Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
USDgirl

Birth Control

Being 24 years old, and having had acne (albeit mild) since 12, I'm sure you can imagine how SICK of it I am. Anyway, I'm basically clear everywhere but my chin. I've only recently started breaking out constantly there. The only thing I can figure is hormones, and so I'm wondering if the Pill has helped anyone, and what kind did/do you use? I'm hesitant to try it, as I was on it as a teenager and it had the reverse effect on me and my acne was at its worst when on it. But I also know that different brands can affect you differently. However, the Pill is my last resort, so if you think I should try something else first, don't be afraid to say it. Thanks!!!!

The only thing I can figure is hormones, and so I'm wondering if the Pill has helped anyone, and what kind did/do you use? I'm hesitant to try it, as I was on it as a teenager and it had the reverse effect on me and my acne was at its worst when on it. But I also know that different brands can affect you differently. However, the Pill is my last resort, so if you think I should try something else first, don't be afraid to say it. Thanks!!!!

I was on the pill for about 3 years (at least 3 different ones - Loestren being the last one I remember) and my skin went from good to moderate. I thought that the pill induced acne was bad then, but after having a baby a little over 3 years ago and probably having 5 "good days" since getting pregnant, I'd kill for the complexion on the pill.

Personally, I'd even go so far as to try an elimination diet before going back on the pill again.

The pill will definitely help with hormonal acne. If you live in Canada or the UK, try Diane-35 as it is the most effective BCP for acne. If you live in the U.S. Diane-35 is not available, but Yasmin is, which is also very effective. Both of these pills are the ONLY BCP's which have a progesterone that acts as an androgen blocker, and are therefore the most effective for acne.

Honestly, I would advise you to avoid going on the pill. Even if you did find one that cleared your acne up, you have to think about the consequences long term. If you ever had to/wanted to come off it for any reason, you run the risk of the acne coming back worse because of the changing of your hormones.

I personally don't think it's worth it. I considered it, then thought about the future and turned it down.

BIRTH CONTROL WAS THE ONLY THING THAT CURED MY ACNE! I WAS ON DEPO-PROVERA (THE BIRTH CONTROL SHOT)FOR 5 YEARS AND NEVER HAD ACNE UNTIL I GOT OFF OF IT! I GOT ACNE RIGHT AFTER AND WAITED FOR MY HORMONES TO GET USED TO IT THINKING THAT THE PIMPLES WOULD STOP COMING BUT THEY STILL KEPT COMING FOR 2 YEARS UNTIL I WAS PERSCRIBED TRI-CYCLEN BIRTH CONTROL PILLS WHICH ARE THE ONLY B.C.PILLS PRESCRIBED FOR CLINICALLY CURING ACNE. I WISH I STARTED THE B.C.P WAY SOONER 'CAUSE NOW I'M LEFT WITH RED SCARS ALL OVER MY FACE! PLEASE DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER. THE SCARS AREN'T WORTH IT IF YOU CAN STOP THE PIMPLES BY GOING ON TRI-CYCLEN.

Well it's May 3rd and this is my second day without a pimple. I hope I'm not speaking too soon. I'm on my third month of orthotricyclen. I have also been on Doryx and I use Differin and Duac. I believe my acne is homone related, but I didn't want to seem resistent to the therapy my derm wanted to try. Besides I was desperate! She was even hoping by my next appnt. that my new b.c. would have kicked in and start regulating my cycle and hormones.

I'm not for sure which med was the kicker, perhaps, all of them??

I definately support the use of b.c. For me, it was a better option than accutane.

I hope my experience is helpful.

Good luck!

Being 24 years old, and having had acne (albeit mild) since 12, I'm sure you can imagine how SICK of it I am. Anyway, I'm basically clear everywhere but my chin. I've only recently started breaking out constantly there. The only thing I can figure is hormones, and so I'm wondering if the Pill has helped anyone, and what kind did/do you use? I'm hesitant to try it, as I was on it as a teenager and it had the reverse effect on me and my acne was at its worst when on it. But I also know that different brands can affect you differently. However, the Pill is my last resort, so if you think I should try something else first, don't be afraid to say it. Thanks!!!!

I think it would be wise to talk to you doctor about the pill. If your doctor says it is ok for you and that you can take it. I'd do as the he/she recommends. Some people can't take birth control and certain types don't agree with certain people. So, i would say get the doctors advise on this first. Good luck, i hope it works out for you.

Yea, i was on the ortho evra patch back in 2004 and i was totally cleared. I could eat whatever i wanted, put every kind of oils on my face, and not even one breakout. But sadly the patch killed my libido and i stopped it because i thought that i could deal with acne but not with divorce lol.

Thanks for all your replies, guys - you've been more than helpful!!! I've decided to forego the Pill for now, for several reasons, one of them being that I'm trying something new that seems to be working well so far. I'm doing Dan's Regimen as usual, but I moisturize my chin with Olay anti-aging cream with beta hydroxies in it. So far, working like a charm!!!!

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!! :clap::dance: