisturizer and lip balm. The other person was a female of about 30 years old and she only had to take accutane for 1,5 months with her non cystic/nodulistic acne because it cleared her up instantly without any sideeffects at all.

If this current regimen which I think will get you very far already still doesn't work enough, think about it again. There is basically no risk if you listen to the response of your body every day.

Of course it's accutane isn't a miracle drug that your body is meant to use but basically no acne product is. Think of the Benzoyl Peroxide which basically is a bleach ingredient which gets highly explosive in emulsion of higher than 50% Benzoyl Peroxide. Or Antibiotics that kill lots of bacteria in your body or (in your skin) including good ones messing up your immune system. Retinoids that mess up your skinstructure and make your skin more prone to (sun)damage. And natural products? My skin therapists customer list suddenly increased with 200% for the past 3 years since the natural cure / skin treatment shops got so popular, all because people are getting allergic reactions to these treatmens because it's not so natural at all to put them on your skin.

I'm not trying to scare you off here, it's just that Accutane doesn't have to be this bad/dangerous at all. The only way you can find out is by trying it. If it doesn't work you just skip this option for now and look for something else.

Anyway, for now, stick to this new regimen properly for atleast 2 months, preferably 3. You might want to check out the topical retinoids forum here since there is a relatively small but very fanatic group of retinoid users that all got their different regimens with just retinoids and moisturizer, retinoids+Benzoyl Peroxide, retinoids with AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid like Glycolic Acid)+ light therapy, etc etc.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=45

The Taz/Tazorac your daughter started to use belong to the retinoid family although it's not a real retinoid. It's just that the way it works is (very) similar to retinoids. It's quite new afaik I believe but afaik also one of the strongest retinoid options there is. That also means more irritation at the start so take it slow when you experience skin irritation or (heavy) dryness.

Benzaclin is BP (Benzoyl Peroxide) + Antibiotics.

Some interesting links with pics:

Tazorac user:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=83899

This ( http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=92576 ) girl uses:

- Differin (also a newer retinoid family topical, a bit weaker than Tazorac though, I'm getting my Differin Gel today! (yay!!)).

- Benzoyl Peroxide Pads (have heard very little about these but it's BP which eventually is all the same (if it works it works), the only thing is that this BP is in liquid form which should be more effective but at the same time also cause more irritation)

-Clyndamycin: the topical antibiotic in Benzaclin

-Tetracyclin: A systematic antibiotic very similar to Minocyclin (Minocyn)

I'd say this is very very similar to your daughters regimen :). She also has a great gallery log (thanks for sharing Junkalunk):

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...user&user=34487

I might seem a bit too fanatic about the Accutane but I'm just trying to help. I can imagine the situation very well and think it's great that your helping your daughter so well with this issue (I know a lot of parents just say be patient, you'll get rid off it once your married, or some similar utterly stupid myth). Don't worry too much though, that only causes stress and more stress = more acne! ;). Patience is the key with acne as you will see from the logs and gallerie s.

A useful link for acne derm products if things get too confusing: http://dermatology.about.com/od/topicals/a....htm?once=true& (links to other acne derm products besides these retinoids are at the bottom).

Good luck ;)

Thanks Yake. I have been reading the threads you linked me to. I am giving her new regimen 4 weeks just to see if there is any progress at all. I reason I am only giving it 4 weeks is to allow for 2 months on tane in the summer. It is not just the possible side effects of tane it is all the bloodwork plus putting her on birth control pills and having her take pregnancy tests. I will let you know.