Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I want to start out by saying that I think this is a great site. I like the fact that everyone can come on here and share everything from acne remedies/treatments to the emotional ups & downs of having acne. Well, the reason for my post is simple--I hope that through my words I can encourage some of you to try and be a stronger person.

My acne started when I was about 10 years old (mainly because I started my menstruation at a very, very early age). As a result, I was the ONLY child at 10 years of age with an acne problem. So, yes I went through the usual torment of being made fun of (however I always stuck up for myself) that I feel is important. I think people can say what they may--but it's up to you to stick up for youself and try an be stronger in the process. To be honest, my acne did not bother me as a child...I accepted it as a part of me...it was later on in life that I had problems accepting it...

As, I had gotten older (specifically in my teen years) the acne problem increased. At the age of 16 I started in my new High School. It was great. Making new friends, achieving certain goals and ultimately just being a teenager! However, as time progressed I began comparing myself to those other young women who did not have acne. I was not only hard on myself academically but also in terms of physical appearance. Finally, the depression took it's toll on me. So, what I did was (now ofcourse that I think about it--was a complete mistake) I tried to take my own life and overdosed on pills. I ended up in the hospital and I was hoping that I did not do any PERMANENT damage to my liver. Fortunately, I ended up leaving the hospital within a couple of weeks. I was healthy and somewhat happy. The pain of living with acne was still inside me. So, I was referred for psychological treatment. It was not easy at all. But, I started treatment and it did help a bit. Well, as the years passed I started taking different treatments for my acne (tetracycline etc etc) tetracycline was a big help. Well, I can't say that it erased all my worries of acne...but quite simply it did help me along the way. Just to let everyone know...I have tried probably everything on the market, lol.

Now here I am in my 20s i still have some breakouts and acne scarring (which I am looking into laser for). But, I have turned to more natural remedies as opposed to over the counter stuff. I am taking many different vitamins that help with acne (Omega-3 fatty acids, B-6, Zinc and Opti-Zinc) I also do at home treatments. I would have to say my skin looks way better. Right now, all I have to work on are the scars that have been the remnants of many years of having acne. I also must say that I know how EVERYONE on here feels. What you have been through (I have been through) what you have felt (I have felt) So, trust me I know. I still (to this day) have some insecurities about having acne however, I am trying to not let it rule my life. I think to a large degree I let it take over my social life...because of my own insecurities. Most, recently I went out with someone (on a date) and I told myself before I went out with him (be strong, don't come off insecure, look at him straight in the eye, don't tilt your face down, just be secure) and sure enough that is what I did. When he would look at me ...i'd look at him and I did not give off any insecurity. Sure enough the date went very well and we have been very serious ever since. The reason why I tell everyone this is because for many years I have found it difficult to let people look at me (without me wondering if they are looking at my zit). Although, at this point in my life I do not experience breakouts the way I used to...I still have some scarring because of my past. I can't say that I am Miss Secure but it has been something that I have worked on and will continue to work on. My mom told me (and i love her so much for the encouragement) she always says, "Always come off strong and secure" and that is what I have been doing. It has worked a great deal. So, that is my advice for many of you acne sufferers. Try your best and be strong...One thing I always think about is that I only have one life to live ...do I want to spend it hiding in my room? or, do I want to spend it--as god intended--by living? and, experiencing all that life has to offer? Yes, that is what I want to do.

To those of you who have contemplated suicide. I would say do not do it. Think about the people who love you. Also, think about the fact that (more then likely) the acne that you have will one day either fade away OR will become more mild as time passes (because that eventually does happen) I am living proof of it. Because my acne was a 100x worse as a child--teen. I say live your life to the fullest. Be around the people who love you and are a good source of encouragement to you. The last thing an acne sufferer needs is to be around negative people. I try and only surround myself with people who are optimistic. Also, the most important thing is to be optimistic--yourself. Remember, no one on this earth (even those with clear skin) are perfect. I always thought that having clear skin would make me complete. Because their are no other features about myself I've ever had a problem with...so, I've always said "If I did not have acne I'd be really happy with what I look like" but I have come to the conclusion that I have to work with it and know that even if I have acne/or scars I am not incomplete and I deserve to be happy...

I really hope this post will help some of you out there. I know it's long but trust me it's only a little bit of what I wanted to say...

NikNik,

while ur post does help a little but the real problem i think is that acne is stacking up with other problems in a

person life and if acne alone can hurt someone badly just think of what it can when stacked up with other

problems... i mean this is particularly true to me because while ive been getting my acne under control, i have a

lot of other problems in my life that are absolutly killing me and driving me off the deep end... i am glad that

you were able to overcome your acne but i think sometimes its more than just acne that drives people to go off

the deep end

One more thing. Along, with taking vitamins for my acne. I also do the vinegar/water treatment. Which I have to say really cleanses my skin.

ItalHawk,

I would have to agree with you. Actually, the fact that someone has stress can actually increase the acne problem. Because, as many know acne can be brought on by many things (stress being one of them). I understand what you mean. When I became suicidal in my teen years I was not only stressed by acne but also my grades. I was constantly trying to be the "perfect" student. Although, I did not mention the other issues I had (was mainly because this is an acne messageboard so I didn't feel the need to mention everything else) but I do understand what your trying to say. My post was mainly to help acne sufferers; I can't say it will help people dealing with a series of other issues...but, as long as someone takes something positive from it...that is fine with me...

Guest hopelessGuy

Welcome NikNik....acne at 10 sounds horrendous :cry:

This is a great place, I learned quite a bit here, get to vent and tell stupid stories for those willing to listen :D

*MOD EDIT*

NikNik,

That was a good post. I'm much older than you (38) and would like to make a couple comments. I've been dealing with acne since the age of 12, and yes, it has affected my life to a certain extent (self-esteem issues, etc.) But- here's the thing that you find out later in life. To your family, your friends, the person who loves you (spouse, SO), your children- acne DOESN"T matter. There are so many wonderful experiences in life. When you're older, you have the choice to let it affect everything- or not. I just wanted to say to any young person contemplating suicide (I know- I was one)- life DOES get better. Others will overlook your acne. Don't let it stop you from living your life and achieving your goals. Being older and wiser (hopefully!), I think the experience makes us be more empathetic toward others- and thus, better people overall. Live your dreams and don't let acne stop you from doing anything!!

while ur post does help a little but the real problem i think is that acne is stacking up with other problems in a

person life and if acne alone can hurt someone badly just think of what it can when stacked up with other

problems... i mean this is particularly true to me because while ive been getting my acne under control, i have a

lot of other problems in my life that are absolutly killing me and driving me off the deep end... i am glad that

you were able to overcome your acne but i think sometimes its more than just acne that drives people to go off

the deep end

I agree. Personally, for me, there is so much crap going on in my life now-but my life is always hectic. But the one thing I was generally always sure of was my confidence in myself. Now, because I suddenly have acne out of *nowhere*, when in my whole life prior to the last couple of months, I maybe had six zits in the span of five years, I feel about 100x worse. It's like, I look in the mirror, and all I see is everythng wrong with my life reflecting back at me.

Yes, and stress can lead into having greater breakouts. I heard acupuncture (sp?) can be recommended for some acne patients. I was always a very stressed out kid...constantly worried about something. I won't say that was the only reason that I had severe breakouts but what I WILL say is that it was a definite contributing factor to my acne...